Africa - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2004, 06:59 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 12:26 AM
I'm heading to Jinja, Uganda in the summer for three weeks as well .

Old 12-29-2004, 12:03 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
wouldn't a solution for AIDS increase poverty in Africa? If everyone was healthy, wouldn't there be an even more rapid population growth rate which will increase poverty even more than what it already is? There would be increased hunger, unemployment, and every other criteria comprising life in Africa. No pun intended, I'm just thinking what would happen if a cure for AIDS is found.
Often areas with secure and stable economies have lower birth rates, so improving the economies of AIDS stricken areas would actually help stabilize the population, and it would also help control the spread of AIDS. That is why debt relief is so important. It allows for the improvement of both economic and health conditions in the areas.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:08 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Often areas with secure and stable economies have lower birth rates, so improving the economies of AIDS stricken areas would actually help stabilize the population, and it would also help control the spread of AIDS. That is why debt relief is so important. It allows for the improvement of both economic and health conditions in the areas.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:21 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:26 PM
I am glad to see so many of you being moved to do something concrete to help the situation here in Africa. I think that even if the impact you have is small, being able to come here and see for yourself will infect you with the desire to tell others, to raise money, to donate time, to do whatever it takes to be a good neighbor to our brothers and sisters in the "3rd" world.

I know that for myself, having lived here in Mali, one of the poorest countries in the world, sometimes you find yourself feeling even MORE helpless. There is no turning off the TV, putting down the magazine, tuning out the poverty and the lack of resources that you see every single day. I walk out my door to a vibrant city teaming with life but also with garbage and raw sewage running alongside the streets. Beggars, some crippled, blind, and old, others young boys sent out to beg money to give to their Koranic teacher (essentially a form of child slavery that is technically illegal but thrives) ask me for money everywhere I go. I hear of a co-worker whose young baby died of complications from diahrea. I see the government officials I work with refusing to work unless they receive bribes. I talk with a young secretary who is thinking of becoming a man's second wife and try to persuade her that she is worthy of better than that. I see women working from sun-up to sun-down while their men sit under the shade and drink tea. And I am by turns enraged, disheartened, cynical and hopeful. Because I also am surrounded by friendly faces. By friends and coworkers who tease and laugh with me. I sit on the public transport and realize that I can understand a lot of the banter in the local language. I walk down the street wearing my Malian clothing and complete strangers call out to me saying that I have become a true Malian woman. I talk to a woman who has become my friend and see her drive to better herself and her family through her small business. I look down at the clasped hands of my boyfriend and I, our fingers, black and white, entertwined, together creating something beautiful.

So come to Africa. Come and have your worldview changed and your expectations re-altered. But realize that going will change you and that you will never be able to see the world in the same way.

Old 12-29-2004, 02:56 PM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Katey
I'm heading to Jinja, Uganda in the summer for three weeks as well .
how, who with and to do what?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:29 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 11:26 PM
this is awesome! i was thinking about going to south africa to do volunteer in orphanages in the near furure. some of the organizations i've been checking out are as follows..
www.globalcrossroad.com
www.crossculturalsolutions.com
Old 12-30-2004, 04:21 AM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:26 AM
ooh - i discovered crosscultural solutions last night - very good site!
will have a look at globalcrossroad as well