Afraid To Call Them Overweight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
The are at risk of being overweight!?!

Experts debate whether children should be called obese

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Is it OK for doctors and parents to tell children and teens they're fat?

That seems to be at the heart of a debate over whether to replace the fuzzy language favored by the U.S. government with the painful truth -- if kids are obese or overweight, telling them.

Labeling a child obese might "run the risk of making them angry, making the family angry," but it addresses a serious issue head-on, said Dr. Reginald Washington, a Denver pediatrician and co-chair of an American Academy of Pediatrics obesity task force.

"If that same person came into your office and had cancer, or was anemic, or had an ear infection, would we be having the same conversation? There are a thousand reasons why this obesity epidemic is so out of control, and one of them is no one wants to talk about it."

The diplomatic approach adopted by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and used by many doctors avoids the word "obese" because of the stigma. The CDC also calls overweight kids "at risk of overweight."

Kids are sensitive and at that age that really hurts. I think if you can help them try to lose weight without words that could potentially hurt them, that would be best. A sensitive doctor and sensitive parents should be able to do that.

Obviously being made fun of by other kids hurts even more, as do the potential side effects of being overweight, obese, whatever. I don't know, I just remember what it's like to be a kid (especially a teenager) and it makes me feel protective of kids. I understand the point in being direct but I still want to protect them, can't help that feeling.

Call them obese, already. Tell it like it is.

While strong language like that could be embarassing to some people, it could also act as a wake up call to people who need to lose weight for the sake of their good health. I figure if it might help the kids get healthier, it's worth putting a temporary dent in their self image (in a worst-case scenario).

MrsSpringsteen said:

Obviously being made fun of by other kids hurts even more, as do the potential side effects of being overweight, obese, whatever. I don't know, I just remember what it's like to be a kid (especially a teenager) and it makes me feel protective of kids. I understand the point in being direct but I still want to protect them, can't help that feeling.

I'm reminded of the movie "The Weatherman" and how sweetly the Nicholas Cage character worked with his overweight teenage daughter. It was both hilarious and touching.

There's a difference between overweight and obese. Obese means your health is at stake and it needs to be approached honestly.

i like the idea of calling a spade a spade, but since weight and body image and self-esteem are so inextricably intertwined in our culture, i think sensitivity is required when talking to a young teen about their weight -- would you care to induce an eating disorder in an impressionable child, probably every bit as unhealthy as being obese?

XHendrix24 said:
Call them obese, already. Tell it like it is.

While strong language like that could be embarassing to some people, it could also act as a wake up call to people who need to lose weight for the sake of their good health. I figure if it might help the kids get healthier, it's worth putting a temporary dent in their self image (in a worst-case scenario).

perhaps offer them tips on how best to purge after a meal?

I think there is a way to lovingly tell a child that they are obese and need to lose weight or it will make them sick. The whole family could engage in healthier eating habits and activities so the child wouldn't be made to feel bad about him/herself.

Kids are sensitive, yes, but their health is important. A little hurt for health's sake would be better in the long run.

Tell it like it is. Would you rather have your feelings hurt or have a heart attack, Diabetes.

nope, not that I know of. Those people including obese people need to be told and helped.

I've always suspected that my mom's constant nagging about her weight caused my sister to gain even more weight. :| However, I think a doctor who is good at dealing with children in a sensitive manner on the issue could do some good by gently pointing out to kids that they do need to lose weight for the sake of their health if they are truly approaching obesity.

This article seems to suggest that telling kids a "painful truth" will somehow fix the problem. In many communities safe places to play -- inside or out -- are nonexisent. Water fountains in schools are contaminated with lead and can't be used, and sodas and "fruit drinks" are cheaper and easier to come by than fresh fruit. The vast majority (double meaning somewhat intended) of overweight adults who lose weight -- gain it back...and then some.
It would be nice if instead debating "labels" this country could begin to address some of the probable causes of the so-called "obesity epidemic".

Irvine511 said:
i like the idea of calling a spade a spade, but since weight and body image and self-esteem are so inextricably intertwined in our culture, i think sensitivity is required when talking to a young teen about their weight -- would you care to induce an eating disorder in an impressionable child, probably every bit as unhealthy as being obese?

This is true. Average age of onset for eating disorders is 17, and within 20 years, 20% of these people are dead.

A little bit unhealthy I'd say..

You do need to talk to kids about it, and not sugarcoat it, but of course it's important to put it in terms of good health and feeling good, not being super thin.

My brother's 10 and he's overweight and has high cholesterol. He gets upset when I suggest he needs to eat healthier and continues to eat shitty food, but then he complains he's fat and has low self esteem. I don't know what to do. I say "I" because my parents are both relatively overweight and I don't see their trends chaning anytime soon, so they're not much help. It's frustrating, because I try to talk to him about it nicely and he just gets upset and defensive. I know the older he gets the harder it will be to reverse it, and I don't want him to get fucked up by going through school as the fat kid.

:sigh:

VertigoGal said:

My brother's 10 and he's overweight and has high cholesterol. He gets upset when I suggest he needs to eat healthier and continues to eat shitty food, but then he complains he's fat and has low self esteem.

What's so weird about this "debate" is that it's not like overweight kids don't already know that they're overweight. We're actually talking about not saying outloud in a loving, constructive context what everyone, including the child, already knows. They know and in some ways it's a cry for help. It's unfortunate (though probably not unusual) that your parents aren't available to intervene and set a better example but at least he has you and even if he gets defensive, I say keep at it as lovingly as you can.

:hug:

Justin24 said:
nope, not that I know of. Those people including obese people need to be told and helped.

Wow. Do you really think it's that easy? Tell them and help them?

For overweight and obese children I think the parents have to be educated first.

Irvine511 said:

ever known someone who has suffered from bulemia or anorexia?

I had a work acquaintance who died last year of anorexia. She was in her late 30s. As a teen her mother always criticized her about everything, always comparing her to the favored, more perfect, daughter, and even made her have plastic surgery in high school because she (the mother) thought her chin wasn't quite right. Very sad.:(

TLC has a show called Honey, We're Killing the Kids!

To help motivate parents adopt healthier lifestyles the show shows them projections of what they believe their children will look like at 40 if they continue living as they do. Most of the projections are scary.

The family is then given a new set of "rules" to change their bad habits. (exercise, introducing vegetables, etc)

I've watched the show a few times and some of the parents barely try to follow the guidelines and live healthier lives. :|

If a kid is overweight or obese. the odds of their parents being fat is insanely high. Healthy parents who eat sensibly and exercise do not raise fat children, as a rule, and ruling out health reasons for weight gain. The parents need more than a lecture on how to eat well themselves (and therefore for their children) but also then attention for the child abuse it quite frankly is. Neglect is not a grey area when you have failed to ensure your child is healthy and well looked after. It is a basic right for a child to be loved and raised healthy and well. Those who fail are silent criminals.

:angry:

WildHoneyAlways said:
TLC has a show called Honey, We're Killing the Kids!

To help motivate parents adopt healthier lifestyles the show shows them projections of what they believe their children will look like at 40 if they continue living as they do. Most of the projections are scary.

The family is then given a new set of "rules" to change their bad habits. (exercise, introducing vegetables, etc)

I've watched the show a few times and some of the parents barely try to follow the guidelines and live healthier lives. :|

This programme has just started here, and I cant wait to watch it. I missed the first episode due to us taking my mum out for dinner for her birthday. I'm surprised, yet not surprised that you say some of them are barely managing to fix their lifestyles. The adverts show the parents in tears knowing they are literally sending their children down a path of permanent obesity and chronic health conditions so if that cannot make them change, I ask, what on earth can? It's terrible.

I agree that childhood obesity is a problem--and I think that kids should be talked to about their condition, but only in a sensible manner. Deliberately being harsh won't solve the problem, I don't think, especially at such a tender age.

And after reading this, I think about the article I read in the paper recently about how some schools are no longer allowing kids to play tag and other games at recess because they're afraid the kids will get hurt. Are they going to cancel recess next? Or does that already happen? Stuff like that occurs, add to that the amount of time kids spend in front of a computer, and then people wonder why there's an epidemic of childhood obesity.

Irvine511 said:

:down: Now that was a real stupid moronic comment.

I feel much of the future health of our youth begins in the home and being properly educated at school. The education including more EXERCISE (there is not enough physical activities in schools) as well as nutritional and health education. Also, food offered on campuses should be re-vamped to healthier menus. Get kids away from TV, computers and VIDEO GAMES and get them moving!

I've been watching the TLC series "Honey we're killing our kids" and it is really an eye opener. You can grab a LOT of useful tips menu ideas and life changing information on this series. :up:

Carek1230 said:
:down: Now that was a real stupid moronic comment.
And ^that^ is a personal attack. I can understand finding black humor inappropriate for this topic--but there are better ways to explain why.

I don't think parents, friends, teachers--whoever--beyond medical professionals should be in the business of telling someone they are fat and obese.

BUT. . .it seems to me that a medical professional, dealing with a child or teen with a medical problem that the child or teen must surely know they already have, must tell the truth. I think the term "labeling" here is a misuse of the word. A doctor shouldn't be "labeling" anyone. If someone seriously overweight such that it is a threat to the health of that person, the doctor is not labeling they are diagnosing.

It just seems kind of crazy to tell someone who is obsese that they are only "at risk of obesity." That leaves the kid feeling good, yes--"Whew, I'm not there yet. Doctor says so" but may lead them to even take the doctor's medical advice less seriously. It's like telling someone who has cancer, you're "at risk of cancer." Big difference there.

The truth should be told gently, kindly, professionally, but it should be told.

I am not obese
I am not overweight
I am not Metabolicaly Challanged
I am not Big Boned
I am not full-figured

I weigh 300 pounds.......and I'm fat!

.........and I frigging LOVE myself!!!

Irvine511 said:

Do you honestly think that a doctor telling a child that he/she is obese for the sake of his/her health is going to lead that child to have an eating disorder? I realize this comment was somewhat of a joke, but that seems to be what you're implying here, and I find that ridiculous.

As a formerly overweight child myself, it wasn't anything a doctor said to me that brought down my self esteem. I could have understood that a doctor would be telling me that I was too fat for the sake of my health. It's the mean-spirited comments from my peers that brought my self esteem down at times.

Last edited:
It could be referred to as a diagnosis. Diagnoses aren't labels. They're terms used to classify an illness. It comes with directions as to what you do to cure the illness. This illness is treated with diet and physical activity.

XHendrix24 said:

Do you honestly think that a doctor telling a child that he/she is obese for the sake of his/her health is going to lead that child to have an eating disorder? I realize this comment was somewhat of a joke, but that seems to be what you're implying here, and I find that ridiculous.

i am saying that a lack of tact and sensitivity on the part of doctors and parents can lead a child to develop an eating disorder. of course a child needs to know his health is at risk, but as joyfulgirl has pointed out, it needs to be handled with extreme care and it isn't as simple as "you have the flu" or even "you have cancer" since it is tied up in behavior and social expectations, implicit in the diagnosis of obesity is condemnation and judgement, pretty much telling someone they are ugly (since in our society, fat = ugly). i get really upset when we start to think that what's best for a kid is brutal honesty, something akin to those trashy talk shows where they bring on a kid who's a pain in the ass and swears and dispresects his/her parents and then they send that kid to boot camp and the kid gets yelled at and made to do push-ups and starts to cry while the drill sargent kicks dirt in their face and the audience cheers and totally gets off on the comeuppance that little shit deserved.

there are good ways and bad ways to do this, and i would imagine a skilled, sensitive peditrician would know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom