Afraid To Call Them Overweight? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

My brother's 10 and he's overweight and has high cholesterol. He gets upset when I suggest he needs to eat healthier and continues to eat shitty food, but then he complains he's fat and has low self esteem.
What's so weird about this "debate" is that it's not like overweight kids don't already know that they're overweight. We're actually talking about not saying outloud in a loving, constructive context what everyone, including the child, already knows. They know and in some ways it's a cry for help. It's unfortunate (though probably not unusual) that your parents aren't available to intervene and set a better example but at least he has you and even if he gets defensive, I say keep at it as lovingly as you can.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
nope, not that I know of. Those people including obese people need to be told and helped.
Wow. Do you really think it's that easy? Tell them and help them?

For overweight and obese children I think the parents have to be educated first.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

ever known someone who has suffered from bulemia or anorexia?
I had a work acquaintance who died last year of anorexia. She was in her late 30s. As a teen her mother always criticized her about everything, always comparing her to the favored, more perfect, daughter, and even made her have plastic surgery in high school because she (the mother) thought her chin wasn't quite right. Very sad.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

TLC has a show called Honey, We're Killing the Kids!

To help motivate parents adopt healthier lifestyles the show shows them projections of what they believe their children will look like at 40 if they continue living as they do. Most of the projections are scary.

The family is then given a new set of "rules" to change their bad habits. (exercise, introducing vegetables, etc)

I've watched the show a few times and some of the parents barely try to follow the guidelines and live healthier lives.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:36 PM
If a kid is overweight or obese. the odds of their parents being fat is insanely high. Healthy parents who eat sensibly and exercise do not raise fat children, as a rule, and ruling out health reasons for weight gain. The parents need more than a lecture on how to eat well themselves (and therefore for their children) but also then attention for the child abuse it quite frankly is. Neglect is not a grey area when you have failed to ensure your child is healthy and well looked after. It is a basic right for a child to be loved and raised healthy and well. Those who fail are silent criminals.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
TLC has a show called Honey, We're Killing the Kids!

To help motivate parents adopt healthier lifestyles the show shows them projections of what they believe their children will look like at 40 if they continue living as they do. Most of the projections are scary.

The family is then given a new set of "rules" to change their bad habits. (exercise, introducing vegetables, etc)

I've watched the show a few times and some of the parents barely try to follow the guidelines and live healthier lives.
This programme has just started here, and I cant wait to watch it. I missed the first episode due to us taking my mum out for dinner for her birthday. I'm surprised, yet not surprised that you say some of them are barely managing to fix their lifestyles. The adverts show the parents in tears knowing they are literally sending their children down a path of permanent obesity and chronic health conditions so if that cannot make them change, I ask, what on earth can? It's terrible.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #22
Acrobat

I agree that childhood obesity is a problem--and I think that kids should be talked to about their condition, but only in a sensible manner. Deliberately being harsh won't solve the problem, I don't think, especially at such a tender age.

And after reading this, I think about the article I read in the paper recently about how some schools are no longer allowing kids to play tag and other games at recess because they're afraid the kids will get hurt. Are they going to cancel recess next? Or does that already happen? Stuff like that occurs, add to that the amount of time kids spend in front of a computer, and then people wonder why there's an epidemic of childhood obesity.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:30 AM   #23
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Quote:

perhaps offer them tips on how best to purge after a meal?

Now that was a real stupid moronic comment.

I feel much of the future health of our youth begins in the home and being properly educated at school. The education including more EXERCISE (there is not enough physical activities in schools) as well as nutritional and health education. Also, food offered on campuses should be re-vamped to healthier menus. Get kids away from TV, computers and VIDEO GAMES and get them moving!

I've been watching the TLC series "Honey we're killing our kids" and it is really an eye opener. You can grab a LOT of useful tips menu ideas and life changing information on this series.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:51 AM   #24
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
And ^that^ is a personal attack. I can understand finding black humor inappropriate for this topic--but there are better ways to explain why.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-06-2006, 12:52 AM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230

Do you honestly think he was serious?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:36 AM
I don't think parents, friends, teachers--whoever--beyond medical professionals should be in the business of telling someone they are fat and obese.

BUT. . .it seems to me that a medical professional, dealing with a child or teen with a medical problem that the child or teen must surely know they already have, must tell the truth. I think the term "labeling" here is a misuse of the word. A doctor shouldn't be "labeling" anyone. If someone seriously overweight such that it is a threat to the health of that person, the doctor is not labeling they are diagnosing.

It just seems kind of crazy to tell someone who is obsese that they are only "at risk of obesity." That leaves the kid feeling good, yes--"Whew, I'm not there yet. Doctor says so" but may lead them to even take the doctor's medical advice less seriously. It's like telling someone who has cancer, you're "at risk of cancer." Big difference there.

The truth should be told gently, kindly, professionally, but it should be told.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:56 AM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 06:36 AM
I am not obese
I am not overweight
I am not Metabolicaly Challanged
I am not Big Boned
I am not full-figured

I weigh 300 pounds.......and I'm fat!

.........and I frigging LOVE myself!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:

perhaps offer them tips on how best to purge after a meal?
Do you honestly think that a doctor telling a child that he/she is obese for the sake of his/her health is going to lead that child to have an eating disorder? I realize this comment was somewhat of a joke, but that seems to be what you're implying here, and I find that ridiculous.

As a formerly overweight child myself, it wasn't anything a doctor said to me that brought down my self esteem. I could have understood that a doctor would be telling me that I was too fat for the sake of my health. It's the mean-spirited comments from my peers that brought my self esteem down at times.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:36 AM
It could be referred to as a diagnosis. Diagnoses aren't labels. They're terms used to classify an illness. It comes with directions as to what you do to cure the illness. This illness is treated with diet and physical activity.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24

Do you honestly think that a doctor telling a child that he/she is obese for the sake of his/her health is going to lead that child to have an eating disorder? I realize this comment was somewhat of a joke, but that seems to be what you're implying here, and I find that ridiculous.

i am saying that a lack of tact and sensitivity on the part of doctors and parents can lead a child to develop an eating disorder. of course a child needs to know his health is at risk, but as joyfulgirl has pointed out, it needs to be handled with extreme care and it isn't as simple as "you have the flu" or even "you have cancer" since it is tied up in behavior and social expectations, implicit in the diagnosis of obesity is condemnation and judgement, pretty much telling someone they are ugly (since in our society, fat = ugly). i get really upset when we start to think that what's best for a kid is brutal honesty, something akin to those trashy talk shows where they bring on a kid who's a pain in the ass and swears and dispresects his/her parents and then they send that kid to boot camp and the kid gets yelled at and made to do push-ups and starts to cry while the drill sargent kicks dirt in their face and the audience cheers and totally gets off on the comeuppance that little shit deserved.

there are good ways and bad ways to do this, and i would imagine a skilled, sensitive peditrician would know what to do.