advice for fellow liberal Catholics - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2004, 09:27 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I attended a Catholic high school. Never once did they ask if I believed in Jesus. They even let me skip weekly chapel if I wanted.
Actually, I think that's great. It shows they weren't trying to convert you to their religion, which I find incredibly refreshing. I'm sure they felt that you were getting the religious education your parents wanted you to receive (at home, at your own church, etc.).

Old 11-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Who teaches you this crap?! You're really beginning to piss me off with your blanket generalisations, offensive comments, and your arrogance. You have at one time or another said something offensive about everyone but white conservative Christians.

Catholics have made mistakes, yes just like protestants. Please take a look at a history in theology before you spout off such drivel.

And please tell me what about liberalism conflicts with scripture that conservativism doesn't.

I don't think Jesus would approve of a captial punishment system.

I don't think he'd approve of tax cuts to the rich.

I don't think he'd approve of pre-imptive wars.

I don't think he'd approve of catering to the pharmaceutical companies why the elderly can't afford help.

Would you like me to go on?

If Jesus came down today, don't kid yourself in thinking he'd be a conservative, because he wouldn't. He also wouldn't be a liberal. But he'd come here and shake up a lot churches and these people who are apparantly speaking for him. And believe me he'd shake up whatever church taught you these extremely close minded beliefs you have.
What's the beef, sir? My spirituality ALWAYS comes before politics, science, anything else. Right or left, politics before Christ is not my way to live. I too disagree with a number of Bush's policies, and I'd consider myself a centrist before a republican. Politics are garbage, and you took my statement way too far.

If you only think political, here's why I am not a liberal:
- I disagree with abortion.

Thank you for reading.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:53 PM   #63
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
What's the beef, sir? My spirituality ALWAYS comes before politics, science, anything else. Right or left, politics before Christ is not my way to live. I too disagree with a number of Bush's policies, and I'd consider myself a centrist before a republican. Politics are garbage, and you took my statement way too far.

If you only think political, here's why I am not a liberal:
- I disagree with abortion.

Thank you for reading.
You're funny. So the only liberal issue you have issue with is abortion, so you claim that all liberalism is in conflict with the scriptures?

I don't have any beef except that you constantly make blanket statements, have nothing to back them up, and then say well I believe in spreading unconditional love. Like that will make it all better. Well your language speaks otherwise.

I agree no one should choose political party over their beliefs, but don't tell anyone here that their polical leanings conflict with their spirituality. Despite what you think you don't own the truth, no human does.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:25 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You're funny. So the only liberal issue you have issue with is abortion, so you claim that all liberalism is in conflict with the scriptures?

I don't have any beef except that you constantly make blanket statements, have nothing to back them up, and then say well I believe in spreading unconditional love. Like that will make it all better. Well your language speaks otherwise.

I agree no one should choose political party over their beliefs, but don't tell anyone here that their polical leanings conflict with their spirituality. Despite what you think you don't own the truth, no human does.
I am funny, if that's what you want to call me.

Not all liberalism. I may sound very Old Testament to you, but when God calls something an abomination, I don't believe in promoting it - referring to gay marriage. However, I certainly believe that if Jesus were to come back today, he would definately socialize with gays and other outcasts to society. God claimed prostitution was wrong, yet Jesus socialized with the prostitutes. No wonder he was hated.

I believe in unconditional love, absolutely, but I also believe in unconditional truth. Thou shall not kill. No exceptions. This might even get on your good side, but I believe that there is no sin that you cannot forgive someone for. I believe that God will forgive any sin as long as it is confessed wholeheartedly and the sinner is remourseful.

Politics in general is garbage. If my political leanings are somehow incorrect with God's intentions, it won't matter. My heart is in God, and that's what he cares about more. If I'm wrong about some political view I have, I'm sure he will let me know when I come face to face with him. God will judge how "funny" I am when the time is relevant.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:14 PM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I may sound very Old Testament to you, but when God calls something an abomination, I don't believe in promoting it - referring to gay marriage.
Old Testament? Maybe a little, but I was thinking more borderline fanatical.

God never called homosexuality an abomination, PLEASE READ YOUR BIBLE. This is man's law, which you are quoting. If it really was an abomination, then you might as well ban all seafood establishments because the same piece of which you speak of says eating shellfish is abomination.

Maybe Bush will put that in the constitution as well.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:05 PM
Quote:
I
I believe in unconditional love, absolutely, but I also believe in unconditional truth.
This is a thread discussing issues of liberal Catholics.

You keep bringing up the absolute truth of the Scripture, which I may remind you that NO Catholic, liberal or otherwise actually considers to be the final authority. Hence, your arguments here are completely out of place.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

This is a thread discussing issues of liberal Catholics.

You keep bringing up the absolute truth of the Scripture, which I may remind you that NO Catholic, liberal or otherwise actually considers to be the final authority. Hence, your arguments here are completely out of place.
Correct. The whole "infallible scripture as the final authority" teaching is a key core of Protestantism; it's nowhere to be found in official Catholic teaching. Mind you, I have nothing against Protestants, it's just that I'm not one.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:37 PM   #68
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Okay. Now that that issue has been nailed out, let's keep to a discussion of liberal Catholicism here as intended by Verte.

Thank you.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:12 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Hello friends,

I did not mean to heat up the debate, and I shouldn't have passed any judgement on you guys.

I apologize if I steered the discussion off shore. I think that Verte did offer good answers to my questions about Catholicism. Thanks again for that. I may be back for a few more Catholicism questions if that's not a problem. I'll try to be more understanding the second time around. Apologies again if I "spewed" my own perceptions/misconceptions about Catholic liberalism.

Your friend (I hope, anyways),
Macphistowannabe
Old 11-21-2004, 02:38 AM   #70
Refugee

machpistowannabe, as long as you like U2 you'll always be a friend...the minute you don't though....*shudders
Old 11-21-2004, 04:37 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

It's all good Macfistowannabe, there were things you hadn't been told about Catholicism. I'm always happy to fill people in. You're my friend!
Old 11-21-2004, 05:10 AM   #72
Refugee

Um, I know this may sound like an unfair question...but typically speaking, what do liberal catholics think of Dogma (the movie)?
Obviously no one here can speak for all liberal catholics....I'm just curious
Old 11-21-2004, 05:20 AM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
Um, I know this may sound like an unfair question...but typically speaking, what do liberal catholics think of Dogma (the movie)?
Obviously no one here can speak for all liberal catholics....I'm just curious
Doh.......I'm not familiar with the movie!! Anyone else?
Old 11-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
machpistowannabe, as long as you like U2 you'll always be a friend...the minute you don't though....*shudders
Uh-oh! Just kidding.

I would like to know how Catholic liberals interpret the story of Sodom and Gommorah (spelled right?). I know that it's not a stab that singles out homosexuality, but sexual immorality in general. Just interested in your perspectives.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:05 AM   #75
Babyface

i am a moderate conservative, but i think there is a case for the fact that God is not against capital punishment...He certainly handed out capital punishment, and although we are not Him, Jesus advised listening to your elected government.