Administration May Back Away from AIDS and Anti-Poverty Commitments - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2003, 02:47 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
As concerned global citizens we dissapointed to hear from sources that your request for 2005 for AIDS may be just $300 million more than appropriated for 2004, from $2.4 billion to $2.7 billion. This is less than half of the 1/3 U.S. share of the projected global need of $5.4 billion, and almost $1 billion short of levels authorized by Congress. Also we are concerned that the White House will not indicate an increase in spending in the coming year for core development accounts which are crucial supporting AIDS initiatives.We urge the Administration to propose a budget for 2005 that provides funding which meets the needs of the millions of people dying all of the world from AIDS, TB, and Malaria. We support the United States spending $5.4 billion for global AIDS, TB and Malaria in 2005. We respectfully request that you deliver on your promise to the world by proposing a budget for 2005 which will fully fund the United State's share of the world's need for global AIDS, TB, and Malaria.

As not only Americans but Global Citizens, we refuse to vote for any presidential candidate who doesn't indorse this platform. The pandemic must be brought to an end and can be brought to an end if only our government can muster the political will to make it happen. Our government seems to continue to lag behind on this marathon race when it should be a sprinting to put the fire out on this emergency. We commend Congress and the Administration for their work on legislation that when fully appropriated will result in $2 billion increase in global assistance, which will result in $1.2 billion extra for Africa . This needs to be appropriated urgently so that we get the money where it is needed

We the undersigned request that congress move urgently to release these funds and that the Administration review 2005 funding levels to ensure that they accurately reflect our commitment to Africa.
That might be starting point for you re: a letter .. what do you think???

Old 12-13-2003, 03:16 PM   #17
New Yorker

That looks great. Where's it from? Is it okay to copy and send?

Thanks Katey!

Cheryl

Old 12-13-2003, 03:28 PM   #18
War Child

Sure I wrote it up ..so if you want to use it fantastic.. please do..post it where you like if you think people will find it helpful..
Old 12-13-2003, 05:03 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Copying, pasting, sending and sharing. Thanks Katey!
Old 12-13-2003, 05:08 PM   #20
Acrobat

Where does this information come from? Last I saw, the AIDS spending was in the Senate to be reviewed in January.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:26 PM   #21
War Child

THE KAISER NETWORK:

Quote:
CongressDaily reports (CongressDaily, 12/11) The Bush administration has told cabinet departments that the administration's FY 2005 spending proposal will include "relatively small" funding increases for HIV/AIDS programs and the Millennium Challenge Account. The proposal will include $2.5 billion in new funds for the Millennium Challenge Account and $1.1 billion in additional funds for global HIV/AIDS programs, according to individuals familiar with Bush's proposal. Those amounts -- along with the funds yet to be approved in the FY 2004 spending bill -- account for 18% of the $30 billion in spending increases the White House promised would take place by 2008. If Congress approves the funding levels in Bush's proposal, most of the promised spending increases would be stalled until after the 2004 presidential election (Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, 12/10

DATA info is from sources in the Administration ( or elsewhere) that can not be named but that have given these reports or indications.

Quote:
The House this week approved the $820 billion fiscal year 2004 omnibus spending bill, which contains $2.4 billion for FY 2004 spending on international AIDS, TB and malaria initiatives. The Senate failed to vote on the bill before its winter recess; Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) scheduled a vote on the bill for Jan. 20, when the Senate reconvenes (Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, 12/10)
how about 6500 lives a day in Africa while we wait on that one. For anyone who might think I am simply attacking the U.S : for the record the G7 countries not just the States.. need to step up to the plate
Old 12-13-2003, 10:59 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Well I just thank God I can exercise my right to vote

Anyone who is angry enough about this can obviously do the same. I think GWB "misunderestimates" the importance of this issue.
LOL, exactly.

I'm more and more thrilled about the fact that I'm going to be able to vote for a president next year. And I'll be writing some more letters, it looks like.

And verte, yes, go demonstrate! Bang on those dustbins! .

Angela
Old 12-14-2003, 12:29 AM   #23
The Fly

Even Bono said that he believed George Bush REALLY DOES care about the African emergency. Please don't blame Bush, when there are tons of other factors affecting the decision for the amount of money given to this problem. The country isn't run SOLELY by the President. There are tons of other issues affecting this (truly) heart-breaking decision. I believe that George W. has done a good job, so far.

That SAID, I'd be more than happy to picket about this, if the amount is (definately) less than 3 MILL
Old 12-14-2003, 01:23 AM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by sarah_U27
Even Bono said that he believed George Bush REALLY DOES care about the African emergency. Please don't blame Bush, when there are tons of other factors affecting the decision for the amount of money given to this problem. The country isn't run SOLELY by the President. There are tons of other issues affecting this (truly) heart-breaking decision. I believe that George W. has done a good job, so far.
He either didn't try or couldn't convince not one person in his own party to vote for this. That says a lot. Bush has failed this issue.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:54 AM   #25
The Fly

You see, THIS IS PRECISELY why I stay (usually) out of POLITICS.

The obscenity and b.s. drives me http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3277

excerpt--
This is the defining moral issue of our time," Bono said in phone call from Washington. He had just returned from South Africa.

"Two and a half million Africans are going to die next year because they can't get hold of drugs we take for granted. We have these drugs that simply aren't getting to them.

"If you remember the story of the Good Samaritan, well, when it comes to Africa, we're not just crossing the road to avoid the man who needs help, we're catching a bus in the other direction."

Still, Bono, 43, is more hopeful this Christmas than last. President Bush has committed $2 billion to the cause. Congress is considering a 5-year $15 billion global AIDS initiative. The House approved the measure Monday, but the Senate delayed action until January.

"The U.S. is planning to double its aid to Africa. That's good news," he said.

"And I think the American church is finally waking up to the emergency. The sleeping giant is lumbering to its feet and realizing AIDS is a bit like leprosy in the time of Christ.

SO,

MISS

'WHOEVER STARTED THIS THREAD'
You have your numbers wrong.

Old 12-14-2003, 08:03 AM   #26
War Child

Well if my numbers are wrong then please show me and I will correct them. However that phone call from Bono was before this new news regarding the US backing away from the budget for 2005 , not the doubling in 2004 which will be sent through in January. So friend what the U.S said they were going to do in 2005 is what they are backing away from . My numbers come from credible sources .. If you want to check them out then go to the Kaiser network or to DATA site . I am happy to explain what the numbers actually mean to you. Currently the actuall amount that the U.S has contributed per GDP sits around .15 .( it will move up tp .33).Canada .29 and the Uk aroun .44. The target is .7
Old 12-14-2003, 08:06 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Well...just an observation....Bono's comments are from December 13....your thread and numbers are from December 12....LOL....But who knows...

I will now....slink out of this thread...
Old 12-14-2003, 08:10 AM   #28
War Child

Quote:
His request for the Millennium Challenge Account, a new account to support poor countries committed to fighting poverty and corruption, may rise to $2.5 billion from $1 billion this year. While this request would be significantly greater than the 2004 spending levels, it remains considerably lower than the $3.3 billion the White House had announced it would seek for 2005. In addition, $2.5 billion would not be enough to keep the program on track for $10 billion in new aid by 2006, as the President announced.
Thats from DATA , Bono being cofounder. This new information was released after that interview you posted with Bono.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:56 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

katey can ya give me a link...thanks
Old 12-14-2003, 11:31 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Stuff like this is why I demonstrate. Demonstrations are peaceful, orderly ways to say I don't agree with the government. I don't agree with the particulars of the strategy on the war against terror. I do not doubt that Bush and Co are 100% against terror. I'd just like to point out to them that the situation is Africa is very dangerous to the U.S, Canada, Europe, in general, the first world. We share the globe with the Third World. 9/11 showed us that we live right next door to these people. Africa is 40% Moslem. We can't afford *not* to help the people who are going through the worst public health crisis since the Black Death. The Black Death impacted Europe, big time, socially, economically and even religiously (so many clergy were lost that unqualified clergy became a pain in the neck to the Church). This scares the out of me.