Addenda - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2001, 07:08 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Not to nitpick or anything, but you said:
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
an addenda
Concede THIS!

Old 11-26-2001, 08:02 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 09:36 AM
80sU2isBest;

Do you really agree with the notion that Harry Potter is evil? I know that you are very religious, but, with all due respect, the view that Harry Potter is evil is really REALLY quite laughable.

I'm sorry, but the sheer arrogance of the Catholic church, or any other doctrine, that chooses to condemm literature for any reason, especially when its a literature that does particular good to society. The Catholic church condemming the Harry Potter phenomenon is just as bad as Islam condemming Salman Rushdie's 'THE SATANIC VERSES' (which, incidentally, is a bloody good read)and putting a price tag on his head.

Oh, how I would love to take you Catholics (or Christians of any school) back to the time when Christianity was considered evil, black magic, witchcraft and wizardy. Back to the time when it was considered nothing better than a destructive cult, an evil and absolutely malevolent force that threatened to destroy an entire empire (and, granted... it did).

Melon, I would LOVE to chat with your priest, he seems to be a rather amusing fellow. Not to mention deluded.

Ant.

Old 11-26-2001, 09:07 AM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:36 PM
Look at the monster of a thread you created melon; this is either talent or a curse .

Harry Potter. I don't think 80s was saying the books are evil in themselves, he was agreeing with the possible negative influence they could have. Then again, almost anything floating around in the modern world has possible negative influence. I don't think Harry Potter is evil myself; I just think the books are Boring. To melon, honestly I think it is foolish to get disillusioned with your religion, or Christianity in general, just because your priest reacted too strongly towards Harry Potter, while you yourself know inside that his reaction was wrong. In other words, you know he is not being wise about it yet you get affected by him. If you're still not happy about it, consider changing church or denomination?

Wisdom is like maturity, I think. The rule is that you're not allowed to say or even acknowledge that you're mature because once you do, it shows a lack of it. As someone great once said, "the more I know, the more I know that I do not know", or was it "the more I learn, the more there is to learn".

Quote:
Can you say "humility" and "modesty" yourself? But that's right. A true Christian shoves his/her beliefs in everyone's face. That's what the Bible commands, so it's not arrogant, yes?
You don't truly believe that of Christians, do you, melon?

The opinion that the Bible glorifies genocide is looking at it pretty narrowly. Putting it very simply, the Bible shows that God punishes nations who behave badly. Jeremiah 44, for eg. What is this big chip against Christianity or the Bible that you carry on your shoulder?

Calluna and others: I'd like to see more opinions in this forum; sometimes it gets repetitive hearing the same people say the same things, don't you agree? Perhaps the harsh arguments that go on here are a result of accumulated understanding of the different personalities here; for instance, 80s has read melon's statements on religion elsewhere hence his strong reaction to melon's statements here, maybe. I guess strong reactions against familiar people here discourage 'strangers' from posting. I think Angela Harlem made a lot of sense, too, in her reply.

me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by famous rungi (edited 11-26-2001).]
Old 11-26-2001, 09:52 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
I am smart, and I'm not going to be apologetic and/or "modest" about it, quite simply in the same way you aren't "modest" about the fact that you are "Christian" on this forum. Can you say "humility" and "modesty" yourself? But that's right. A true Christian shoves his/her beliefs in everyone's face. That's what the Bible commands, so it's not arrogant, yes?
Melon, I have NEVER boasted about my Christian faith and you know it. In fact, many times, I have stated just the opposite, that I have received grace from God and that it is in nothing I have done, but a complete gift of God. I have never said "what a great Christian I am" or anything like that. In fact, I have often admitted my own sins and have said time and time again that my sinfulness is the reason I am unable to be saved on my own and need the sacrifice of Christ. I don't go around bragging "How Christian I am am".
And as far as "shoving" my beliefs, you know that's a crock, also. One time, I posted a "Call to prayer" thread that was obviously intended for other Christians. Other than that, all the times I have shared my beliefs have been in response to the topic of the thread. Shoved? Hardly? Shared the Gospel? Yes. And that is what we are commanded to do. And I also defend my faith when it is under attack.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 11-26-2001).]
Old 11-26-2001, 10:47 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Klodomir:
Not to nitpick or anything, but addenda Then again, I have nothing against people getting a bit riled up when provoked, if they state their case in an intelligent and well thought out manner. That's why two of my favourite posters are Melon and 80sU2IsBest, as weird as that may sound.
Thanks, Klodomir, that was very nice of you! I always enjoying corresponding with you, also. Sometimes you and I agree, sometimes we don't. But that's what political forums are about, ain't it grand.

Old 11-26-2001, 10:53 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman:
You dont like sugar coating.

Good.

Your post is the most egotistical post i have ever read.

Hey, news flash this forum will survive without you as you will survive without it. Its only a forum not your purpose in life.

And when you come in here and post like this you cant be looking for anything but agrevation from the people you know hate you for the "big head" you posses.

I have left this forum because its full of alot of shit and meaningless posts, coupled with how busy i am. But to respond to this is my pleasure!

"If only the sugar were as sweet as you" -- Hans Moleman

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 11-26-2001, 11:03 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Calluna:
I am one of the people Melon was talking about. I read FYM but I don't usually post here because I consider it to be a hostile place. I don't feel comfortable sharing my views here because I feel like people would just bash me and I am not the only one who feels that way.

There was nothing wrong with what Melon posted in this thread. I think some of you just have a knee-jerk negative reaction to anything he posts and it is constantly having to defend himself against people like you that is making him hate the forum and want to leave. You are wearing him out. He has a right to his opinions even if they happen to be different from yours and he has a right to express those opinions. I'm sorry if some of the things he said came across as being "arrogant" to you but I know Melon a bit better than most of you and I know that he is not arrogant and it was not his intention to come across that way. Melon is a great asset to this forum whether you realize it or not. You all need to get off his case.
Gao
I respect you for voicing your opinion, Calluna, and you should not feel like you will get "bashed" for voicing your opinion. If I disagree with you, I will certainly debate with you, but I will not call you names, or anything like that. I have been known to use sarcasm, but that is usually when I have been pushed. And I haven't been that way near as much for the last several months, since I felt bad for a response I made to someone who is now my forum friend, bono_man. Usually, if I have misbehaved, I will apologize. In fact, for a while, I was following Melon around and every time he seemed to me to be acting arrogantly, I would make some smart aleck quip and then run. But I recently apologized for that, and now will make smart aleck quips to his face. So, if you think I have mistreated you, let me know, and if I agree that I was too sarcastic, I will apologize.
However, if you think that Melon is an innocent in all this, I'm wondering what posts you have been reading. It is not the fact that he has different opinions that get some of us going; it is the way he presents them.
One of the reasons I and several others get miffed with Melon is because of his constant boasting about his intelligence. Believe me, when you're in a debate with him, he often does indeed come off sounding arrogant and superior. So no, I will not get off his case about that.
Another thing that you may not be aware of, and of specific concern for me, is that Melon has a real anger and hatred toward fundamental Christianity. He has started thread after thread in which he has railed on and attacked fundamentalist Christianity. It is a constant for him, and sometimes it gets quite ugly. Since I consider myself a fundamentalist, it of course upsets me. Everyone knows I do not agree with Islam, Hinduism, and other religions. But everyone also knows I respect others' views enough not to start threads that lash out on the religions.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:06 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

New:

* Is it better to go out with a bang or to just fade away? Is a "bang," however, less effective because people nearly expect it nowadays? Can a slowly calculated idea somehow be more effective than throwing out all your proverbial weaponry at once?

* Is pettiness inherent within human nature or just the internet? Can people sincerely enjoy a conversation where they disagree vehemently with everything the opponent states? Can one be fervently religious while also being a pupil of science and rationalism? Or should one feel compelled to choose?

Lurkers...post here. I'm telling you right now that you are smart enough to be in "Free Your Mind," and if any asshole starts bullying you around, I will smack them up. Most assuredly.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 11-26-2001).]
Old 11-26-2001, 11:12 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

In case anyone has noticed, I'm attempting to get people to think here. Discuss. This is a thread on philosophy. But I'm verily disappointed so far.

As for the issue of "boasting" or "arrogance," it's a dead issue. Move on.

Melon

------------------
Old 11-26-2001, 11:22 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 03:36 AM
Ned Flanders: And Harry Potter, and all his friends.... went to hell for practicing witchcraft! (throws book into fire)

Todd: YAY!!!

------------------
Change is the only constant
Old 11-26-2001, 01:28 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 03:36 AM
On Harry Potter:
I've never read the books or seen the movie, but I don't feel like Christians should have a problem with them. It's fantasy, and I think that's the way kids look at it. When watching re-runs of Bewitched when I was a kid, I never once thought "Hey, maybe I can learn some spells and clean my room by wiggling my nose". The Bible does condemn sorcery, mediums, and the like, but I don't think that's what this is. I don't think the "magic" in THe Lord of the Rings or The Chronicals of Narnia is "evil" either. I just don't see Harry Potter leading kids into the practice of witchcraft. Maybe that's naive.
I don't think my pastor has any problem with Harry P. Melon, maybe you should join us conservative evangelicals

On "God Bless America":
The phrase doesn't lead me to the "holy war" connection, but it does bother me a bit. It's fine for people to ask God to bless this country, but I get the impression that some people think we are somehow "deserving" of God's blessing because a horrible act was committed against us. This is most definitely not the case.
Also, I think this phrase is usually used as a statement of love of country, when I think it really ought to be a statement of faith in God.

On Pettiness:
I say it's inherent within human nature, and if not inherent, then it's just wicked pervasive. It takes constant effort to be nice.

On People Sincerely Enjoying a Conversation Where They Disagree Vehemently with Everything the Opponent States:
I think it depends on the people. Some people just hate conflict too much to be able to enjoy a conversation like that. I think it's possible for me. I think one of the big problems of a forum like "Free Your Mind" is that people feel like a discussion isn't complete until their "opponent" concedes victory. Things get beaten to death because no one will drop it until they "win" the argument, which rarely happens. I say, state your views, read others' views, comment on others' views if you want, maybe clarify your views, but realize that in the end you will still disagree with someone in here. And that's ok.

Disclaimer:
My comments, particularly on the first two topics, are made from a Christian viewpoint.

Meaningless Statement:
Remember the Jelly Doughnut!

Name:
Spiral Staircase
Old 11-26-2001, 02:04 PM   #27
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:36 PM
melon, if this is another of your stunts to just rouse people, to simply generate discussion without claiming responsibility (you haven't replied to my post, for instance)... then I would think three times before replying to your posts, in the future. I'm a little disappointed now; it seems to me that you do agitate just for the sake of agitating or garnering responses. Is this really true? Sigh.

me.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:44 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
In case anyone has noticed, I'm attempting to get people to think here. Discuss. This is a thread on philosophy. But I'm verily disappointed so far.

As for the issue of "boasting" or "arrogance," it's a dead issue. Move on.

Melon

I did not even miss you.
Old 11-26-2001, 04:06 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Topic ? I can`t make a choice. Or are you the topic ? Anyway, just make a smart remark and we can walk on.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:38 PM   #30
Banned

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:

* I realized, one day, that I'm really tired of being smart.

Melon

I know how you feel, Melon. I'm tired of being smart, handsome, witty, and awesome in bed.

------------------
Kennedy