Addenda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I for one don't really consider Melon's comments at all that arrogant or self-praising. At the end of the day, we are all exceedingly arrogant in our little (or in my case, GRAND) ways. If he is being arrogant, which I doubt, then thats good for him; he has the guts to admit to such arrogance and promote it. Before we can be acquainted with virtue, we must be acquainted with vice... I think the Marquis de Sade said that once. Anyway, I digress.

Even if he was being arrogant, the point is, he didn't call anyone stupid, so what is the big deal? I will now concern myself with his questions, some which are rather interesting.

on HARRY POTTER;
I absolutely adore the Harry Potter books. I think they're amazing (though the film was quite disappointing) and wonderfully entertaining. Yes, more entertaining (and at times, more poignant) than the Bible. Anyone is entitled to thinking it to be Boring with a capital B, but I think the notion that its evil is ludicrous.

on GOD BLESS AMERICA;
Well, its always been something the US president said anyway, by custom, isn't it? I don't think Mr.Bush, or anyone else for that matter (except the Taliban) would like to make this war 'holy'. The fact that there are many Islamic dissidents making this war a 'jihad' or holy war, is disturbing and a way to make more muslims fight against christians. They're trying to make everything black and white, something which is quite dangerous in the world of various shades of grey. So no, I don't think anyone on THIS side of the political framework is trying to make it seem like a holy war.

on PETTINESS;
Melon, I do think everyone has pettiness. When you claim to have found pettiness in others, others will claim that they have found 'arrogance' in you. What's the point of thinking oneself different in those terms? We're all petty human beings. We're all lined up for the crack of the guillotine.

on the NATURE OF DEBATE;
I adore contradicting myself and others. I adore debating, because it should be a way of educating yourself and others. I sincerely believe that people who don't know enough about a situation shouldn't form opinions, it stands to reason. In this day and age in particular, opinions are very important things, the more educated the opinion is, the better.

on WHETHER ITS BETTER TO GO WITH A BANG OR FADE AWAY;
I would hate to fade away. If I'm going to die (something I very much dread)I would like to go with a bang (except the bang of a gun shot, I don't want to be shot to death). I want a poetic death. Dramatic and hysterical, sort of like Clare Quilty's in LOLITA, without the gun-shots.

Melon, what do you think?

Ant.

Originally posted by Trash Can:
... Not all Catholic priests are created equal!

Yes, I know. Honestly, this was more of a complaint about my specific priest than the whole of Catholicism. I just seemingly find myself surrounded by conservatives all the time.

My dear "Monsignor Gerrie" at my Catholic Church AND School allows Harry Potter books. Theres a mess of them in the library. He also has a children's Halloween Festival,...Witches, gouls, and all.

That's cool, really. I doubt any of these children will equate Harry Potter with a serious intent to convert to witchcraft. Right instruction and encouragement will always negate any evil, while suppression only stimulates curiousity.

It actually DID concern THIS psuedo-liberal Catholic, in fact.... So I asked him about it. He calmly looked at me and with a warm smile said, "If they don't want to read it, or take part in a festival... They don't have to!"

... I... didn't know what else to say... So I just shut up.

smile.gif

I really like your Monsignor. Too bad he's not in Michigan...hehe.

BTW, what's "addenda"??? Am I stupid for not knowing what that is?

ad?den?dum (-dndm)
n. pl. ad?den?da (-d)
Something added or to be added, especially a supplement to a book.

And don't feel stupid.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Yes, Melon, line 2 is sarcasm, but not in the way you might think. I have no doubt that you are intelligent. What I was talking about was this continuous drone of yours "oh woe is me...it is so difficult to be so damn smart". Melon, have you never heard of ...humility...modesty? I think those two characteristics are much more important in a person than "book smarts". Maybe you don't know it, but it gets awfully tiring hearing from your own lips how intelligent you are. And no, I don't feel bad about this bit of sarcasm, because this one was in direct response to you rather than the way I had been know to do it in the past, hit and run "behind your back".

I really should just start stalking your threads, quite honestly, making caddy remarks on little parts of your threads, while completely ignoring the point.

But just my luck, I'd get banned, so I'll just leave it at that.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i don't know if i'm smart enough to be posting in here.
hehehe
no honestly melon some interesting thoughts.
your 'world without the internet', i'm curious as to what media you are exposing yourself to? or by media do you simply mean avoiding this particular site?

You are more than smart enough to post in here, and I will more than defend your right to post here.

The internet, to me, has seemingly replaced human interaction in so many instances. We've also become maddeningly dependent on a computer network that seemingly runs at a snail's pace, feeds us a bunch of unwanted ads, and, while broadening our horizons world-wide, it can isolate you from the real world.

But, honestly, as much as I've complained about it, I could not imagine life without it. I've used it to make my life better, but I almost think I've hit a point where I think I am better off cutting myself from it. Like a fetus which requires an umbilical cord for live in-utero, that same lifeline is cut upon birth, otherwise that same newborn would die.

Plus, I cannot but lament the fact that this forum has increasingly pissed me off, not because of disagreement with what I write, but because of all the personal attacks and two-faced activities in Interference. And it's not just this post. It's been several, and I cannot help but wonder what they would do if I similarly went on a personal attack spree unprovoked in their posts. One must ask, at some point, as to whether it is all worth it?

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by rougerum:
Screenwriting.........going to conform at all to the type of scripts that get bought or keep it personal as possible?

~rougerum

I love all my scripts, honestly. They are written in my style, but in different genres. Some genres are more commercial, by nature, so they will likely be what I write mostly in the beginning, if I can break through. Then, if I am lucky enough to be successful, I would definitely be more apt to try and push the envelope, and by "push the envelope," I'm not talking gratuitiousness in sex and violence--it's already been done, and it bores me--but in genuine plots, which, historically, have been hard to come by in Hollywood. I would love to, someday, be able to try and make my mark in the world of film and television, whether it be in writing or in production.

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Mr. Melon is a glutton for punishment, methinks.

If I can successfully make people think outside of conventions, then I will have served my purpose. I don't expect people to change their beliefs, but, rather, take the time to ask "why" they believe what they do.

My style of debate and writing is, actually, heavily influenced by a high school religion teacher I had. He knew the right buttons to push to make me think, and I still don't know what ideology he prescribes to in reality.

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by melon:
I really should just start stalking your threads, quite honestly, making caddy remarks on little parts of your threads, while completely ignoring the point.
But just my luck, I'd get banned, so I'll just leave it at that.
Melon, I only make what you call "caddy" remarks when you make comments about your own intelligence. And how can you boast about your intelligence all the time and NOT expect people to make remarks? This is a discussion forum, for crying out loud. How come you can proclaim "In am smart", but then whine when someone says "Maybe so, but you're pretty darned arrogant, evidently". You can't have it both ways, melon. If you draw attention to yourself in a boastful manner like that, that leaves the door wide open for people to comment on how egotistical it is to do so.

You may be smart, so what? We know that by now - you have told us no less than 5 times. Why do you have to keep reminding us of that by proclaiming it? Shouldn't your intelligence speak for itself?

But maybe I should just let it go. I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it does. People who brag about their intellignce has always gotten under my skin. It just bugs me to no end, and that is why I feel I must say something everytime you do it. In a weird way, my strange compulsion to jump on you for that is every bit as strong as your strange compulsion to do it.

But it's not my job to change someone's personality into something that is more pleasant to me. I couldn't do it even if it were my job.

Sadly, I think I will always bug you, and you will always bug me. Ah well, such is life. Not everyone gets along swimmingly.

I am going to make every effort now to let it go.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 11-26-2001).]

Originally posted by Anthony:
Melon, I would LOVE to chat with your priest, he seems to be a rather amusing fellow. Not to mention deluded.

Well, I would just like to mention that I don't think he's really representative of Catholicism as a whole. At least in my experience, I've found it to be fairly open minded and lacking in hysterics regarding touchy subjects in art and literature.

But I cannot help still getting mad over it. An archeology art exhibit on lesbian frescoes unearthed in Italy from the Roman era was suppressed for more than half a century because the Vatican disliked it. My favorite deluded comment was, "It could make even the most chaste tempted to sin." And I could only just drop my head in disbelief. Are we so obsessed with social control and sugar-coating our past that we cannot handle the truth? Do we have so little faith in mankind that we expect people to become lesbians because of ancient frescos? Do we have so little faith in mankind that we expect people to become witches after reading Harry Potter?

And perhaps this is what puts me at odds with many of my fellow Christians. I give people credit for being able to choose what is right and wrong.

And I think it would be interesting if you ever did argue with my priest. He probably would never expect it.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by famous rungi:
Look at the monster of a thread you created melon; this is either talent or a curse
smile.gif

I "freed my mind," to say the least, and I do believe everything I wrote. I don't like to avoid controversy.

Harry Potter. I don't think 80s was saying the books are evil in themselves, he was agreeing with the possible negative influence they could have.

Well, he is free to believe that, and I'm more than free to disagree. I have no problem with that.

Then again, almost anything floating around in the modern world has possible negative influence. I don't think Harry Potter is evil myself; I just think the books are Boring.

Exactly. I think people should be free to decide for themselves. Everything can be negative if people put that label on it. Likewise, everything can be positive if people put that label on it. I think Trash Can's Monsignor is an excellent example of that; while not denying the fun and fantasy aspects of Harry Potter, he has also probably made it clear that this is fiction. In such a context, I think it is great. It really confounded me when the controversy did begin. Did anyone really think that people took Harry Potter anywhere beyond the realm of fiction?

To melon, honestly I think it is foolish to get disillusioned with your religion, or Christianity in general, just because your priest reacted too strongly towards Harry Potter, while you yourself know inside that his reaction was wrong. In other words, you know he is not being wise about it yet you get affected by him. If you're still not happy about it, consider changing church or denomination?

Well, I probably should have made this clearer. My priest has made tons of social commentary points, everything from making people feel guilty for not voting Republican to telling us that children should only read the Bible to going on emotion-filled guilt trips about any topic imaginable. Just so you know the context this comes from, the Catholic Church officially preaches neutrality on political issues--i.e., priests are not to tell you which party or candidate to vote for, but to inform you of the Church's stance on issues. Basically, rather than say, "Vote Republican," he should have stated the issues, like pro-life issues. Plus, this book banning stuff is very un-Catholic, particularly since this practice was frowned upon after Vatican II. Basically, this may be acceptable in many denominations, but I do not think this should be acceptable, even on the basis of official Catholic law. But, what kills me the most is that liberal dissidents are often silenced, while conservative dissidents are left alone.

But I have considered a new denomination, but I don't like most of them, due to doctrine issues, which I am pretty close in agreement with Catholicism. It's the social stances I end up having problems with. I would likely end up creating my own Christian denomination, but, considering I'm Catholic in upbringing, that is harder than, say, I had been brought up Protestant. Whether I'd like to admit it or not, I'm quite old-fashioned at heart, but circumstances and reality have rendered that impossible.

Wisdom is like maturity, I think. The rule is that you're not allowed to say or even acknowledge that you're mature because once you do, it shows a lack of it. As someone great once said, "the more I know, the more I know that I do not know", or was it "the more I learn, the more there is to learn".

Yes, I do like this statement. One thing I will admit is that I sound more boastful on the internet than in person. I sometimes think that if Interferencers met me in person, they would not believe that I am really "melon" and the real "melon" must be hiding behind a curtain. I think that, sometimes, the person behind "melon" is more like "Whortense" in too many respects.

You don't truly believe that of Christians, do you, melon?

I don't think this of all Christians. Certain sects exhibit this behavior, though, and I personally find it disconcerting.

The opinion that the Bible glorifies genocide is looking at it pretty narrowly. Putting it very simply, the Bible shows that God punishes nations who behave badly. Jeremiah 44, for eg. What is this big chip against Christianity or the Bible that you carry on your shoulder?
confused.gif

Well, my point with that, really, is that the Bible is a very violent book, full of every human emotion imaginable. It is said that all plots, really, were originally stated in the Bible. However, people are smart enough to know that they shouldn't emulate Joshua's use of "The Ban" in conquering Canaan, where God commanded the Israelite army to destroy all living people and all property in it's path. Likewise, I think people are smart enough not to emulate any witchcraft elements in Harry Potter.

Melon

------------------

"And I think it would be interesting if you ever did argue with my priest. He probably would never expect it. "

Hehe, I have a long history involving me irritating priests to the point where they reccomend my family to have my first holy communion somewhere else. Spending the first years of my life in a Nun's school and then a formal Catholic School didn't do wonders for my faith. Oh, I do believe in God, I just don't believe in all the paperwork surrounding him. ie - religion.

Melon, what do you believe in?

Ant.

Anthony, I have to ask, are you the Anthony I met ages ago who's doing a Master's this year? From Eastwood/Dundas? He called himself Ant too.

mr. rungi:

I am at work, so I don't have time to reply to others' posts right now. I will reply later this evening. That is why I sparsely posted earlier.

Melon

------------------

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 11-26-2001).]

Originally posted by Rono:
I did not even miss you.

...and this contributes to the topic how?

Melon

------------------

Anthony, I have to ask, are you the Anthony I met ages ago who's doing a Master's this year? From Eastwood/Dundas? He called himself Ant too.[/QUOTE]

There can only be ONE Anthony. Me ofcourse.

Well, I don't think I am the one you mean, actually. Are you the Australian lady I asked a couple of questions a few months back? I'm not from Eastwood/Dundas (is that in Australia), but from London. And I'm not doing a masters either, I'm in my first year of uni. As for the Ant thing, we Anthony's do tend to call outselves that.
smile.gif

Ant.

Originally posted by TheU2:
I know how you feel, Melon. I'm tired of being smart, handsome, witty, and awesome in bed.

I think if you flip a few eyelids in front of people, you won't have to worry about it.
icon31.gif

Krasno!

Melon

------------------

I for one don't really consider Melon's comments at all that arrogant or self-praising. At the end of the day, we are all exceedingly arrogant in our little (or in my case, GRAND) ways. If he is being arrogant, which I doubt, then thats good for him; he has the guts to admit to such arrogance and promote it. Before we can be acquainted with virtue, we must be acquainted with vice... I think the Marquis de Sade said that once. Anyway, I digress.

Excellently stated. You now join the illustrious list of melon's favorite people on the forum.
wink.gif
And you live in one of my favorite cities, London. A very fun time I had there this summer. Seeing you also like literature (as stated in your profile), have you ever heard of / read Hanif Kureishi? My favorite British author of late.

Hehe, I have a long history involving me irritating priests to the point where they reccomend my family to have my first holy communion somewhere else. Spending the first years of my life in a Nun's school and then a formal Catholic School didn't do wonders for my faith. Oh, I do believe in God, I just don't believe in all the paperwork surrounding him. ie - religion.

Hehe...I was in second grade, and I acted up to the point that the nun who taught me wanted to drug me up on Ritalin (which never happened) and recommended I not get my First Communion with my class. We later found out that she was psycho and systematically singled out the smartest student out of all of her classes. All that fasting must have withered her brain chemistry.

Late in high school, I was the argumentative one, pointing out contradictions and openly stated why I thought some traditions were stupid. Luckily, perhaps, this teacher was open-minded, and, funny enough, purposely took on more conservative standpoints just to make me more irate.
tongue.gif

The rest....well, I've stated most of my religious radicalism on this board. Overall, I am increasingly abandoning ritualism in favor of spiritualism, but in an ever evolving capacity.

Melon, what do you believe in?

Man...this is the perhaps the broadest question one can ask me. Here's a short consensus, but if you want something more specific, ask:

* Love is the only law.
* The world is not black-and-white, but full of gradients.
* The worst evil is the one disguised in righteousness.
* Everyone has a right to happiness.
* Unchallenged beliefs systems are dangerous.
* People are inherently good.
* The greater the power one has to be good, the greater the power one has to be evil. One cannot have one ability without the other; otherwise, they don't have free will.

As for your "on [topic];" statements, I really couldn't agree more. Regarding "on WHETHER ITS BETTER TO GO WITH A BANG OR FADE AWAY," I really don't know what I'd want. Sometimes I want that feeling like I've hit the Buddhist idea of nirvana; that everything I've struggled over had a purpose, that all the pieces of the puzzle that I collected in my life finally made sense. In that regard, I guess I'd love the idea of fading away, knowing, at least for myself, that I solved everything I was meant to solve.

Great posts, Ant.

Melon

------------------

never mind

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 11-27-2001).]

Melon, Hanif Kureishi is not only one of my all time favourites (ever since I saw 'My Beautiful Launderette', I've been reading everything I could get a hold of, he's pretty huge in his native Britain) but I have also met him.

Well, not actually met him, but he did a lecture at my University a long time ago, before I even considered joining. An older friend of mine (she was actually my girl-friend at the time) knew that he was going to show up, and, knowing that he was one of my favourite authours (at the time he was THE favourite)out of the blue she invited me to her University for a day. I had no interest of going, and thought there was some catch to it, so imagine the surprise I got when I saw him at her lecture (she was studying Literature and Culture at the time). This was a good two years ago, but I can still remember him (more than my actual ex-girlfriend!)

However, I am ashamed to say that I've never read his collection of short stories; 'Love in a Blue Time', despite the fact that your quote is heart-breakingly gorgeous.

Were you in London when U2 were in town? Did you go to Earl's Court?

Ant.

Melon, Hanif Kureishi is not only one of my all time favourites (ever since I saw 'My Beautiful Launderette', I've been reading everything I could get a hold of, he's pretty huge in his native Britain) but I have also met him.

Cool! I met him too actually. He was a guest speaker of our film group (about 25 of us) at the BFI. We had seen the film adaptation of "Intimacy," which I think does little justice to the novel, earlier, and, actually, we saw "My Beautiful Laundrette" as he was there. I was a bit tired that day, as I actually was like 10 minutes late, having just arrived from a weekend foray from Paris, but I made sure to bring the two books of his I owned at the time, "Intimacy," and his latest, "Gabriel's Gift," as I definitely wanted him to sign them, and I successfully got him to sign them.
smile.gif

Originally, I thought I was gonna fall asleep during the film, not because I wouldn't like it, but from exhaustion from Paris. Luckily, the plot kept me awake.
wink.gif

But I liked him a lot. Kureishi reminded me a lot of myself really with his thought processes, so it was all the more reason I liked him.

However, I am ashamed to say that I've never read his collection of short stories; 'Love in a Blue Time', despite the fact that your quote is heart-breakingly gorgeous.

I have yet to read it myself. I'm rereading "Intimacy" currently for analyzation sake, and I've got "Midnight All Day" on deck. I was looking for a Hanif Kureishi quote on the internet and found this one, which stuck to me like glue.

Were you in London when U2 were in town? Did you go to Earl's Court?

I was in Edinburgh at the time actually, for the film festival. I only wished that time would have been a bit more on my side. I left Edinburgh to arrive back to London on August 23rd, and by that time, they had left Earl's Court. I then flew back to America on August 24th, which was one day shy of Slane, so U2 was, pretty much, faraway so close.

But I definitely want to go back. I'm addicted!
wink.gif

Melon

------------------

That truly is amazing, I've never had the fortune of getting any of my novels signed by my favourite authors. Which reminds me, what other authors do you admire?

I do try to read loads, but I am only truly addicted to (as far as novelists are concerned) the works of Umberto Eco, Jostein Gaarder, Louis de Bernieres, Peter Ustinov, Salman Rushdie and Kazuo Ishiguro. What are you studying, since you mentioned that you were analysing Kureishi's work, was this in an academic capacity?

Personally, modern literature has been flooded with so much nonsense, just like cinema. These days, everyone's a writer of some sort (says the aspiring writer who is in the middle of his own manuscript!)

Ant.

That truly is amazing, I've never had the fortune of getting any of my novels signed by my favourite authors. Which reminds me, what other authors do you admire?

I really enjoy Salman Rushdie as well. I really loved "The Ground Beneath Her Feet," with all the latent pop cultural allusions all over the book, and, from what I've read in descriptions so far, I want to read, "Fury," as well. However, I find the reviews for it to be incredibly polarized, so it does make me wonder if I'll like it, but I have a feeling I will.

I also enjoyed Irvine Welsh for a while. I'm great at reading through the vernacular language now, and "Trainspotting" was a delight for me. One problem with Welsh is that he can get somewhat repetitive, but that doesn't bother me as much as his incredibly hacked endings, which almost seem slapped together for needless shock value, and, as a result, become incredibly anti-climactic. This ending problem was a huge problem for me with "Marabou Stork Nightmares," which was very interesting and well-written for the most part, but I was very disappointed with the ending.

But I don't know too many other authors, honestly, as I spent from about 12 to 19 reading mostly biographies, as I am a history geek somewhat. I read two books on Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, one on Joseph Stalin, and one on Adolf Hitler. Heh...I hope that isn't weird. I wanted to understand the minds of the most vicious dictators of the twentieth century in regards to Stalin and Hitler. Regardless of the controversial figures, they were incredibly interesting reads.

I do try to read loads, but I am only truly addicted to (as far as novelists are concerned) the works of Umberto Eco, Jostein Gaarder, Louis de Bernieres, Peter Ustinov, Salman Rushdie and Kazuo Ishiguro. What are you studying, since you mentioned that you were analysing Kureishi's work, was this in an academic capacity?

Any books you personally recommend? I'm up for more reading, and definitely more authors to my list. I tend to like more modern authors, but any suggestion is welcome.

I was studying "Intimacy" on my own, really, because I wanted to see how I would have changed the film version that I personally found a bit disappointing, because of severe emotional detachment and gratuitious nature of the film, which really was in stark contrast to the novel, which was more of an internal emotional struggle. Plus, I really just liked it, so I wanted to reread it.

Personally, modern literature has been flooded with so much nonsense, just like cinema. These days, everyone's a writer of some sort (says the aspiring writer who is in the middle of his own manuscript!)

Heh...I really would like to write myself again, but I overburdened myself with schoolwork. Personally, I like writing screenplays, and I've been told they were quite good by some people. If I could somehow get them to be produced, I would be quite happy. However, I also really want to write at least one novel before I die. I used to write prolifically before I took on my interests in video and web design in college. But time, unfortunately, seems quite limited.

Hope I'm not prodding (and forgive me if I am), but what part of London are you in? I still have the tube map somewhat memorized.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------

Not at all. I assume that you visited the West End of London, which, everyone knows is the best and most interesting part of London.
smile.gif

Well, I live about fifteen minutes away from it in the Burough of Ealing. Remember Ealing? Thats the place where all the IRA nutters attack, probably because of the BBC importance. Actually, I live (on the tube map) in EAST ACTON Station, which is on the Central line (the red one), which is practically next to NOTTING HILL station.

Most of your posts have been really interesting, so tell me when you're next visiting Sunny Blighty and we can have a mind-numbingly painful intellectual chat.

Later,
Ant.

As for recommended books...

Well, I don't know, because I don't know what taste you have acquired, though I also DO want to read Salman Rushdie's FURY, despite British Literary Insitutes attacking it constantly (personally, I think they all got fed up with praising him, the man's a genius and the nasty thing about Geniuses is that you have to keep recognising that they're geniuses, and you're not). Have you read his SATANIC VERSES? I thought it was an incredible read, as well as his MOOR'S LAST SIGH, though VERSES is better.

Kazuo Ishiguro is absolutely amazing, subtle yet profound, calm but heart-breaking. Read his REMAINS OF THE DAY if you want a parable of lost love, missed chances and lost causes concerning the pursuit of Politics. Peter Ustinov is also another well-known man for fables, read his THE OLD MAN AND MR.SMITH, a fable that deals with God and Satan coming down to Earth and analysing Modern Society, much to their comic disapproval.

Louis De Bernieres is more mainstream, what with his CAPTAIN CORELLI'S MANDOLIN, which was made into a completely embarassing film, but the book is heartbreakingly wonderful.

Of course, everyone has heard of Jostein Gaarder's SOPHIE'S WORLD? Utterly gripping.
Though, if I had to recommend a book to you, I'd recommend Vladimir Nabokov's LOLITA, an utterly shattering book, however, it is better to read the book without preconceptions. The book is brilliant as it concerns obsession, human frailty and self-destruction.

I don't know if you read Philosophical books as well, but Marcus Aurelius' Meditations is a wonderful read, and most of which I do agree with, though I'm far too angry as a person to be a STOIC. Hehe.

Do you recommend anything? I'm all ears.

ANt.

Not at all. I assume that you visited the West End of London, which, everyone knows is the best and most interesting part of London.
smile.gif

Well, I live about fifteen minutes away from it in the Burough of Ealing. Remember Ealing? Thats the place where all the IRA nutters attack, probably because of the BBC importance. Actually, I live (on the tube map) in EAST ACTON Station, which is on the Central line (the red one), which is practically next to NOTTING HILL station.

Yes...Ealing. I remember that place, mostly from the car bombing near Ealing Broadway that happened while I was there. Slightly eerie seeing the CCTV footage of it! I was/am such a news junkie that I used to watch BBC news here and there while I was over there.

I stayed right smack between Queensway and Lancaster Gate stations on the Central line in Craven Hill, adjacent to Hyde Park. BTW, funny you mention the West End being the best. Is there anything to do in the East End??
wink.gif
I was a sucker for Camden Town, Oxford Circus / Tottenham Court, and Covent Garden. I also enjoyed a relaxing time at Holland Park and, funny enough, Royal Oak. For obvious reasons, they were night-and-day.

Most of your posts have been really interesting, so tell me when you're next visiting Sunny Blighty and we can have a mind-numbingly painful intellectual chat.

Heh..."mind-numbingly painful," eh?
tongue.gif
I'll likely take you up on that, but I really don't know when I'll be able to amass the amount of cash required to make a trip out there--and London is definitely quite expensive. I remember the food, for one, was twice as expensive and half the portions compared to America. But that's right. Americans are fat and eat too much, yes?
smile.gif

Melon

------------------

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom