ACLU to Defend Two Level 3 Sex Offenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A_Wanderer said:
Why is it that civil libertarians are invariably leftists while libertarians are generally right wing?

One emphasizes social liberalism, while the other doesn't want to pay taxes.

Melon

Rehabilitation? NO!

All of the research I had done in college was that rehabilitation DOES NOT work on sex offenders!

If you are guilty of molestation or rape beyond a reasonable doubt you should be locked up for good! Repeat offenders most definitely in fact they are often creating future offenders

Abomb-baby said:

If one of these scumbags did something to your child i bet you'd feel differently. Or is it just about "rights" and nothing else to you? What about the rights of children to feel safe in their own neighborhood from sick f@#ks like this? Or should we just wait until they do it again?

Of course none of us want anything done to our children or anyone else's children. The ACLU is about rights. Once released they're presumed reformed. I think some of us in here are confusing what we want the justice system to do and what the ACLU does once they are free.

How does a 1000 feet make anyone safer? Do you know how short of a distance a 1000 feet really is? Not even a quarter of a mile. It does nothing.

Abomb-baby said:

If one of these scumbags did something to your child i bet you'd feel differently. Or is it just about "rights" and nothing else to you? What about the rights of children to feel safe in their own neighborhood from sick f@#ks like this? Or should we just wait until they do it again?As a christian, I find your comments about Jesus way off base. Sounds like you're stereotyping christians to be vigileantes. I thought liberal idealogy was AGAINST stereotyping? Oh wait, its okay to stereotype anyone who has an opposing point of view. :|

ugh. all emotion, no reason.

yes, i'm defending sex offenders! that's me! i just *love* sex offenders! i want children to be abused!

for fuck's sake.

and, please, the Jesus comment was ironic. if you're looking to be offended you've come to the wrong place.

simply representing a sex offender in a court of law has nothing to do with the rights of children to feel safe in their neighborhoods. and, as i said, it is precisely the rights of the worst among us to get legal representation that ensures that all those children will be entitled to legal representation should they one day get a speeding ticket or murder someone. civil rights don't apply when they feel good; they apply, most importantly, when it's hard, when it feels bad, when it makes us sick to our stomach.

but understanding that requires one to use his/her brain instead of that righteous, shimmering cloak of moral outrage and holier-than-thou indignation that feels oh so good.

Let's put it this way for some people:

If criminals and criminal suspects did not have adequate defense attorneys, they would all be acquitted on technicalities, due solely to the fact that they did not have adequate representation.

So, basically, if the sex offenders lose, then you will have the ACLU to thank, because then no one can claim that third-rate lawyers were bungling up their case.

Melon

Irvine511 said:

ugh. all emotion, no reason.

but understanding that requires one to use his/her brain instead of that righteous, shimmering cloak of moral outrage and holier-than-thou indignation that feels oh so good.

I was originally getting out of this thread, butI had to respond to this first. I don't want to sound like I am preaching, but this needs to be said right now.

Irvine, with all due respect to you (ie. plenty), it's more than a little harsh to assume someone is just getting kicks from acting in a 'righteous' manner.

Before you (and anyone else) decide that I'm just butting in and being hotheaded, please read this to the end.

I'd just like to say firstly, that I'm not arguing with the point you made in that post... We all know that the only real way to progress is to discuss issues sensibly, and with a certain detachment. However, some people are unable to detach as much as is necessary, for a multitude of reasons.

This sort of issue raises strong feelings in all of us. It should do, anyway, in my opinion - we're not machines, and human suffering is hard to stomach... particularly of this sort.

You have no idea why some people are responding the way they are - and obviously, nor do I. Perhaps there's a damn good reaspon behind their anger? Could that be possible, perhaps, instead of this person's anger being reduced to 'holier than thou'ness???

(I think I just invented a word there.)

I am NOT disputing the fact that we all need to be rational and sensible... I'm just saying that it's easier for some than others to do, and an ounce of tolerance would help... particularly on something as important as dealing with sex offenders. While I'm not defending the way this person came at you, I believe that it makes sense to at least try to understand their thought process... this is complicated stuff, it's not cut and dry.

I do hope that makes sense to people,. as if it doesn't, there's nothing more I can or will say. Now I really AM bowing out of this thread! :wave: :)

Last edited:
This applies to many issues. Infact, pretty much all which affect society. Wow, boggles the mind. Anyway, without making any assumptions, there are victims of many of the very topics we discuss in here and too often I can see people wanting to scream out 'this was me, once!' It's heartbreaking. We forget that statistics alone are going to mean there is at least one person in here who has had their lives ruined by abortion, rape, sexual abuse, gun crimes, domestic violence, racial hatred and so on.

Yet, clinical works so much nicer when we dont put the anchors out and slow down a little.

Carry on, folks. Ignore me.

Yep - back again.

You're right Angela.

As I said, I'm not advocating people going off on one and throwing toys out of the pram instead of being rational. (God knows I've done so myself in the past... but then so has any other long term regular here, to some extent or another, and anyone who says otherwise is a lying toad). Regardless, that's part of being human - and showing a bit of understanding in dealing with others isn't a sign of weakness, dammit. Quite the opposite. We could do with some in FYM.

Must sleep... been over 48 hrs now... see y'all back in this pit later.

sallycinnamon78 said:

I was
I am NOT disputing the fact that we all need to be rational and sensible... I'm just saying that it's easier for some than others to do, and an ounce of tolerance would help... particularly on something as important as dealing with sex offenders. While I'm not defending the way this person came at you, I believe that it makes sense to at least try to understand their thought process... this is complicated stuff, it's not cut and dry.

i take your point, but i don't feel as if that particular post was arguing as sensitively and eloquently as you were. in fact, it seemed as if it were simply trying to pick a fight with me, and hence my rather strong reaction.

to be a bit clinical about this, i think this is precisely why we don't let victims decide the punishment of the perpetrators. we can't have a legal system run on blind emotion, as difficult as that might be. if i were to have a child, and that child were murdered by someone, you can bet i'd want with all my heart to literally kill the person who did that. and this is wholly understandable, and perhaps even defensible. however, it is in society's best interest not to allow me to do so for a vareity of reasons, not least of which is the preservation of liberty for all. it's a difficult balancing act, and often our hearts and our heads are in entirely different situations. i think it's the mark of a civilized society that uses its head to implement laws and to protect the legal rights of all -- from the DUI arrest to the sex offender to Jack the Ripper.

so, that's my position. and it is a bit of a cold one, i do understand that.

Back
Top Bottom