ACLU - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

So then why does the ACLU sue the government when it tries to enforce the law of the land and protect it's citizens, such as border controll and arressting and depoting illegal immigrants?
That's not what they are suing for, they are questioning whether the procedure was legal. That's it.

No matter your stance on immigration, procedure and laws still have to followed.

And are they suing the government?

Old 09-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:38 AM
When ever the issue comes up about securing the borders The ACLU comes to the defense of the illegal immigrants. Do you believe the minute men are racist? I have never seen the ACLU defend them. There is a video on this site. SOS.org where a group of anti-illegal protestors were trying to have a decent conversation with a group of latinos only to shouted at and called white devil and they were yelling there not racist and the anti-illegal immigrants stood there and asked who is the racist. There response was fuck you you white devil bitch. The pro-illegal immigrant protestors even took down the US flag and put up the mexican flag at a US post office.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #63
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
When ever the issue comes up about securing the borders The ACLU comes to the defense of the illegal immigrants. Do you believe the minute men are racist? I have never seen the ACLU defend them.
I'm really not sure how you can say whenever the issue comes up ACLU comes to their defense?

As far as the Minute Men and the ACLU I'll ask you this; do you think the minute men are acting within the law?

The rest of your post has nothing to do with the ACLU, so I'm ignoring it.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yes the minute men are acting with in the law. They report crimes to the authority, which would be the border patrol or peace officer.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:05 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I understand that, but is it procedure to ID passengers? To me that really doesn't make sense if it is. What if they are 15 and have no ID?
In the Police Department for which I worked, it was not "procedure" to ID the passenger if it was an average-run-of-the-mill traffic stop. That didn't mean they couldn't by law, they just didn't see any need to - plus, it slowed down the traffic stop. However, if there is even a hint of suspicion about anything, yes, the passenger would generally get his ID checked along with the driver.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:46 AM   #66
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yes the minute men are acting with in the law. They report crimes to the authority, which would be the border patrol or peace officer.
You may want to look deeper in their missions statement, they are willing to use arms, does that lie within the law?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:48 AM   #67
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

In the Police Department for which I worked, it was not "procedure" to ID the passenger if it was an average-run-of-the-mill traffic stop. That didn't mean they couldn't by law, they just didn't see any need to - plus, it slowed down the traffic stop. However, if there is even a hint of suspicion about anything, yes, the passenger would generally get his ID checked along with the driver.
Ok, but what if they were a US citizen who didn't hold an ID? I know many who don't.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think the ACLU has the right to challenge whatever actions they like. That's part of what makes our country great, that we can challenge the actions of our authority figures.

That said, I think the ACLU missed the boat on this one. It seems clear to me that the officer acted within the law, and the people pulled over turned out to be indeed breaking the law. This is probably not the best case for them to make an issue of, in my opinion.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
I think the ACLU has the right to challenge whatever actions they like. That's part of what makes our country great, that we can challenge the actions of our authority figures.

That said, I think the ACLU missed the boat on this one. It seems clear to me that the officer acted within the law, and the people pulled over turned out to be indeed breaking the law. This is probably not the best case for them to make an issue of, in my opinion.
I agree - the ACLU has the "right" to challenge whatever actions they like.

In a way I am glad they exist - if only because I believe in a balance of opinions.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This is addressed to some of you who see nothing wrong with this public school Islamic studies project and you say you'd have no problems with it even if it were a Christian studies project. If your child walked into class and were told "For 3 weeks, you will be Christians; you will learn and participate in Christian traditions and you will learn the prayers and what they mean", are you really trying to tell us that you wouldn't flip your lid?
Old 09-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Ok, but what if they were a US citizen who didn't hold an ID? I know many who don't.
Then the officer would ask for their name, SSN, DOB, etc. and check it against the system.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #72
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This is addressed to some of you who see nothing wrong with this public school Islamic studies project and you say you'd have no problems with it even if it were a Christian studies project. If your child walked into class and were told "For 3 weeks, you will be Christians; you will learn and participate in Christian traditions and you will learn the prayers and what they mean", are you really trying to tell us that you wouldn't flip your lid?
Well I can't remember any history class where we spent 3 weeks on any one subject. Plus the majority of Americans have been to some type of Christian service being it a church service, wedding, funeral, etc. So there is some basic knowledge of Christianity. But no I would see no problem, I don't see as much of a need for it, but still no problem. If it's done in this historic context.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Then the officer would ask for their name, SSN, DOB, etc. and check it against the system.
Gotcha...
Old 09-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Well I can't remember any history class where we spent 3 weeks on any one subject. Plus the majority of Americans have been to some type of Christian service being it a church service, wedding, funeral, etc. So there is some basic knowledge of Christianity. But no I would see no problem, I don't see as much of a need for it, but still no problem. If it's done in this historic context.
Is participating in the traditions of the religion a "historic context"? Is learning the prayers a "historic context"? How?

When I was in public school, we never learned about other religions, including in History class.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You never did answer me BVS. Isn't it the job of the president and congress to protect the citizens of this country?