ACLU - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 02:22 PM
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003957.htm

Here is an example of the ACLU not suing the school district on seperation of church and state.
__________________

__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 09-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003957.htm

Here is an example of the ACLU not suing the school district on seperation of church and state.
When I was in high school we learned about the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim relgion never once were any of these religions endorsed.

Learning about and living are two entirely different things.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 02:22 PM
This was not History class or world religon. To have them recite prayers from the Koran. speak like muslims and use such words as "Pray's be allah"?? You don't find that a violation of Church and state?
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
This was not History class or world religon. To have them recite prayers from the Koran. speak like muslims and use such words as "Pray's be allah"?? You don't find that a violation of Church and state?
Quote:
During the history course at Excelsior School in the fall of 2001, the teacher, using an instructional guide, told the students they would adopt roles as Muslims for three weeks to help them learn what Muslims believe.
Yes, it was history class. And many history courses use role playing to teach. I see nothing wrong.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 02:22 PM
What if students object then they get a failing grade. What if it was about the jewish faith, the pagan faith, christian faith etc.. and there were muslims in the class wouldn't they object?
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 09-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #36
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Having glanced over the full curriculum (.pdf) as provided by Malkin, I don't see anything in it that constitutes an endorsement of Islam. Frankly, if my kids' school were using it, my biggest objection would be that it seems likely to leave children with the incorrect impression that Islam is all about traditional desert-dwelling tribal Arabs, as the core project involves traveling with a caravan, possibly being "attacked by a rival tribe" or "confronted by a dust storm" and wearing kaffiyeh and chadors. I would have the same reservation with a curriculum about Judaism that asked kids to dress like Hasidim and pretend to live on a kibbutz, or a curriculum concerning varieties of Christianity that asked them to imagine themselves as Huguenots or Puritans being persecuted by Catholics, etc.

I also don't see any indication from the curriculum that it in fact involved praying, as it says:
Quote:
Owing to the sensitive nature of imitating another's form of prayer, your group will not be asked to directly simulate this activity. However, you should show understanding of the meaning of several religious sayings that ilustrate Islamic beliefs. Therefore, each member should analyze at least one verse from The Qur'an and memorize five proverbs listed on the POPULAR PROVERBS handout.
The suggestion, which so far as I can tell is no more than a suggestion, that they consider incorporating common Arabic expressions like "in shah Allah" ("God willing") into their role-playing, doesn't strike me as endorsement either; Americans of all faiths casually say "Thank God!" or "God, I hope not!", etc. all the time, and I haven't heard of a school barring students from doing so. Anyhow, I can't see where they were required to say it.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
What if students object then they get a failing grade. What if it was about the jewish faith, the pagan faith, christian faith etc.. and there were muslims in the class wouldn't they object?
Why? Why would objecting someone's grade be any different than any other subject?

Like I said, I learned about all religions, my Muslim friend and his twin brother never objected, they learned right there next to me. What does this have to do with the ACLU?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Look here's the thing with the ACLU it's going to defend certain people, groups, etc that we may not like. That's just the price of freedom.
It's also the price of bureaucracy when we can't put people behind bars for entering the country illegally. There are people who spend years waiting in line to enter this country, and my wife was one of them. It took almost a decade for the rest of her siblings to come into this country. They live in a bilingual home, with an American stepfather. The rest of them communicate with each other around the house in Tagalong, which is similar to Spanish. It's no wonder that after all that time waiting in line, they struggled in school because they didn't spend any of their childhood communicating in English.

This is one classic example of how the ACLU is screwing up America, although for some reason, aiding lawbreakers is not considered an extreme example.

So if the ACLU is free to redefine our culture, by legal and illegal means, I presume that The Alliance Defense Fund - their rival in smaller numbers - has every right to tamper with every law they don't like.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
This was not History class or world religon. To have them recite prayers from the Koran. speak like muslims and use such words as "Pray's be allah"?? You don't find that a violation of Church and state?
That is a DIRECT violation. Popping out the prayer rug and turning the public schools into mosques - how does this not infringe on the rights of an atheist?

A Christian?
A Jew?
A Buddhist?
A Hindu?
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Yes, it was history class. And many history courses use role playing to teach. I see nothing wrong.
You can TEACH about the five pillars and other tenants of Islam without having students pray to a god they don't believe in, can't you?
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
It's also the price of bureaucracy when we can't put people behind bars for entering the country illegally. There are people who spend years waiting in line to enter this country, and my wife was one of them. It took almost a decade for the rest of her siblings to come into this country. They live in a bilingual home, with an American stepfather. The rest of them communicate with each other around the house in Tagalong, which is similar to Spanish. It's no wonder that after all that time waiting in line, they struggled in school because they didn't spend any of their childhood communicating in English.

This is one classic example of how the ACLU is screwing up America, although for some reason, aiding lawbreakers is not considered an extreme example.

So if the ACLU is free to redefine our culture, by legal and illegal means, I presume that The Alliance Defense Fund - their rival in smaller numbers - has every right to tamper with every law they don't like.
This issue really has very little to nothing to do with ACLU, ACLU is not the one keeping the borders open, they've just made sure they have some rights once they cross. If we locked them away, like you suggest, what's to keep them from being locked up for life?

Blame politicians in general conservative and liberal for the border problems not the ACLU.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:03 AM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
That is a DIRECT violation. Popping out the prayer rug and turning the public schools into mosques - how does this not infringe on the rights of an atheist?

A Christian?
A Jew?
A Buddhist?
A Hindu?
Does the reciting of a prayer really make it a prayer. You of all people should know it doesn't, you accuse people of not being true Christians all the time in here.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:22 PM
After reading some of your posts about Muslims, I can think of quite a few posters who could have benefitted from a high school that taught like this.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,472
Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
After reading some of your posts about Muslims, I can think of quite a few posters who could have benefitted from a high school that taught like this.


this has been one of the worst FYM weeks I can remember.

an apology to any Muslim lurkers out there: not everyone on FYM is like this.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 09-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 02:22 PM
What would happen if let's just say as an example the countries such as iran, Saudi Arabia and others started a world wide conquest to convert the masses, would you still hold the same feelings?
__________________

__________________
Justin24 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com