Acid rock, Beethoven, U2 and Condi Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002503166

'Acid' Queen? Condoleezza Rice Picks Her Ten Top Musical Favorites -- for Bono's Newspaper

NEW YORK Bono promised, and delivered, a list and description of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's ten musical favorites for the Tuesday edition of the London daily The Independent that he has guest-edited. Rice revealed herself as a huge fan of "acid rock."

A staffer interviewed her to explain her choices. A classical pianist, she picked Brahms but also Aretha, Kool and the Gang, and yes, U2 -- all of their work, no less.

Here are her picks and some of her comments.

1. Mozart
Piano Concerto in D minor

"I won my first piano competition at the age of 15, playing this work."

2. Cream
'Sunshine of Your Love'

"I love to work out to this song," says Rice. "Believe it or not, I loved acid rock in college - and I still do."

3. Aretha Franklin
'Respect'

4. Kool and the Gang
'Celebration'

"It's just such a great song."

5. Brahms
Piano Concerto No 2

6 Brahms
Piano Quintet in F minor

7. U2
Anything

Rice, a big fan, is happy to listen to any of their tunes.

8. Elton John
'Rocket Man'

"It brings back memories of college, friends, my first boyfriend."

9. Beethoven
Symphony No 7

"Quite simply the greatest symphony of all time," is how Rice describes Beethoven's Seventh.

10. Mussorgsky
Boris Godunov

I think she's such a great role modue for strong, black women in American politics. Be great if one day the US has a female/black president

Harry Reid likes Bruce

US News And World Report

"It's a rare politician who actually takes the policy medicine he prescribes, and luckily the pill that Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid pushes isn't bitter. "Simply put," he once said, "music can heal people." That was 15 years ago, and while Reid's bid to make "music therapy" services available to frail, older Americans failed, he's become an addict himself. His preferred method of delivery: the biggest Apple iPod made. "He loves music," says aide Jim Manley. "And he loves his iPod."

And just because this old-school politician is 66, don't write him off as a sock hop twister. Far from it. On Reid's playlist is an eclectic group of balladeers and blue-collar, blues, and indie bands like Wilco, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr., and the Fruit Bats. "That's nice to hear," says a Wilco publicist. "Who knew?" While many of Reid's favorite artists share his political views--Springsteen especially--music really is the therapy for Reid. The Nevadan tells us this recent story. Restless on a Reno-to-Las Vegas flight, he was told by his wife to tune out by turning on his iPod. "I got off the plane feeling rejuvenated, ready to go."

Unlike other notable iPod-ers, like President Bush, Reid has also become a master of downloading from iTunes and file sharing. And he's getting into podcasts, putting two on his re-election website. "Now," says Reid, "if I could only get my picture on the cover of Rolling Stone."

Back
Top Bottom