Academy Awards You Rock!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
and Mr. Gibson, too.

as always, the Academy stays away from contraversy/bravery.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe neither film was Oscar-worthy, but F911 was the most fun I've had at a movie in decades. I laughed. I cried. It was the feel good movie of 2004. Britney Spears stole the show.

LPU2 said:

My thoughts exactly. Maybe neither film was Oscar-worthy, but F911 was the most fun I've had at a movie in decades. I laughed. I cried. It was the feel good movie of 2004. Britney Spears stole the show.

yes, it was better than "Cats," wasn't it.

(i've also never heard more hisses than when Brit appeared on the screen ... come to think of it, even more hisses than when i saw "Cats" ...)

Speaking of Michael Moore and Mel Gibson, get a load of this:

http://www.musicforamerica.org/node/70793

Did you realize that both Mel Gibson and Michael Moore expressed admiration for each other's films? It's true. With all this "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "The Passion of the Christ" war going on, they actually admitted liking each other's films quite a bit and it logically makes sense.

Did you know that Mel Gibson's "Icon Productions" was originally going to finance "Fahrenheit 9/11"? That amuses me most of all.

Melon

verte76 said:
We're assured of another nice, boring Academy Awards show. It's usually a good night to catch up on sleep.

Well, hopefully it won't be too boring. Chris Rock is hosting. I just can't take Billy Crystal or Whoopie Goldberg anymore.

melon said:
Speaking of Michael Moore and Mel Gibson, get a load of this:

http://www.musicforamerica.org/node/70793

Did you realize that both Mel Gibson and Michael Moore expressed admiration for each other's films? It's true. With all this "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "The Passion of the Christ" war going on, they actually admitted liking each other's films quite a bit and it logically makes sense.

Did you know that Mel Gibson's "Icon Productions" was originally going to finance "Fahrenheit 9/11"? That amuses me most of all.
Wow... I would've otherwise assumed they were rivals in a way.

I'm quite certain of two things;

a) Jamie Foxx will win for Best Actor

and

b) Martin Scorsese will be passed over, yet again.

Ant.

P.S - I liked both 'The Passion' and Fahrenheit 9/11.

Last edited:
I never even realized that 911 and Passion were omitted, until now :der: I guess I was too distracted. I never saw Passion Of The Christ, I just don't think I could take it.

Jamie Foxx should win, or Don Cheadle.. I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda because it's never played near me, but he's an amazing actor

MrsSpringsteen said:
I never even realized that 911 and Passion were omitted, until now :der: I guess I was too distracted. I never saw Passion Of The Christ, I just don't think I could take it.

Jamie Foxx should win, or Don Cheadle.. I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda because it's never played near me, but he's an amazing actor

Embarassingly bad in Ocean's Eleven though.

cardosino said:

Embarassingly bad in Ocean's Eleven though.

I don't even remember him in that, but I thought Oceans Twelve was bad overall anyway

I wonder if Michael Moore posted anything on his web site, I'm going to go check..

no, nothing..damn, it would have been entertaining :D

Last edited:
Don Cheadle is remarkably overrated, simply because 'Hotel Rwanda' is a pretty good movie. Jamie Foxx was alright in Collateral, but he was fantastic in 'Ray'.

Ant.

Oh well, I don't know that much about acting. I was stunned by Jamie Foxx in Collateral, it just came out of nowhere . Did he ever do any other serious dramatic parts before that one?

Anthony said:
Don Cheadle is remarkably overrated, simply because 'Hotel Rwanda' is a pretty good movie. Jamie Foxx was alright in Collateral, but he was fantastic in 'Ray'.
I think he was great in Collateral (didn't see Ray, probably won't), from what I can remember of Booty Call, he was hilarious.

Anthony said:
I'm quite certain of two things;

a) Jamie Foxx will win for Best Actor

and

b) Martin Scorsese will be passed over, yet again.

Ant.

P.S - I liked both 'The Passion' and Fahrenheit 9/11.

Really? I think Scorsese is going to get it.

The Oscars always play "about time" card and since he didn't win for Gangs of New York, I am willing to bet money they give it to him this year. Particularly since Eastwood has already won. That's how they always do these things.

I liked both Passion and Fahrenheit too. I don't know why people had to pit them against one another, except that it made for clever headlines and cartoons.

Anthony said:
Don Cheadle is remarkably overrated, simply because 'Hotel Rwanda' is a pretty good movie.

Ant.

really? i had the opposite reaction -- i thought Cheadle was great in a very average movie.

i've thought Cheadle was great since "boogie nights," though -- one of my favorite movies ever, right up there with "goodfellas," "roger and me," and "E.T." (don't laugh at the last one ... i have deeply personal reasons for adoring that movie, and it's a perfect, perfect fairy tale for all children of suburbia like me).

E.T. is cool, and let no man argue with that.

A.I. is cooler though, especially as a modern-day fairy-tale. :wink:

I dunno; maybe I'm just stuck in the past, but I see Don Cheadle and I 'still' see Roland from that awful sit-com 'Golden Palace'. I don't like his work in comedy all that much, and I can't stand his cockney accent in the Ocean movies.

While I will agree that Hotel Rwanda was, at best, a mediocre movie, it was 'seen' as pretty good because of its subject matter -pretty much the same reason why 'The Pianist' won. A movie about the Rwandan massacre is going to raise eye-brows at least, throw in an understated performance for a charater who proves that one man can indeed make a difference, and you've got the critics orgasming all over the place.

Foxx will win, though, because (no offence to Ray Charles, the man was a God) a blind black man who overcame all obstacles is cat-nip to the voters.

Regarding Scorsese; I hope you're right. Not that he deserved it for his last effort, but he certainly deserved it for either Raging Bull or Taxi Driver.

Ant.

Where's Eternal Sunshine for Best Movie?

Lame.

I can't fuckin' stand biopics. They're usually so overblown and sterile. Gandhi. Ali. Alexander. Blah. Though i haven't seen Ray (it's at least supposed to go more into some of Charles' flaws...the drug habit, etc.).

At least Winslet gets a nod.

Last edited:
Should be good or, at least interesting. No clear cut Lord of the Rings this year.

Oh, and did anyone else see that Bush got nominated for a Razzie?

I haven't seen many of the nominated movies this year, which is odd. I am also surprised that Eternal Sunshine isn't nominated. And I kinda don't get Leo most of the time. I did see Aviator and I was bored through the first half and had difficulty seeing Leo as anything but a boy. He seemed too young for the role especially when paired with Cate Blanchett. He was great during Hughes' meltdowns, though.

Back
Top Bottom