Abortion - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #391
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Then you understand my responses more than you may want to admit. If 80s posts were about race and one race's ability, duty, and righteous need to pass laws that adversely affected another race, I think you'd find a more common ground with those of us dealing with people like that on a gender-based topic.
Seeing no possible correlation between race equality and abortion, I must assume that you must be comparing Sean's passion over race issues and your passion for abortion rights.
Are you saying that your passion for the subject gives you the right to do what you did?

I'll tell you something; I am very very passionate about abortion, also. And if what I believe is correct, that abortion is the killing of an innocent, helpless human life, then that's a lot worse than telling a woman she can't have complete control over her body for 9 months. And that's why I'm so passionate about it; it's about the saving of lives.

But does that passion make it okay for me if I were to come on to this forum and insult everybody who doesn't agree with me? Does that give me the right to say that since you support abortion, you don't give a crap about children, like you accused me of having no compassion for rape victims?

Old 02-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #392
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Oh, I agree with you there.

and i think they are wrong.

i don't think there's a woman out there who sees no difference between an abortion and a condom.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #393
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and i think they are wrong.

i don't think there's a woman out there who sees no difference between an abortion and a condom.
I don't think there is, either.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #394
Blue Crack Addict

My God, 80s, stop acting like a child already trying to get vindication over how mean people (martha) in this case have been to you. Normally I enjoy your posts, but the last couple of weeks, you've done this passive aggressive tattle-to-the-teacher thing with martha, BVS and others and maybe I'm out of line, but it's really becoming annoying.

People disagree, people can get rude on FYM, but jeez, the constant how DARE you indignation/victimization is grating on my last nerve.

And no, I'm not a mod, I just can't stand it anymore. So I'll bow out of this thread out of respect for yolland et al.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #395
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Why are you asking again? I think Yolland gave you an excellent answer. Probably a pretty universal answer as well.
I just wondered if anyone else would have any other thoughts/views to offer on seeing a baby/fetus with their own eyes vs. a medical test or black and white sonogram?
For instance would this make a 'fetus' more alive to them?
Would it bond you with your would-be offspring to be that much more connected 9 months later, at birth?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #396
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
My God, 80s, stop acting like a child already trying to get vindication over how mean people (martha) in this case have been to you. Normally I enjoy your posts, but the last couple of weeks, you've done this passive aggressive tattle-to-the-teacher thing with martha, BVS and others and maybe I'm out of line, but it's really becoming annoying.
Tattle? Who did I tell on? Her comments were here for everyone to see.

Did you not see that I had let it die until it was mentioned again?

Rather than giving me crap for the way I responded, why don't you say something to her for doing it in the first place? I didn't see you telling her to stop when she was insulting us. I didn't see you telling her she was being annoying.

Would you like it if I told you that since you support abortion rights, you don't give a crap about whether children live or die? You'd holler to high heaven, like I did. The difference is that all the other pro-choicers would put their opinion in, rightly saying that I was out of line.

Only one person told her to stop, and that was someone on my side of the issue.

Quote:
People disagree, people can get rude on FYM, but jeez, the constant how DARE you indignation/victimization is grating on my last nerve.
I really don't care what nerve I'm getting on.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #397
She's the One

Local Time: 05:51 PM
Quote:
telling a woman she can't have complete control over her body for 9 months.
I think this says it all.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #398
Acrobat

"People disagree, people can get rude on FYM, but jeez, the constant how DARE you indignation/victimization is grating on my last nerve."

Quote:

I really don't care what nerve I'm getting on.
"Nerve damage or pinched nerves are usually accompanied by pain, numbness, weakness, or paralysis. Patients may feel these symptoms in areas far from the actual site of damage,....."

Just interjecting a little humor here ......
I think we all care, I think we do.....

Source: Wikipedia: Nerve
Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #399
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BorderGirl

I just wondered if anyone else would have any other thoughts/views to offer on seeing a baby/fetus with their own eyes vs. a medical test or black and white sonogram?
For instance would this make a 'fetus' more alive to them?
Would it bond you with your would-be offspring to be that much more connected 9 months later, at birth?
I guess I can appreciate this point of view in that I finalized a personal decision never to have an abortion when I learned that many babies are developed enough to register pain when they are aborted. However, I'm not sure whether the emotional aspect really has any place in deciding whether or not abortion should be legal.

When I was a kid, my favorite museum display was the series of embryos and fetuses in jars, one jar for each week.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #400
Blue Crack Supplier

i wonder how many unborn children have been killed in Iraq.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #401
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i wonder how many unborn children have been killed in Iraq.
and left fatherless or motherless as well, here, and there.......
Old 02-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #402
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Would you like it if I told you that since you support abortion rights, you don't give a crap about whether children live or die? You'd holler to high heaven, like I did. The difference is that all the other pro-choicers would put their opinion in, rightly saying that I was out of line.

Only one person told her to stop, and that was someone on my side of the issue.
I genuinely understand your frustration, 80s, but it's not a good idea to get into the habit of making assumptions about why people choose not to publically chastise someone for remarks they may find rudely put. Judge them by how they put what they do say, not by what they don't. If you're annoyed with me specifically for not saying some particular thing that's different, but in that case the proper response is to contact me directly. As it was I made it clear, twice, that the taking out understandable frustrations on this topic aggressively ought to stop. If I'd thought martha's comments in particular were outright unacceptable (as opposed to merely rude, which unfortunately lots of FYM posts are) I would've said so, and as martha could tell you, I've called her before for that in threads where I shared her general stance on the issue, so this has nothing to do with "sides" or whatever.

At any rate, I suspect everyone's made pretty much all the arguments they wanted to make at this stage, which means things aren't likely to improve or get more constructive from here on out, so I think this is a good place to stop.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης