Abortion - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2007, 03:31 AM   #376
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

I wasn't worried about you per se. You've always managed to maintain a graceful tone
You obviously weren't here a few days ago, were you?

Old 02-16-2007, 03:34 AM   #377
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

since you're often taking stances that about drive people apopolectic )
I'm aware that most people here don't agree with hardly anything I say, but in real life, most of the people I know would agree with most of my stances. Remember, I live in the Buckle of the Bible Belt.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:34 AM   #378
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You understand the personal insults she hurled at prolifers and accusing me of having no compassion for rape victims?
No, that's not what I meant. I was appalled and a bit stymied by her verbal lashing myself. What I meant was I understand what MOTIVATED it. While I don't think insulting people is going to help further understanding or encourage someone to change their views, I do understand how frustrating it can be to listen to people being all cool and rationalistic about an issue that gets you hot under the collar.

I know it's MUCH harder to "remain calm" when the issue is racism for me. It hits too close to home, and I find a tone of sarcasm (and worse) creeping into my posts on that topic if I'm not careful.

I guess I'm saying it's important to acknowledge that it's easier for some us than for others to "keep it civil."

Which is not to excuse rude behavior, and that's not what I intended to do.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:37 AM   #379
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

You obviously weren't here a few days ago, were you?
Actually I've been around here way too much for the past few days! It's reached the point where I've gotten so busy and so stressed that I've started just blowing HOURS here when I shouldn't. And there have been a number of interesting threads.

I think I recall you getting a "little" worked up in one of these thread, but on the whole you do a good job of avoiding the personal insults and what not.

Nobody's perfect of course, but you do all right, my friend.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #380
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

No, that's not what I meant. I was appalled and a bit stymied by her verbal lashing myself.
Good, thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
[B]I do understand how frustrating it can be to listen to people being all cool and rationalistic about an issue that gets you hot under the collar.B]
Beleve me, while arguing abortion doesn't usually get me "hot undre the collar", the thought of abortion itself does.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #381
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I'm aware that most people here don't agree with hardly anything I say, but in real life, most of the people I know would agree with most of my stances. Remember, I live in the Buckle of the Bible Belt.
Its the opposite for me. Most everyone I know would disagree with me. I'm a member of one of the most conservative denominations in all of Protestantism (well except for our stance on seperation of church and state. My church is pretty liberal there. But that's because historically we've always been the "odd ones" among the other Christians because we keep Sabbath on Saturday not Sunday and the Blue Laws of the 19th century were really hard on people in our denomination).
Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 AM   #382
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I think I recall you getting a "little" worked up in one of these thread, but on the whole you do a good job of avoiding the personal insults and what not.

Nobody's perfect of course, but you do all right, my friend.
Thanks...I try not to do the "personal insults" thing, but sometimes I do let someone know how I feel in no uncertain terms.

Well, gotta get some sleep now.

Goodnight, old pal.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:54 AM   #383
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Thanks...I try not to do the "personal insults" thing, but sometimes I do let someone know how I feel in no uncertain terms.

Well, gotta get some sleep now.

Goodnight, old pal.
I'm off to Sabbath (i.e. Friday evening) vespers as well.

Best of luck with your work project. God bless and take care.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #384
She's the One

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Quote:
I know it's MUCH harder to "remain calm" when the issue is racism for me. It hits too close to home, and I find a tone of sarcasm (and worse) creeping into my posts on that topic if I'm not careful.
Then you understand my responses more than you may want to admit. If 80s posts were about race and one race's ability, duty, and righteous need to pass laws that adversely affected another race, I think you'd find a more common ground with those of us dealing with people like that on a gender-based topic.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #385
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
It was just a more general fear that SOMEONE would launch into a "what a horrible, souless woman she is" or something. It was hard enough for me to post about her and I debated doing at all, because I didn't want to disrespect her privacy. But then I figured, it's the internet, and none of us really knows any of us anyway, so I guess it would be okay. And I felt like it would contribute something to the discussion (particularly the back and forth between you and I) and that my mom would support that.
I meant to post earlier about this, but I too really appreciated your willingness to share your personal experience with this topic. I think that all too often we lose sight of the fact that each statistic has a real human story behind it. Unfortunately, we all have a tendency to overgeneralize and demonize the situations of those who are on the "other side" of whatever position we find ourselves taking (and this goes both ways, I think). I feel that your sharing your personal story was both powerful and courageous and that it contributed to this thread in a positive way. Thank you.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #386
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Irvine, you don't really believe that, do you?

There's not a person alive who thinks or syas that anyone looks forward to having an abortion and deliberately gets pregnant just to do it.

i do think there are many who think that other women think that abortion is just as legitimate a form of birth control as the pill or condoms.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #387
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i do think there are many who think that other women think that abortion is just as legitimate a form of birth control as the pill or condoms.
Oh, I agree with you there.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #388
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

If women's bodies worked that way it'd be a largely moot point I think, because then a woman would be able to see instantaneously when (or even before) an unintended conception had occurred and avail herself of emergency contraception right away--it's not like anyone looks forward to having an abortion and deliberately gets pregnant just to do it.
Thanks for your answer.
Medical lab tests are used to determine pregnancy, since it's not obvious to the naked eye early on.
This is a purely fictional question:
Babies/fetuses grow on the inside......would it make any difference in your decision to abort or not, if babies grew on the outside of the womb, visible to your own eyes?
Would this change in biology change anyone's perspective? If so how, or how not?
Anyone???
Old 02-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #389
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Why are you asking again? I think Yolland gave you an excellent answer. Probably a pretty universal answer as well.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #390
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I wasn't worried about you per se. You've always managed to maintain a graceful tone (which I know doesn't always get acknowledged since you're often taking stances that about drive people apopolectic )

It was just a more general fear that SOMEONE would launch into a "what a horrible, souless woman she is" or something. It was hard enough for me to post about her and I debated doing at all, because I didn't want to disrespect her privacy. But then I figured, it's the internet, and none of us really knows any of us anyway, so I guess it would be okay. And I felt like it would contribute something to the discussion (particularly the back and forth between you and I) and that my mom would support that.
Like everyone else, I too appreciate your sharing. FYM, although we can get into some debates, really is a community. Sure, ideas get bashed or stomped on, but I don't think I have ever seen someone say something to invalidate personal experience. Because, well, we can't. And these personal experiences humanize our ideas, and help to develop them as well. Reading about your mother really moved me. I know that while my ideas or statements in this forum may not always be supported, I know that my experiences will. And if I ever felt compelled to share something personal about my life, I am for certain it will be embraced here. Regardless of differences we have in opinions, I do feel a sort of communion with the people here.

For me, abortion is a very touchy issue. I see valid points on both sides, but I think to people on either side, my opinions on it are rather nebulous. Sometimes even I don't think my opinions make any sense. Without going through one myself, I'm really disconnected from it. However, the more I meet people who have had personal experiences with this issue, the more it brings some things into light. So thank you, for bringing some clarity for me.