Abortion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is an abortion topic would I get in trouble for linking an abortion video??

I might so I wont.

80sU2isBest said:

I do believe that life begins at conception (as do the vast majority of embryologoists), but that was not my point. My point simply was that it is a bioligical issue, no matter if you are prochoice or prolife.

Fair enough.

BUT, you keep stating that the vast majority of embryologists believe this, yet you've never been able to back it up.

Simple because it's not true, and every embryologists will tell you how many fertilized eggs don't even get planted into the wall of the uterus.

Justin24 said:
Since this is an abortion topic would I get in trouble for linking an abortion video??

I might so I wont.

What would be the point. Would you link someone getting shot point blank in your war thread? Would you link a sugery video in a plastic surgery thread? Should I link someone getting executed in one of your DP threads?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Fair enough.

BUT, you keep stating that the vast majority of embryologists believe this, yet you've never been able to back it up.

Simple because it's not true, and every embryologists will tell you how many fertilized eggs don't even get planted into the wall of the uterus.

It is true, and in one of my first "embyologists" posts, I said go to Google and type in "embryologists" and "when life begins", and you will see many many results, andyou will see that the vast majority of these conclude that life does begin at conception. In fact, I don't think I found one that said anything different.

The only reason I say this is because for some reason we care about foe and friend alike because there human beings but a video showing a babies arms and such being sucked out, is not considered human life.

80sU2isBest said:

It is true, and in one of my first "embyologists" posts, I said go to Google and type in "embryologists" and "when life begins", and you will see many many results, andyou will see that the vast majority of these conclude that life does begin at conception. In fact, I don't think I found one that said anything different.

And as I told you then, I did that and never found a reliable source.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What would be the point. (1) Would you link someone getting shot point blank in your war thread? Would you link a sugery video in a plastic surgery thread? (2) Should I link someone getting executed in one of your DP threads?

(1) and (2) are all pretty brutal videos you're describing there, BVS. Are you comparing these videos to a video of an abortion?
Hmmm...BVS comparing an abortion video to videos of human life being terminated. I wonder what the correlation is...

80sU2isBest said:

(1) and (2) are all pretty brutal videos you're describing there, BVS. Are you comparing these videos to a video of an abortion?
Hmmm...BVS comparing an abortion video to videos of human life being terminated. I wonder what the correlation is...

The point is they are all graphic. And since most of our more controversial threads are about human life in someway I made these analogies.

Buy hey, nice try.

On a side note, the video that Justin describes is a late term abortion and I'm not a big fan unless the mother's life is in danger...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And as I told you then, I did that and never found a reliable source.

How many sources, regardless of whether you deem them "reliable" or not, did you find that support the contrary idea about embryologists?

And what criteria would a source need to meet in order to be considered "reliable" by you?

I've got to side with 80's here. A fetus is a potential human life, and, under the right circumstances, it will become a human. I personally wouldn't want killing that on my conscience, but that's just me.

HOWEVER(!) a mother's life has greater weight in my eyes than a fetus's does. So, as a result, here are my opinions:

1. Using abortion as birth control is wrong. This is a horrible thing. If the mother was too irresponsible to use birth control before sex (which I know does not work 100% of the time, but still) she deserves to deal with the pain of birthing a baby.

2. If a woman is raped, the situation is split in my mind. Personally, I think she should go through with having the child and if she can't deal with it, put it up for adoption so someone else can give the child love. If she aborts, however, I understand why she would, but I would have to say she made the wrong choice.

3. If the woman's life is in danger by going through with childbirth, the baby should be aborted. It hurts me to say that, but as I said before, a mother's life has greater weight in my eyes than a fetus's does.

All my opinion, and I'm a bit split on the issue, but generally, I can't say I'm for it. :shrug:

80sU2isBest said:

How many sources, regardless of whether you deem them "reliable" or not, did you find that support the contrary idea about embryologists?

And what criteria would a source need to meet in order to be considered "reliable" by you?

Just link me one for goodness sake.

I guarantee you they will all be from pro-life sites and little to no true reference. The fact I told you before is just one reason. No scienctist in their right mind would consider conception the beginning of life.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I have seen video, I don't know if it's the same one... But the process you describe sounds like a late term abortion.

Are you an expert, how do you know it's late term? If you don't like it then why support abortion as a whole. When an animal is killed or dies, that nature taking it's course so if a baby is being born, you would think with all these advances in medicine that we can save the mother. Plus there is adoption.

My God, will people stop equating the support of the rights of a woman to choose or not choose an abortion as supporting abortions.

They are two different things. :|

Last edited:
Justin24 said:

Are you an expert, how do you know it's late term? If you don't like it then why support abortion as a whole.
If abortion was illegal you'd have to force a woman to bear child who'd been raped, you'd have to force a woman to die if her life was at risk. And where would those women go? Back alleys? Then you'd force more women to die.

I personally frown upon women who use abortion as their only means of birth control and like I said late term abortions, but like I said earlier I believe in the long run we have less death and neglected children.

As I said before (this is exactly the ignoring I'm talking about) due to the process you described.
Justin24 said:

When an animal is killed or dies, that nature taking it's course so if a baby is being born, you would think with all these advances in medicine that we can save the mother. Plus there is adoption.

I'm not sure what animals have to do with this? :huh:

Well mother's lives are still put at risk today.

And yes I'm well aware of adoption. :|

LemonMelon said:

2. If a woman is raped, the situation is split in my mind. Personally, I think she should go through with having the child and if she can't deal with it, put it up for adoption so someone else can give the child love. If she aborts, however, I understand why she would, but I would have to say she made the wrong choice.

Are you against the morning after pill?

For those who are against abortions - do you issue out exemptions for cases of rape or incest?

anitram said:
For those who are against abortions - do you issue out exemptions for cases of rape or incest?

hmmmm. Ummm Yeah. Because she was not willing to have sex.

trevster2k said:
please define life

:ohmy: Interesting question.

I would personally consider anything animated (re: growing, moving) to have life in it. :shrug: (However, I would exclude plantlife from this) A fetus is growing, changing, and has certain genetic characteristics imprinted in it from conception. That's why I consider it life.

Justin24 said:

hmmmm. Ummm Yeah. Because she was not willing to have sex.

Right.

So in this case, life has not begun?

The Miracle of life doesn't apply?

That fetus is not a child and there is some kind of embryologist out there that will support this claim?

Either it's a life and it's murder or it isn't. Why is it alright to MURDER this poor child? Is it not a child? Won't that be a sin?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Do you know how many fertilized eggs don't even make it to the first step and are flushed out with menstration? How can this be considered life?

It's cells dividing - making it life - nonliving things don't do this. I'm well aware of how many embryos never implant, but they're still dividing, living cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom