Abortion - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #271
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

I don't know. But I have a feeling that whatever he said would shake us all up--on both sides of the debate. Reading the gospels, that seems pretty typical.

I find it ironic that so many are so certain we know "what Jesus would do" when the fact is that when He was here on earth what He mostly did was confound people's expectatons.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #272
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Yes I get on his nerves because of my views, and I am sorry.
I'm taking a deep breath here...

Once again NO, it's not your views that get on my nerves(I can talk for hours about this with some people who have the same views as you and not get upset), it's your lack of listening and your approach to the discussion.

This is a perfect example right here. I've told you I don't know how many times that it's not your views. I've told you in here and I've told you in PM. Yet you still don't listen.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:

But that's just it! Most, if not all people who are pro-choice are "not intentionally killing an innocent human being." At most you could argue that they are "unintentionally" killing a human being because they don't recognize the fetus as human.

I'll grant you, that sometimes I get the sense that people don't WANT to recognize the fetus as a human--which I totally understand, because the ramifications of such a recognition are pretty serious--and I think that is unfortunate.
Sadly, I think that is more frequent than sometimes.

Quote:
I don't believe that acknowledging that a fetus is a human necessitates banning abortion. I think the pro-choice camp would actually have a much stronger argument if they acknowledged that yes, it MAY be taking a human life, and that's an awful thing to do, but sometimes it must be done.
I disagree. I think that the moment prochoice organizations collectively say that abortion is the taking of a human life, the criminalization of abortion is right around the corner, and that's why they can't do it.

Quote:
I mean sometimes I get the sense that it's a baby when we want it ("oh, look at the sonogram of my baby!" Nobody says "check out this growth in my uterus. I can't wait until it becomes human!") and a "growth" when we don't want it. Which is shaky logic.
You're right about that.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #274
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Interesting point trev, I've always wondered that myself. So if abortions are illegal, then are we going to criminalize the women? The doctors? What about the men who impregnated the women? Are they going to be punished too or do they get off scott free simply for being men?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #275
War Child

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Would there be some way that a man could prosecute a woman who had his child aborted against his will? Or would men have any rights? It's all so hypothetical.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I don't know. But I have a feeling that whatever he said would shake us all up--on both sides of the debate. Reading the gospels, that seems pretty typical.

I find it ironic that so many are so certain we know "what Jesus would do" when the fact is that when He was here on earth what He mostly did was confound people's expectatons.
I think we can pretty much know what Jesus thinks, even though he of course never mentioned the word "abortion".

He constantly speak of and exhibited his love for children.

More importantly, Christ said "I and the Father are one and the same".

Why is that important to this discussion? Because the scripture makes it very plain how God feels about life in the womb:

Jeremiah 1:5:
"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."

I think it is 100% clear how God views the baby in the womb. And in this passage, he mandates a punishment for killing a baby in the womb:

Exodus 21:22-23:
"If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman's husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Once again NO, it's not your views that get on my nerves(I can talk for hours about this with some people who have the same views as you and not get upset), it's your lack of listening and your approach to the discussion.

This is a perfect example right here. I've told you I don't know how many times that it's not your views. I've told you in here and I've told you in PM. Yet you still don't listen.
I remember a specific incident when for for at least 3 or 4 pages you consistently denied saying a certain thing even though I reposted those words for you over and over again. It was very very very frustrating, and I had to take a few deep breaths myself then.

I'm just saying we can all act the way you claim Justin is acting, and that we should keep that in mind when deciding how to respond to the person.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #278
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I think the point Sean is making is that Christ would probably deal more with the issue surrounding abortion rather than just attack abortion the way pro-lifers do. I think he'd say more about why are we having abortions. Where will these unwanted children go? Where will these scared teenagers who've been disowned by all go?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #279
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I remember a specific incident when for for at least 3 or 4 pages you consistently denied saying a certain thing even though I reposted those words for you over and over again. It was very very very frustrating, and I had to take a few deep breaths myself then.

I'm just saying we can all act the way you claim Justin is acting, and that we should keep that in mind when deciding how to respond to the person.
You remember one incident, and if I remember that incident right you were wanting to pin me in the corner about something you misunderstood me saying. Yes you quoted me but you didn't take in consider the context.

Yes there are times where communicating in here can get frustrating, I'm not denying that. We're all guilty of certain things. But when it's constant and you've addressed the subject with that person and they willfully continue it's something entirely different.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #280
War Child

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Quote:
I think the point Sean is making is that Christ would probably deal more with the issue surrounding abortion rather than just attack abortion the way pro-lifers do. I think he'd say more about why are we having abortions. Where will these unwanted children go? Where will these scared teenagers who've been disowned by all go?
From a religious point of view, do you really think that Jesus would condone someone suffering due to one sin to cover it up with yet another, even worse sin? Do you think He'd think that would make it okay?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #281
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Quote:

Well I read what you write and try to answer it in my own way, and it may seem like I don't listen but I do.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:03 AM
http://www.abortionno.org/

**** Warning****** graphic video of an abortion. Is it still a growth?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Exodus 21:22-23:
"If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman's husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Do you really think God said this??

Isn't this just some Jewish Law?

It was just written by a man.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #284
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Knoxville state Rep. Stacey Campfield, who allegedly supports less government, wants "certificates for aborted fetuses," and some records would be public.

The party is hellbent on going down in flames. Are Republicans happy that the phrase attached to the GOP, "less government," is now the political joke of the nation?

I quote from Stacey's blog: More government controll does not make for a better country less government does. I think he needs to return to that post and put a line through that sentence.

Come on, politicos. Is some consistency really too much to ask?

NASHVILLE - Tennessee would collect death certificates for aborted fetuses under a bill introduced in the General Assembly by a Knoxville Republican.

Rep. Stacey Campfield said his bill would provide a way to track how many abortions are performed in Tennessee. The measure would also likely create public records on which women are having abortions.
http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/archives/2007/02/more_gop_big_go.shtml

Im sure that if the government documents it all then the next stage is that much easier.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Do you really think God said this??

Isn't this just some Jewish Law?

It was just written by a man.
According to the Bible, yes, God did say that. When Moses was on the mountain top, God gave him the complete law, not just the 10 commandments.