ABC accused of Live 8 indecency - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 07-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #16
War Child
Local Time: 09:36 PM
Didn't Bono also say during Vertigo "Just give me what I want and no one gets f***ing hurt!"? Maybe ABC got a chance to bleep that out...

Old 07-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #17
Local Time: 04:36 PM
Originally posted by BluRmGrl

There.... isn't that better? (j/k)
Much. I wouldn't want to set a bad example for the children.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Old 07-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #19
Vocal parasite
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Why don't these people complain about the content and intent of lyrics rather than a vocal sound that is morally neutral in and of itself?

I'd much rather my hypothetical young child hear Bono say "fuck" than listen to some of the lewd and disgusting lyrics some artists sing.
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-15-2005, 01:33 PM   #20
War Child
Originally posted by Judah
Didn't Bono also say during Vertigo "Just give me what I want and no one gets f***ing hurt!"? Maybe ABC got a chance to bleep that out...
I thought I might have heard that! but I think I heard only a fraction of the syllable even on mtv coverage...could they have had special censorsensors on bono, being he's got a file with the fcc already, or did he sort of self-bleep to beat them to the punch?!

I loved hearing daltry's fuck slip thru on the abc special, loved how it showed as 'bleep' on the captioning I always have on but sounded like the 'fuck' it was.
The whole issue really is a joke to me, fetishizing words to the point where if one slips it's like a livesex act snippet appeared instead of a string of sounds used as an adverb for emphasis. It just so makes the finger-pointers look like some parody gotta pick your battles or risk seeming utterly ridiculous!

I think the madonna and other cusses were edited out on the abc program, they were more clearly separated from the flow than the whothefuckareyou mumbling...

cheers all!

edit: and I agree with axver, but it's much harder for the censorship folks to analyse for content. I would rather have my daughter listen to social protest ditties with the word 'fuck' uttered every other and more choice terms to boot than have her watch and listen to a naughty-word-free britney talk about what she's got to offer and how she'd like to be had...
maybe they're fine with anything as long as no cussing's involved, but its hard to tell when they freak out like they do over the specific words; it's got a strange witchhunt vibe to it.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
You'd think they'd complain about the Snoop Dogg or Kanye West preformances (and the blatant use of the word "nigger" repeatedly) rather than from The Who.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:29 PM   #22
The Fly
A person dying every 3 seconds due to extreme poverty and curable deseases is a much larger moral outrage then the word fuck.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #23
New Yorker
Local Time: 10:36 PM
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Yea...and considering how morally outraged this people are...they should be morally outraged about the emergency behind Live8. I'd think it'd be harder as a parent trying to explain to my kids why they are showing pictures of children their own age dying because of where they were born, than explaining how "fuck" is a word not to be used.

"This is really really fucking great" :
Quite so. Well said, stars! I wouldn't want my baby nieces to hear that sort of language... so I would have made damn sure they weren't exposed to it!
Simple as that. People need to learn responsibility for Chrissakes.

I wouldn't be stupid enough to expect every performer at Live8 to have been restrained and polite the whole time. We all knew about Bob's 'give us your fuckin' money' in 1985, so there's no point pretending that nobody would use swearwords at an event like this.
I'm not defending swearing and cussin' in front of kids, etc. It's not big or clever, anyone with half a braincell knows that.

However, it would have been blind not to expect some, er, 'colourful' chat from a band that was central throughout the mods versus rockers period. So let's all lose sight of the real issue here and bitch about swearing instead.

It reminds me of what Kyle's mom said in the South Park movie...

Sheila Broflovski: Just remember what the MPAA says: Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!
Shame that seems to be the case.

Originally posted by Halifax
A person dying every 3 seconds due to extreme poverty and curable deseases is a much larger moral outrage then the word fuck.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:46 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Put the blindfold back on bible thumpers. Last I heard fuck was part of the english language.

Its a shame what the priorities of the so called moral religious right are. People like this totally remind me of Ned Flanders off The Simpsons and I don't think that is a compliment.

Get down on your knees and prey maybe the problem of this continent and debt will go away.

But F U C K while you do it please cover your ears.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:46 AM   #25
War Child
Local Time: 04:36 PM
Once again,the powers to be doesnt see the bigger picture,and treats us like children
Old 07-18-2005, 08:06 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Big deal. The FCC needs to have a system where people can complain about what is seen on television.

Complaints come in all the time. Only a few select complaints ever make the news.

It is not because they are newsworthy.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:36 AM   #27
Originally posted by Halifax
I agree, but to a lot of today's soccer moms and office park dads, their sense of compassion rarely extends beyond their own children.