ABA to investigate Bush - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 PM
[q]Congress and Courts Push Back Against Bush

By Susan Page, USA TODAY

(June 6) - Republican and Democratic House leaders join forces to protest the FBI search of a congressman's office. The Senate Intelligence Committee demands fuller briefings from the CIA. The Supreme Court hears a landmark case challenging presidential war powers.

After five years of a concerted White House campaign, there are tentative signs that Congress and the courts are beginning to push back against what has been the greatest expansion of presidential powers in a generation or more.

Those pushing back include some congressional Republicans and conservative jurists who have been among President Bush's chief allies. The efforts surely would intensify if Democrats won control of the House or Senate in November's elections - and with it the power to convene hearings and issue subpoenas.

"You ask, 'Is the tide shifting?' and I say, 'Maybe, maybe,' " says Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who has pushed for stronger congressional oversight of intelligence operations. "If you ask me if I still feel like a lonely voice, I would say that I feel like a member of a small chorus."

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/ar...06054209990025

[/q]

activists judges, indeed.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Odd addition to this thread.

Bush joined Democrat and Republican leaders in protesting the search of a congressional office.

Should Rep. Jefferson's bribery case not be investigated?

Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Bush joined Democrat and Republican leaders in protesting the search of a congressional office.

How did Bush join in the protesting?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Re: ABA to investigate Bush

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irvine511
[B][q]Bar group will review Bush's legal challenges

The ABA has been talking about doing this study for a L-O-N-G time now!

I was frustrated to read one "scholar" say he was on this panel because it would be "interesting to see if the scope of authority" had been exceeded." Interesting-Yeah! It's too bad that the ABA will do their study, make their ad nauseum pronouncement, and that will be it. As impeachment proceedings have, incredulously, not begun, I don't think anything this president will/can or has done will move an inert body to hearings to impeach. It may be that many people are probably just watching the months roll by, counting the days to the next election. Just about 500 days or so now-give or take, for my math!

Meanwhile, there are all the little acts that aren't getting quite so much attention as the war or the earth shattering issue of who can marry whom, (guess I should reverse the order of those two things to accurately reflect his attentions this week) that will become more problematic for the citizens of this country as the next 5-10 years roll by. Like...the water, with now legally permitted greater contaminent content, and the asthma rates for the kids, as regulation of safety and emissions equipment in factories has been contorted and allows buy out options! Genetic modification of food has lessened the nutritional value of spinach by 88% from my childhood. The federal dredging of "just a little" sandbar/reef off of one of our beaches, so the sand can be sent to Miami. (See the tuna fleets clearing the seas out) Even Brother Jeb couldn't stop that one-not sure he even actually tried.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:54 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:23 AM
They should try.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:49 AM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:23 PM
my god you americans your selves up the ass by electing him- like the london newspaper said "how could 180 million people be so stupid", and the worst thing about bush is instead of his own country he has to go up other countries as well, he should leave the rest of the world the hell alone
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Odd addition to this thread.

all falls under the "expansion of executive powers."

which is why we have Roberts, his cleaning lady, and Alito as our SCOTUS nominees.

what do they all have in common?

executive power sexually arouses them.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zepher25
my god you americans your selves up the ass by electing him- like the london newspaper said "how could 180 million people be so stupid", and the worst thing about bush is instead of his own country he has to go up other countries as well, he should leave the rest of the world the hell alone
What you said is very HARSH.

Its the same as a shopkeeper who was robbed and then gets criticized for trying to protect his store from further robberies.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

How did Bush join in the protesting?
Did he not seal the evidence following the seizure, preventing the FBI from using it?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

Its the same as a shopkeeper who was robbed and then gets criticized for trying to protect his store from further robberies.
Um, no. A shopkeeper buys a security system and maybe a gun, he doesn't bomb the city block.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Um, no. A shopkeeper buys a security system and maybe a gun, he doesn't bomb the city block.
Very good point BVS.

I will chew on that and try to come up with something to counter that.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:09 AM   #27
Acrobat

well actually Iraq had NO WMD, and WAS NOT involved in 11-9-01, bush had no reason to go in and screw them up, coz hes done a great job stabilising the country