A Thread about Car Accidents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
Well i cant get around to interference much anymore and am really missing out. I am really pissed i missed the pot threads because we (rouge, 80's) all know how much i love to argue in those. I was reading through the two closed threads and was itching to open another thread but your probably sick of talking about it. I was reading some of the arguements for and againist and came across one about car accidents. I thought to myself.....Declan....where did i here about the leading causes for car accicents. I remember about 4 months ago i heard on the radio they had ppl call in and guess the #1 cause.

i really thought to myself was. My first instict was alchol. Nope. Then i thought CELL-PHONES....NOPE. WTF could it be. They went through everything. From Weed to food.(Just a side note weed didnt even register on the top ten) Finally someone got it. Can u guess??

RADIOS

I couldnt believe it. I would have thought alchol cells or drugs but nope something as simple as a radio.

Who would have thunk it.

Well i just havent posted in a long while and thought i would. And if anyone would like to debate weed and only weed start her up...

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

I thought the first cause of accidents was the teenager's sense of invincibility. Teens (or young people, in general) think they are immune to danger. For me, the danger is so real that I have to say a prayer before starting up my car. I had lost some friends to the speed daemon yeaaars ago; I'm not about to learn from my own mistakes on that one!

foray

I heard somewhere that sex behind the wheel causes more deaths than weed.

I was in a car accident a few years ago. If I knew beforehand that I was gonna have that accident, I would have had sex anyway.

But then, all I had was an sexless accident. Damn!

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
I heard somewhere that sex behind the wheel causes more deaths than weed.

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

Sorry i forgot to say these are human error accidnets. So exclude icey roads and mechanical problems.

Ya i just found out over the weekend some people that i have known my whole life smoke weed. Like people that are in there middle ages. Its very weird, here me thinking that only young people allways smoked weed and bad ppl but really its the people that hold steady jobs and are our teachers and doctors. Its very mind opening compared to the shit most adult feed young people about how only bad people do this and that.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Bonoman. I have read many of your posts about pot, and the for and against by many of the members here. My personal opinion is that it amkes no difference at all to me if folks smoke it. So I guess I dont care. I do however think it shouldnt be legalised. decriminalised is another matter. But thats not what I want to talk about.

I have read from everyone all the arguments, both opinion based, and medically or research based on the pros and cons of smoking it.

I have nothing to add however except this one real life case study of my very dear friend and her boyfriend.

*Nick (hehe, always wanted to change a name to protect the innocent) has smoked it since he was about 13. That is about 11 years. His mum, his dad, his 2 older sisters, and 2 younger brothers (the youngest is now 14) all smoke it. The parents grow it to supplement their unemployment pensions. Nick has had a semi rough life, he has seen his original father and mother divorce, countless relationships around him fall apart with violence and countless other misfortunes, and seems in some nature/nurture way of following. What keeps Nick semi sane is his girlfriend *Tina. I grew up next door to Tina since we were 4 years old and went to school with Nick. A typical teenage years fight Tina and I would have with our parents was "You arent going next door until that bedroom is clean". Nick's typical fights with his family were "I gave you a satchel yesterday, you wont get your weed til you do the washing up, if you want it grow it yourself" I am not criticising Nick and his upbringing here, I believe in different strokes for different folks. But it does show that socio-economically Nick and Tina were doomed. Yet they struggled on. He smokes regularly. She hates him smoking it. Life moves on though, and they moved in together. He continued his ways, she continually found it difficult to cope with that aspect of his lifestyle, which is made worse by the evidence of where he got it from. She knows that she cannot change what is in him.

When Nick and I were in high school, Nick was an average student. He did ok, wasn't brilliant, but certainly was stupid. Not by far. And he isn't to this day. But to compare him to how he was is to see a marked difference in personality. He is dull, not quick, either in wit or reflexes. He speaks slowly, is slow to respond to conversaion and cannot hold a conversation in anything particularly taxing. The slow and definite decline is agreed by all who know him to be a result of years of smoking it. Including himself. He has many times previously tried to stop for the sake of his relationship. but always fails. He cannot give it up. Whether that is a physical addiction I dont know, but it most certainly is a lifestlye addiction. He would have to move far away from friends and family who participate in it with him to a place where weed is not an option. Its a given that he will smoke til his last days.

One other point, Tina's car has been in a total of 5 accidents. Once she hit a Kangaroo, once she backed into a BMW (tehee), and 3 times Nick has veered off the road or simply not seen the car in front or whatever and all 3 times he had just had a toke. Coincidence perhaps. Of course anyone else would just sell the damned unlucky car. But thats another story.

Now, you may say to smoke it socially is different which of course it is. But to say it doesn't have ill effects is perhaps one eyed. Nick has never been able to hold down a job for more than about 5 months at a time, he doesn't sleep properly, and suffers terrible mood swings.

I'll leave it at that. I dont want to judge, or start a flame war on the drug, but respond if you like, its an interesting topic.

Oh, and can everyone pleeeeease not compare pot to alcohol? They are different in so many ways, it makes the comparision moot. When someone finds a way to smoke alcohol or drink marajuana, please jump in with it, but until then I dont think its relevant.

Just my 2 bobs
biggrin.gif

I first off think alchol and weed are very alike. But thats an opinion that we differ and cant change eachothers minds. I would say however that you could insert alchol into Nicks life and he would still have the exact same problems. I would say much worse. I dont think weed is safe. But now a days many things are not. Alchol is not safe, ciggarettes arnt and many foods arnt. But that is humans for you. They love things that make them acceptable and those three things are very big in a 'peer presure' type of way.

I think your friend 'Nick' would end up the way he is if alchol was the drug of choice by his parents. But i also think Nick has choices and the choices he makes to smoke pot on a frequent basis is extremely detrementale to his mind and body. As is so much in exess. He feel into the peer presure trap. I would bet you he likes to have a few beers and probably smokes and eats alot of fast foods. He is probably lazy too. Thats a type of person for you. Not all people are energetic and outgoing before they smoke pot then turn into lazy uninspired people. They usually are brought up that way and that is there lifestyle. You cant attribute him not holding a job because he smokes weed. He's plain out lazy. I could honestly give you the same story with a totally different outcome.

I do understand people who are under the influence of ANY drug, be it alchol or herion should not be driving. This thread was not started to say it has no effects on your driving ability. It has extremely harsh effects. I have never driven high and never will. I, believe it or not, took a taxi home from a club because the driver was high. I am very cautious.

I think we see very much on the same wave lenght. I could probably tell some very bad stories about people who have lost track of their lives because of drugs. But i could do the same with many things.

Weed is a petty drug. You must admit that. I dont know if you have ever smoked it. But the effects are far less intoxicating then alchol. I think in a life that usually spans about 75 years that experimenting and going to your grave not ever regreting things is very important. If not to you to me. Drugs are to be used very moderatly and safely.

I would like to say also that i'm sure many people think that i am a big pot head i am not. I havent done it in 2 months or so and do know when i will again. Its not a huge issue in my life. If tommorrow i went to a friends and he had a joint and i wasnt driving and didnt have to go to work the next day i would have some. I am not some fein who would skim the streets for drugs. Please dont mistake me for a heavy user of drugs.

Also you can drink weed. You can liqufy the thc and make tea. And you can eat it. You can also make food out of alchol. You might not be able to smoke it but you can eat both drugs.

Hehehe...

Oh ya, why when people come on here after a night at the bar and make some drunk post does no one give a speel about how harmful it is to their health and the harmful effects to society?

------------------

[This message has been edited by bonoman (edited 11-07-2001).]

Im glad you responded bonoman. I think essentially we do agree, but I dont see legitimate comaprisons between alcohol and pot. I just think that both have health consequences and both are addictive in large doses. But the effects are where they differ.

Also, I have never thought you to be a 'pothead'. More a person who believes strongly in your right to choose, your right to live within your boundaries and live as you wish where there is no harm to others. I am also glad you say you do not drive after smoking it. I read one response from someone here a long time ago who said its foolish to think you cant drive after smoking it. It was perhaps the stupidest comment I have ever read re: pot.

The whole point I wanted to make with Nick's story is that it does have a massive impact on excessive smokers. Of course Nick drinks as well. Perhaps too much of it too. And yes, he is definately lazy. Extremely so, its mainly his nature, but also his lifestyle habit. He has slowly eased himself into a virtually unbreakable mold. All this aside, he is an extreme case. My opinions on social smoking are not very rigid because like you, I see it for what it is, a recreation or substance that is just as bad as fast food, alcohol, tobacco, reckless driving or 30 day water and grapefruit juice diets. Anything is bad in excess.

And yes to answer your question, I have smoked it. A few times. Most people do. And I tried it various ways. But as was the way with my friends and I we got bored with that and moved on to some other useless past time like stealing peoples 'For Sale' signs and putting them in their neighbours yards, or local schools. All of which kinda leads me to my next point. As I sorta never grew out of my deliquint ways, I sit on the train in the morning looking at fellow business commuters and think, you wouldnt know what folks are like in real life. Who could you guess smokes pot? If its done in such a discrete and non socially destructive way, its no worse than drinks with friends is it. I drink, and because of that believe it would be hypocritical to see a wrong with pot but not alcohol.

Thge only time I think I got pissed at the pot debate was when my government was contempating decriminalisig marajuana and simultaneously working on banning cigarette smoking in pubs. I really though that ludicrous. Yes, decriminalise a drug, and make taboo a habit that has been out in the open and accepted by most for the last thousand or more years. Great thinking 99. And before anyone starts on that comment, I know pot has been smoked prolly since Eve got Adam kicked out, but it hasnt always been socially acceepted. Society is not completely ready to see it in everyday life.

But Im over that. I have a government that is lead by a mule.

smile.gif

*Has had 3 car accidents
a) Pulled out of my high school car park after an exam my whole year was at, in front of my whole year, and apparently right in front of another car. Messy, but no-one hurt
b) On an expressway in slow traffic. Kind friend points out attractive blonde in car to the side. I make sure, for his sake, that she is attractive. Car in front stops. I don't. Attractive girl see's all. Laughs. Woman in car in front is friend of my fathers.
c) DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE. Drives car through end of garage into dining room. Takes out front of car, wall, cupboard and part of dining room table. Lossa $$$$. Very funny for all the friends inside the house. Bastards.

See these issues we talk about Angela, to me at least, should be very obviuos to many others. Some people think if anything is a drug it is bad for you. Many people who lived a sheltered childhood grow-up to hate pot and sometimes alchol. I dont think they understand what it means to change with the times. It sounds old fashoined but true. I think drugs like herion cocaine and crack drugs that are truelly addictive and extrememly harmful should be our gov'ts main foccus. Pot is a extremely harmless drug compared to these other ones.

I love to see we can see eye to eye. And i really apriciate you seeing beyond our differences and seeing that some people have convictions. Thank you.

I would love to debate anything with you. You are very respectable and open minded.

So anything else you have...

------------------

Hey thanks bonoman, really it was fun discussing such things in such a controlled and mature way. And with someone who actually reads responses.
So unlike this forum
biggrin.gif
(I kid!)

Oh and anytime you want to debate...Im all out of ideas right now, except the thought that Dr T should get a pushbike instead of a car. hehehe.

Back
Top Bottom