"A symbol of our freedom and independence"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
2006_04_27t032729_343x450_us_property_worldtradecenter.jpg

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Trucks rolled onto the World Trade Center site Thursday morning as workers gathered to start long-delayed construction at 9/11's Ground Zero.

The intention is to build the tallest building in North America to fill the hole in the New York skyline left by the 2001 terrorist attacks.

"It is going to be a symbol of our freedom and independence," Gov. George Pataki said at a news conference on the ramp into the site, according to The Associated Press.

The move follows an agreement on Wednesday between the owner of the 16-acre site and the real estate developer who leased it six weeks before the towers were destroyed.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the transportation agency that built the 110-story twin towers in the early 1970s and ran them until July 2001, approved the deal with developer Larry Silverstein in a board meeting Wednesday afternoon.

The deal settles financing for the "Freedom Tower," the planned 1,776-foot building to be erected on the northern end of the site.

"We agreed to all of the port's economic terms in its proposal to restructure our 99-year lease," Silverstein said. "This is a fair deal."

Silverstein will cede control of the Freedom Tower to the Port Authority. He will collect a 1 percent developer's fee on the estimated $2 billion project, but the Port Authority will manage the building when it is completed. It is slated to be ready for occupancy in 2010.

Freedom Tower construction will move forward with installment of foundation footings. The building is to rise 1,360 feet, the height of the original twin towers. A spire will raise it to the height symbolic for the year of the American Revolution.

A memorial to the 2,973 September 11 victims and six people killed in a 1993 truck bombing will be located on the southern half of the site. It is expected to be completed in 2009, financed through private donations.

Pataki addressed concerns about the tower becoming a terrorist target while at the site with New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Silverstein, the AP reported. "We are not going to just build low in the face of a war against terror," Pataki said.

Never stopped paying rent
Wednesday's deal marks the third time since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks destroyed 12 million square feet of office space that Silverstein's firm has amended his $120 million-per-year lease. He has never stopped paying rent, though he has collected no revenue on the site since the attacks.

Silverstein will retain control of three buildings planned along the site's eastern edge, Church Street, which will house much of the planned complex's street-level retail space. He will receive a 2 percent developer's fee for those buildings, due to be completed in 2012. One is a 950-foot tower to be designed by renowned British architect Norman Foster.

Silverstein will also cede control to the Port Authority of a plot of land across the street from the site's southern end, where a fifth building would go, according to the plan.

The damaged Deutsche Bank building that currently stands there is being dismantled, possibly to be replaced by a residential tower.

Overall, the five planned buildings would create 10 million square feet -- approximately 6.2 million square feet for the three Church Street buildings, 2.6 million square feet in the Freedom Tower and as much as 1.2 million square feet in the fifth building.

'Finger-pointing must stop'
The Port Authority will significantly reduce Silverstein's rent, though by how much was not disclosed.

Silverstein will allocate to the Port Authority 38 percent of the $3.34 billion in tax-exempt Liberty Bonds he is due to receive from the state and the city and a portion of approximately $3 billion in insurance proceeds he is due to collect.

"We have made real concessions," Silverstein said. "This is about moving the rebuilding forward as quickly as possible. All the finger-pointing must stop, and we must all work together to achieve our vital mission -- to fully revitalize and renew New York's historic downtown region."

Silverstein, who lost four employees in the September 11 attacks, said rebuilding is "an intensely personal endeavor for me."

He has already built, a block north of the site, an office tower that replaced World Trade Center 7, which he developed in the 1980s before taking over the whole site. A quarter of the building, 10 of the 42 habitable floors, are now leased. Next month, Silverstein Properties will be the first tenant to move in.

In recent weeks government officials had questioned whether Silverstein's financial position was strong enough to continue as the site developer, leading to the protracted negotiations.

Gov. George Pataki predicted that the rebuilt trade center will "anchor the financial capital of the world and make our nation proud."

If built as planned, Freedom Tower will be taller than the Sears Tower in Chicago, which stands 1,450 feet.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

U2democrat said:
It's better than a gaping hole, IMO :up:

I was actually there this afternoon on my lunch break, and, looking at it, I realized that maybe a huge hole is best idea. I thought about how they are going to build this huge "penis" like structure on a grave site, how kind of cruel that is.

I'm all for moving on (and it's about time they did something other than squabble about it) but why not build this penis thing somewhere else in lower manhattan? Why not just leave the site a hole, and turn it into a HUGE grassy tree lined park with memorials all throughout? It just seems more modest and peaceful to me.

To all those who think this will show the terrorists that "they have won" if we don't build something taller on the same site - I urge you to think about it...Wouldn't we be sending a much more modest, confident attitude by saying "Hey we actually care about those people - we can rebuild somewhere else, anywhere else, but we care about those people." Just a thought...

Numb1075 said:
Tackleberry - where would you erect a building in lower manhattan? There's no room for anything else.

Farther east, or maybe even closer to Battery Park - or even any one of the sections where there are five or six commercial space areas in a row for sale.

"It is going to be a symbol of our freedom and independence," Gov. George Pataki said at a news conference on the ramp into the site, according to The Associated Press.

I think it is a good building.

The stake-holders have a right to rebuilt.

I imagine there is a need for the lost office space, so rebuild.

However, "a symbol of freedom and independence" ???

that is just a load of crap by one more politician exploiting 911 for personal gain

I wonder what the occupancy rate will be. I think I read somewhere they had trouble getting a lot of tenants.

ETA: only 25% leased - it will be intersting to see how high that goes.

Its nice.. but I think something much more modest should have been placed there.

IMO...9/11 was a serving of humble pie. It made the US realise that they are in fact vulnerable. A notion that was considered ludicrous before.

Something like a small commemorative park or something ...so that 100 years from now a 12 year old will ask his father "why is there an empty spot in the middle of manhattan?" Not be like "whoa nice building!

The park doesnt have to be overly simplistic, but it should still figuratively represent the grief of the families who lost loved one.

This new tower seems a bit of a touristy exploit with lots of business dollars pulling the strings.

deep said:
However, "a symbol of freedom and independence" ???

that is just a load of crap by one more politician exploiting 911 for personal gain

Do the words "freedom" and "independence" have any meaning anymore, or are they just red flags for political exploitation?

How is this building symbolic of our freedom and independence?

"our freedom and independence"

I think of the 4 of July.

Sacrifices made by our military, esp. WW!! vets.

The monuments in our Nation's capital.

The World Trade Center?

A symbol of International Business, not exactly a symbol of Independence.

I also remember when it was under construction,
the first time.

It was being billed as the tallest buildings, rising into the heavens.

A World Trade Center to unite nations in the common language of commerce.

djfeelgood said:
Its nice.. but I think something much more modest should have been placed there.

IMO...9/11 was a serving of humble pie. It made the US realise that they are in fact vulnerable. A notion that was considered ludicrous before.

Something like a small commemorative park or something ...so that 100 years from now a 12 year old will ask his father "why is there an empty spot in the middle of manhattan?" Not be like "whoa nice building!

The park doesnt have to be overly simplistic, but it should still figuratively represent the grief of the families who lost loved one.

This new tower seems a bit of a touristy exploit with lots of business dollars pulling the strings.

:applaud:

nbcrusader said:

Do the words "freedom" and "independence" have any meaning anymore, or are they just red flags for political exploitation?

for me, they've been weilded by politicians to such an extent over the past 5 years that, to me, they are completely devoid of meaning within such a context. terrorists hate our freedom. wtf does that mean anymore, if it ever meant anything at all?

:sigh:

it's all very sad, imho. the building is nice, i suppose, but a whole lot more has been knocked down since 9-11 than just those two towers.

i think i'll go have some freedom fries ...

deep said:
I also remember when it was under construction,
the first time.

It was being billed as the tallest buildings, rising into the heavens.

A World Trade Center to unite nations in the common language of commerce.

figure01.jpg

Irvine511 said:
for me, they've been weilded by politicians to such an extent over the past 5 years that, to me, they are completely devoid of meaning within such a context. terrorists hate our freedom. wtf does that mean anymore, if it ever meant anything at all?

Terrorists hate our freedom. Perhaps this is the context in which the phrase was properly used. I recall a political cartoon from the days following 9/11 that showed the rebuilt tower as a middle finger to those who attacked the US.

We may not like a good deal of the politics that go along with such sentiments, but there is a valid statement in standing for freedom and independence from the threats represented by terrorism.

nbcrusader said:
We may not like a good deal of the politics that go along with such sentiments, but there is a valid statement in standing for freedom and independence from the threats represented by terrorism.

but i don't think they hate our freedom. they might resent that freedom (and what kind of freedom are we talking about?), but i don't think they *hate* that freedom -- i think they hate much of our foreign policy, mostly because it provides a very convenient way to explain the failure of many of the societies from which they come, and we're not totally faultless in that rubric, either.

Irvine511 said:
but i don't think they hate our freedom. they might resent that freedom (and what kind of freedom are we talking about?), but i don't think they *hate* that freedom -- i think they hate much of our foreign policy, mostly because it provides a very convenient way to explain the failure of many of the societies from which they come, and we're not totally faultless in that rubric, either.

No. It is not a simple matter of foreign policy - in fact, I really don't think it comes into play at the grass roots level. Western values have been suspect for decades in the Middle East. It has been a consistent message from the Imans. My wife's family lived it for over 7 years in Saudi.

nbcrusader said:

No. It is not a simple matter of foreign policy - in fact, I really don't think it comes into play at the grass roots level. Western values have been suspect for decades in the Middle East. It has been a consistent message from the Imans. My wife's family lived it for over 7 years in Saudi.

i agree that it's not as simple as foreign policy, but the conflation with the values you mention as well as foreign policy, and the fact that many Islamic nations are in really tough shape economically (and they were once great nations with proud, powerful histories). the US becomes a very easy target upon which to pin blame, and we are not entirely blameless.

so i don't think it's freedom that makes one fly an airplane into a tower.

Irvine511 said:
Freedorm, read individual liberty: the placing of the individual above all else. A concept completely irreconcilable with universal submission to one God.

Strange.....but my posting above edited at approximately 9:11 EST.

It often intrigues me how my postings date into the future {time differential}.

:|

Irvine511 said:
i agree that it's not as simple as foreign policy, but the conflation with the values you mention as well as foreign policy, and the fact that many Islamic nations are in really tough shape economically (and they were once great nations with proud, powerful histories). the US becomes a very easy target upon which to pin blame, and we are not entirely blameless.

I understand what you are saying, but it sounds as if it is the mindset as seen through the modern Western perspective.

Back
Top Bottom