A Sorry State Of Affairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Of course not every police officer behaves in such an inhumane and revolting manner, but how completely depressing and sickening. The personal accounts are chilling and heartbreaking

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR511502005

(New York) – In the most comprehensive report of its kind to date, Amnesty International (AI) reveals that police mistreatment and abuse of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people are widespread nationwide and go largely unchecked due to underreporting and unclear, under-enforced or non-existent policies and procedures.

“Across the country, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people endure the injustices of discrimination, entrapment and verbal abuse as well as brutal beatings and sexual assault at the hands of those responsible for protecting them – the police,” said Dr. William F. Schulz, Executive Director of Amnesty International USA (AIUSA). “Some, including transgender individuals, people of color and the young suffer disproportionately, especially when poverty leaves them vulnerable to homelessness and exploitation and less likely to draw public outcry or official scrutiny. It is a sorry state of affairs when the police misuse their power to inflict suffering rather than prevent it.”

“Police officers are hired to protect and serve all of their communities, not only the ones they deem worthy" yes indeed, if you don't believe this w/ every ounce of your being why would you go into that line of work?

I've watched policemen do great acts and I've seen horrendous ones. I've known considerate policemen and ones who throw their weight around. Honest ones, dishonest ones, ones who protect, others who damage. I have the utmost respect for the ones who do their jobs properly. But when you are given a weapon and authority over people, we need to be able to trust you. And if you cannot be trusted, you need to be removed.

^ I agree

I always thought it was very disturbing when those who are supposed to promote peace and protect create violence and violate. Like, so to say, a fallen angel.

...disgust...

Back
Top Bottom