A REVOLUTION I think we can ALL get behind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Macfistowannabe said:

well, earlier you wrote: "Actually, I was argued that I was conditioned to find them sexual. It's like trying to lose your accent, I don't think I could be as faithful as I desire to be to the woman I love if this became acceptable."

it's a very boys-will-be-boys argument. that women need to be covered up so they will retain their mystery and allure for the menfolk, as if the reason for feminine modesty is not to drive the men crazy with lust and desire -- basically implying that it is up to women and society to regulate and control the female figure because men are deep down lustful creatures and can't control themselves. sort of a "women, watch your men!" argument.

Thanks for clarifying.

I would admit that your explanation is pretty accurate for the most part, and you don't have to buy into the argument if you choose not to. Although it wouldn't exactly be a VIOLENT crime decriminalized, it would still be a crime of indecency in my eyes. If you look at the divorce rates, they're pretty extreme. Why feed more lust in our society than the lust that already exists? Deep down, I try hard not to be a lustful creature, yet I wonder if I'm the only one after seeing so few opposing responses on this thread. :shrug:

i don't view lust as a bad thing. i enjoy lust, and think it's a natural part of being human.

sometimes i ignore it, sometimes i take care of it myself, sometimes i find a partner. it exists, and that's fine -- but i remain in control of my lust and i don't need society to regulate it for me, i'm entirely capable of doing that myself. just because i'm a man doesn't mean that my sex drive is any more or less powerful than a woman, nor does it mean that woman should be any more or less regulated than i am. we are adults, we take responsibility for our actions.

i hope i'm still as lustful at 57 as i am at 27.

Irvine511 said:

let's hope you are not.

i am getting close to the 5 0
and things have moderated just a bit

i rarely embarrass myself, anymore

Irvine511 said:
i don't view lust as a bad thing. i enjoy lust, and think it's a natural part of being human.
I find that interesting. I don't know how else to say it.

Irvine511 said:
Perhaps this is where we differ the most. :wink:

the religions view lust as a sin... what can i say. its a lie made up by rabbis/imams/priests so that some other guys wont bang their wives. :wink:

edit: lets say catholic priests are concerned about other people banging other people's wives

that women need to be covered up so they will retain their mystery and allure for the menfolk, as if the reason for feminine modesty is not to drive the men crazy with lust and desire -- basically implying that it is up to women and society to regulate and control the female figure because men are deep down lustful creatures and can't control themselves. sort of a "women, watch your men!" argument.

And you agree to this?

Macfistowannabe said:

I would admit that your explanation is pretty accurate for the most part, and you don't have to buy into the argument if you choose not to. Although it wouldn't exactly be a VIOLENT crime decriminalized, it would still be a crime of indecency in my eyes.

I think you may be insane.

Macfistowannabe said:
The feeling is mutual.

Because I believe in equal rights and believe that the responsibility should lie in the hands of the perpetrator?

You just got finished saying you agreed with the notion that society and women bear the burden of keeping the lustful actions of men in control and not the men.

That's insane. It's that caveman mentality that allows sexual perpetrators to walk away without responsibility, by blaming the women for stimulating men's lustful actions too much.

Show me where my actions are insane.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Both sexes have nipples. Both sexes have chests. The only difference lies in how they're formed, which isn't either sex's fault, that's just how the body came to be.

Sure, anatomical difference may not be significant, but would you say that people respond exactly the same way to the exposed male and female chests? One could wish that conditioning like this didn't exist, but it clearly does and exhibits itself in a great many ways too. In fact, precisely because of sexualisation and the fact that the breasts are considered to be a sexual asset to a woman, women in certain circumstances are allowed to expose a whole lot more of chest area than men are. A woman can show up at the restaurant/social function/premiere wearing a low-cut dress or see-through top that leaves nothing to imagination, but a man who's not wearing a proper shirt or top would cause comment or be thrown out. Same goes of the many fashions of the previous centuries, as well: men are buttoned up to their chins, but with women, heck, it's cleavage galore!

How the heck have so many other cultures survived without covering up the women?

Just curious!

Saracene said:
Sure, anatomical difference may not be significant, but would you say that people respond exactly the same way to the exposed male and female chests? One could wish that conditioning like this didn't exist, but it clearly does and exhibits itself in a great many ways too.

Yes, but it's still up to each person to decide how they want to handle it. Other people shouldn't have to cover themselves so much if they don't want to simply because some people will react a certain way to how they look. For all those who react lustfully to a girl's breasts, there'll be others who won't-I even remember a guy saying one time that he didn't understand the big craze over breasts...he didn't understand why people made such a big deal out of them, 'cause that wasn't the feature he found the most attractive on a girl. And then there's girls that would be the same way-some will go gaga over a six-pack, while to others, it won't mean squat. Everyone's different, we can't all conform to look a certain way on the off chance that somebody out there may react in some fashion to how we look.

Originally posted by Saracene
In fact, precisely because of sexualisation and the fact that the breasts are considered to be a sexual asset to a woman, women in certain circumstances are allowed to expose a whole lot more of chest area than men are. A woman can show up at the restaurant/social function/premiere wearing a low-cut dress or see-through top that leaves nothing to imagination, but a man who's not wearing a proper shirt or top would cause comment or be thrown out. Same goes of the many fashions of the previous centuries, as well: men are buttoned up to their chins, but with women, heck, it's cleavage galore!

And I think that's dumb. I don't think anyone should be punished for how they choose to look, I think everybody should dress however they want to-if they want to be covered up from head to toe, fine, if they want to walk around with next to no clothing, fine-the bottom line is, it's their body, they should have the right to decide how much of it they want to be seen, not society. Anyone who's bothered by how someone dresses simply doesn't have to look (and it really is not that hard to do so, either-unless they're right up in someone's face, they'll be able to get them out of their vision if they're really bothered by it). And they don't have to like how the person looks, either-they can say all they want that they don't like the outfit, it's not flattering, all that stuff. But to tell others what they can and can't put on their own bodies just seems very odd to me.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with Irvine (you're a guy? Heh, I thought you were a girl for the longest time :reject:...) in regards to the lust post. Why exactly is lust such a bad thing, anyway?

Angela

As for the thing about men and their lust... I agree that it is disgusting when sexual perpetrators are afforded excuses. I also think that women themselves often like to repeat things like "men can't help themselves" or "men can only think with their crotches". I've heard many of my female friends and acquaintances say things like that, and I get the feeling that it's as if they like to think of men that way because then they can feel superior.

Moonlit_Angel said:
And I think that's dumb. I don't think anyone should be punished for how they choose to look, I think everybody should dress however they want to-if they want to be covered up from head to toe, fine, if they want to walk around with next to no clothing, fine-the bottom line is, it's their body, they should have the right to decide how much of it they want to be seen, not society.

Like it or not, clothes aren't just about covering yourself up; it's also a form of language we use to communicate. And there are conventions in clothes just like there are conventions in the language. If a lawyer showed up at the court wearing nothing but hotpants and tanktop, it'd be about just as acceptable as her addressing the judge with, "yo dude how is it hanging?" Different societies may have differing conventions, and conventions may evolve over the time, but no society can operate without them.

Saracene said:

Like it or not, clothes aren't just about covering yourself up; it's also a form of language we use to communicate. And there are conventions in clothes just like there are conventions in the language. If a lawyer showed up at the court wearing nothing but hotpants and tanktop, it'd be about just as acceptable as her addressing the judge with, "yo dude how is it hanging?" Different societies may have differing conventions, and conventions may evolve over the time, but no society can operate without them.

But it's not law. We're not talking about what is appropriate, we're talking about law.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Because I believe in equal rights and believe that the responsibility should lie in the hands of the perpetrator?

You just got finished saying you agreed with the notion that society and women bear the burden of keeping the lustful actions of men in control and not the men.
Both are morally responsible for their actions. Is that principle insane? I think not. I never said men are not responsible for their actions as well. Care to share which post of mine suggested that?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
That's insane. It's that caveman mentality that allows sexual perpetrators to walk away without responsibility, by blaming the women for stimulating men's lustful actions too much.
Caveman mentality LOL... I'm not blaming women in general, I'm upholding the law. If you don't like the law, good for you. Perhaps it serves as a purpose. There's a difference between private life and public life. This "revolution" would never happen anytime soon, sorry to let you down. If it were up to people like you, anything would be legal. After all, your take is that morality is none of the government's business.

I'm not going to even bother to read the 10 pages that preceeded this. :huh: But I just wanted to make one comment. Both in the small mountain village where I was raised in Indonesia as well as generally here in Malian society where I am now living, bare breasts are a total non-starter. Women feed their children, go about their work (which, it should be mentioned is HARD physical labor) in the hot sun totally without shirts and no one blinks an eye, stares or commits rape on the spot. Breasts in America are far too sexualized. I personally don't see what the big deal is.

Moonlit_Angel said:

And I think that's dumb. I don't think anyone should be punished for how they choose to look, I think everybody should dress however they want to-if they want to be covered up from head to toe, fine, if they want to walk around with next to no clothing, fine-the bottom line is, it's their body, they should have the right to decide how much of it they want to be seen, not society.

You've made some interesting points, but this is one in particular. Re: not society deciding, but the individual. I dont totally agree with what you said about reactions and someone being opposed to simply look away, as I dont believe it is entirely that easy. Society as a whole is not familiar with nudity being common place so we do tend to notice anyone who stands out, and we could and are physically able to look away if uncomfortable with seeing a bare breast, but it will sure as buggery stand out. As a society we conform an awfully large amount and most people dress alike, not only to the extent of being 'generally' covered up, but even further to the point where on weekends you see most kicking around in jeans and 9-5 on weekdays attire is also uniformal in it's own way. This might be a bit of a chicken or the egg argument as what society is used to is not really what this is about - but did this become law because we don't have familiarity and comfort with exposed boobs (in day-to-day), or did we lose familiarity because it was decided too much exposure is not good? Either way, society now shies away from totally free expression and nudity/over exposure. What we have is a society filled with (for the most part) women who choose not to uncover themselves and coincidently (?) a law which matches that. Now, as the law doesn't include men, this is absolutely unfair. Surely people who believe in equal rights cannot disagree with that, and for the inequality it is worth arguing over - we need to remove inequality entirely, and that includes what might appear to be asinine debates like this one. But back to the point, is society even ready or willing to follow through on this? It would be simple enough to remove this law or to ammend it so that the cover-up policy extends to both sexes, but at the end of the day, we wont see much change in how we all dress anyway as we're all sheep. We love to conform. Society's mores are very strong I think.

Macfistowannabe said:
Both are morally responsible for their actions. Is that principle insane? I think not. I never said men are not responsible for their actions as well. Care to share which post of mine suggested that?[/B]

that women need to be covered up so they will retain their mystery and allure for the menfolk, as if the reason for feminine modesty is not to drive the men crazy with lust and desire -- basically implying that it is up to women and society to regulate and control the female figure because men are deep down lustful creatures and can't control themselves. sort of a "women, watch your men!" argument.

You said you agree with this statement. This statement puts the burden on women, therefore men give up their responsibility. This law would remove that. This law does not mean women are going to start walking around topless. This law just removes any obscenity and places all responsibility on sexual offenders.

Macfistowannabe said:

Caveman mentality LOL... I'm not blaming women in general, I'm upholding the law. If you don't like the law, good for you. Perhaps it serves as a purpose. There's a difference between private life and public life. This "revolution" would never happen anytime soon, sorry to let you down. If it were up to people like you, anything would be legal. After all, your take is that morality is none of the government's business. [/B]

In general? You are upholding an archaic law. I can think of a few laws that you don't like. That's a weak argument.

And this 'people like you anything would be legal' bullshit. You have me confused with someone else my friend for I've never said that. You've never seen me say that, I may take sides in certain debates, but never have you seen me outright say that, because it's simple not true.

So try again. I'm out for the weekend.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
You said you agree with this statement. This statement puts the burden on women, therefore men give up their responsibility. This law would remove that. This law does not mean women are going to start walking around topless. This law just removes any obscenity and places all responsibility on sexual offenders.

In general? You are upholding an archaic law. I can think of a few laws that you don't like. That's a weak argument.

And this 'people like you anything would be legal' bullshit. You have me confused with someone else my friend for I've never said that. You've never seen me say that, I may take sides in certain debates, but never have you seen me outright say that, because it's simple not true.

So try again. I'm out for the weekend.
You're a big fan of outrage. I never said men aren't responsible. You're exaggerating on a false assumption that I somehow believe men are not responsible for their actions. When you make this assumption repeadedly, I have to dismiss any half-logic you present. Read my post that stated if you want equality, then bar men from not wearing shirts. You either have a major problem with conformity, or you feel obligated to take the hard liberal side no matter what the issue is. Even if it's a stupid issue.

Last edited:
sulawesigirl4 said:
I'm not going to even bother to read the 10 pages that preceeded this. :huh: But I just wanted to make one comment. Both in the small mountain village where I was raised in Indonesia as well as generally here in Malian society where I am now living, bare breasts are a total non-starter. Women feed their children, go about their work (which, it should be mentioned is HARD physical labor) in the hot sun totally without shirts and no one blinks an eye, stares or commits rape on the spot. Breasts in America are far too sexualized. I personally don't see what the big deal is.

That was my point earlier...thank you for saying it better than I could.

Angela Harlem said:
You've made some interesting points, but this is one in particular. Re: not society deciding, but the individual. I dont totally agree with what you said about reactions and someone being opposed to simply look away, as I dont believe it is entirely that easy. Society as a whole is not familiar with nudity being common place so we do tend to notice anyone who stands out, and we could and are physically able to look away if uncomfortable with seeing a bare breast, but it will sure as buggery stand out.

I'm not saying it won't stand out...in this society, it most surely will, as opposed to societies where people walk around with parts of their body showing on a regular basis. I just feel that they shouldn't have to change how they dress simply because of how some people could possibly react to them. While a lot of people would be surprised by seeing a nude body, there's always going to be those who won't give it a second thought, either. And so I just feel each person should dress however they feel is appropriate for themselves, and it's up to everyone else to decide how they want to react to the body. They can be bothered by the outfit (or lack thereof) or they can just shrug and go about their business. But I just don't agree with completely stopping people from putting on their own body whatever they want to put on it. That's all.

Besides that, one reason why some people in this country go so far in terms of nudity is because they know it'll shock people. If you don't give them that satisfaction, that'll lessen the amount of nudity more than outright banning it will.

Originally posted by Angela Harlem
As a society we conform an awfully large amount and most people dress alike, not only to the extent of being 'generally' covered up, but even further to the point where on weekends you see most kicking around in jeans and 9-5 on weekdays attire is also uniformal in it's own way. This might be a bit of a chicken or the egg argument as what society is used to is not really what this is about - but did this become law because we don't have familiarity and comfort with exposed boobs (in day-to-day), or did we lose familiarity because it was decided too much exposure is not good? Either way, society now shies away from totally free expression and nudity/over exposure. What we have is a society filled with (for the most part) women who choose not to uncover themselves and coincidently (?) a law which matches that. Now, as the law doesn't include men, this is absolutely unfair. Surely people who believe in equal rights cannot disagree with that, and for the inequality it is worth arguing over - we need to remove inequality entirely, and that includes what might appear to be asinine debates like this one. But back to the point, is society even ready or willing to follow through on this? It would be simple enough to remove this law or to ammend it so that the cover-up policy extends to both sexes, but at the end of the day, we wont see much change in how we all dress anyway as we're all sheep. We love to conform. Society's mores are very strong I think.

I think you're quite right with what you're saying about society-conformity is a very big thing for a lot of people, it's a comfort thing and all that, they don't feel so weird that way 'cause everyone else is just like them. And that thinking can have its good and bad aspects to it.

As for how to solve this problem, like I said, I do think the law should be fixed so that both sexes can either dress in whatever various stage of clothing works for them, or that the law should require men to cover up if women have to as well. Either way, though, you're right, there'll be conformity regardless.

Originally posted by Saracene

I know. And I think that's a shame, as there are people who wear suits and ties to their jobs, but that doesn't automatically mean that they're going to be a good, respectable person, just as someone who wore hotpants and a tanktop could wind up making a really impressive case and be a really respected member of their firm and everything. And of course, vice versa as well. I guess some of my feelings on this also kinda date back to hearing people call a girl a "whore" or whatever because of how she's dressed, too-again, like you said, it's society's conventions and all that, but that kind of thing still personally bugs me because how you dress shouldn't determine what kind of a person you are, what your sex life is like, what kind of attitudes you have on things, etc., etc.-at least, that's my view. But society has its feelings about this whole subject regardless, you're certainly right about that.

Personally, I like what sulawesigirl4 had to say about the issue.

Angela

Macfistowannabe said:

Caveman mentality LOL... I'm not blaming women in general, I'm upholding the law. If you don't like the law, good for you. Perhaps it serves as a purpose. There's a difference between private life and public life. This "revolution" would never happen anytime soon, sorry to let you down. If it were up to people like you, anything would be legal. After all, your take is that morality is none of the government's business. [/B]

you might consider spending a wekend at a nudist camp

to overcome your areolaphobia

Back
Top Bottom