A REVOLUTION I think we can ALL get behind! - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #196
The Fly

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Your comment is off-key. Women are given many opportunities in today's society than they and blacks were given in the 1960s. The discussion is not over PEOPLE, but body parts. I'd like to see a better example.
so separate people from their body parts?

ouch, there goes my left nut...

Old 03-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #197
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
You were doing much better before you made that comment.
Sarcasm. Look it up.

Quote:

And this one:
Well your comment that this was in reference to actually never deserved a reply, but it was so damn ironic that I had to show my appreciation for the humor.

Quote:

And this one: conformity is mindless.
Well it doesn't take thought to follow, but the other thread speaks for itself.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:36 AM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
*sigh* I can't really believe breasts cause this much conversation.

Another observation. Where I am living now, breasts are considered a natural and normal part of the female body with the primary use of feeding an infant. To fulfill that task, they are often uncovered. Women wear clothing that is often loose and if you can see underneath and glimpse a breast (even a nipple) no one would stare or even blush. It's life. Now, to add another thought. I happen to be in an intimate relationship with a man of this culture. And to be frank, yes, breasts CAN have sexual meaning even within this cultural contexts. But, it seems that men here are able to distinguish between when seeing them as sexual is appropriate and when it is not. Rather like other parts of the body. Are ankles scandalous? No. But can they be sexy? Sure. Depends on the context. This is a lesson that I would think adults could learn.

Thank you.

Angela
Old 03-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #199
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Your comment is off-key. Women are given many opportunities in today's society than they and blacks were given in the 1960s. The discussion is not over PEOPLE, but body parts. I'd like to see a better example.
Actually his comment was pretty damn on. Yes we've come a long way from the 60's but nowhere near where we should be. Your comments are a prime example. This discussion is about PEOPLE, people are the sum of everything body, soul, and mind.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #200
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
I feel my comment is DEAD on!

Before legislation, the opinions many held....ie Equal Rights for African-Americans....had to be legislated, and enforced because even with legislation, people held to their prejudices about them.

And, I agree with you that they are given many opportunities, but I am sorry to disagree with you, that just because a woman shows her breasts there are going to be riots on the beaches with men with raging erections and they cannot control themselves. Sorry, but it does not happen that way.

Equal rights is equal rights.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #201
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
*sigh* I can't really believe breasts cause this much conversation.
Seriously, no kidding without the words Bush, Gay, Homosexual, Marriage.....

I am rather proud of it.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

bush ... gay ... homosexual ... marriage ... gay ... ashcroft ... iraq ... bush ... gay ... gay ... bush ... marriage ... gay ... mayr cheney ... marriage ... homosexuality ... cheney ... jesus ... gay
Old 03-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #203
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

...thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. My sentiments exactly. I personally have no desire to parade around town with next to no clothing, but I do not for the life of me understand why in the world it's such a bad thing if other women want to do so. It's a human body. Nothing more, nothing less. I would go on, but this quoted part of the article pretty much summed it all up.

Angela
Too right. well said Angela.

Quote:
Oh wah...

I'd wish they would stop wasting their lives and come up with a cause that makes sense.

Yes. Incidentally - this reminds me of the arsing Spice Girls and "girl power" - essentially, our right, as women, to wear micro-miniskirts and get our tits out... for no other reason than to make blokes fancy a bit, which in my opinion has nothing to do with personal freedom. I agree completely that we should wear what we want, when we want, show off whatever we like, and be happy with it... but I could do without the Spice Girls' type of feminism. I don't know about any of you other ladies, but I personally have always worn whatever the hell I want, while spending my time attempting to deal with more important issues affecting women.

I remember reading about a little girl, back in 1997, in some newspaper or other. She was only 5. She had decided at the age of 4, that her aim in life was to marry someone just like David Beckham - she was obviously unambitious from a young age. This kid kept saying that the reason Victoria (PoshSpice) was with David, was because she was so pretty, and so THIN, and wore loads of make-up, and dyed her hair... and that she wished that she was just like Victoria, her role model. I know she was only a little girl, but I did find that quite worrying.My little niece, who is two and a half, knows better than that. As a youngster, I loved dressing up and messing around with hairstyles, etc, like many little girls - but I never, ever thought for a second that I had to do that if I wanted a man later in life. It's bloody scary, to me.

I'm probably taking this all too seriously, but it just reminds me of a comment I read in an article years ago, about "young women being modelled to meet the expectations and desires of young men". Which is extreme, but in many ways, I think it's very true - and it hurts. The whole thing sucks: we're all human, we're all someone's daughter, or someone's son.

I hope that made some sense! I'm not at my most articulate at this hour of night (midnight here).
Old 03-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #204
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Exactly. I don't remember any of my male teachers walking around the classroom without a shirt
I don't ever wanna imagine that!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #205
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Then why the charge for the right to do this???

This is not a blame game, but one of consequences. If a high school male takes off a shirt during PE, and a female student does the same, the discussion of equal rights will be drown out by the hoopla created by the topless female.
Consequences? Such as what, precisely? Ah well, girls, we'd better not show any flesh at all, just in case it raises "hoopla". That, generally speaking, says a hell of a lot more about men than women. It's just ridiculous, pointless, petty, and discriminatory.

Quote:
Originally posted by glenn

Good points, it's just perception, what makes a guy with his shirt off not obscene, and a girl without her shirt on obscene?
I remember having this discussion with a former boyfriend of mine, and banging on about my frustration and anger that women who enjoy showing off their bodies are frequently said to be "asking for it". My ex pointed out that, in that case, the same rule would apply to men wearing cycle shorts - if women are inviting attack by wearing skimpy clothes, it is no different than a topless/scantily clad male being attacked by a guy who happens to be gay.

I remember telling another friend this... and she thought I was being homophobic (which I have never been in my life and never will be - I know you people have more sense than to think that). The way I see it, you get psychos who are of all sexual orientations, preying on the vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Very true....

When I take my shirt off, my wife gets out the razor....

When she takes her shirt off.......

There is a bunch of hoopla.......hours and hours....some times days.....

weekends.....

Of course, my Dr. warned me about the effects of theose four hour....

Ummmmm

Never mind.
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

FYM is turning into Dr. Ruth

Quote:
If you wanted to get behind a serious women's cause that could actually benefit society, I would think fighting for equal pay in the workforce is a good start. This thread is a joke.
Agreed - despite having posted several times in this thread!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

A guy can get aroused just by seeing a pretty girl in a tight sweater. And if some jerk tries anything on her, that's his problem, not hers, and he's the one who should be dealt with.
No arguments there whatoever. It's called COMMON SENSE, and you are spot on, as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Irvine511

well, earlier you wrote: "Actually, I was argued that I was conditioned to find them sexual. It's like trying to lose your accent, I don't think I could be as faithful as I desire to be to the woman I love if this became acceptable."

it's a very boys-will-be-boys argument. that women need to be covered up so they will retain their mystery and allure for the menfolk, as if the reason for feminine modesty is not to drive the men crazy with lust and desire -- basically implying that it is up to women and society to regulate and control the female figure because men are deep down lustful creatures and can't control themselves. sort of a "women, watch your men!" argument.
[/QUOTE]

Irvine... you have just said everything that I've been trying to say in my last few posts.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
I feel my comment is DEAD on!
Go on thinking that if you want to...

Yet it seems any cause/agenda uses the Civil Rights movement as an attempt to back it up.

Quote:
Before legislation, the opinions many held....ie Equal Rights for African-Americans....had to be legislated, and enforced because even with legislation, people held to their prejudices about them.
So let me get this straight. Because I feel the law is suitable for a breast-obsessed society, this means I'm holding prejudices? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the point you are trying to make.

Quote:
And, I agree with you that they are given many opportunities, but I am sorry to disagree with you, that just because a woman shows her breasts there are going to be riots on the beaches with men with raging erections and they cannot control themselves. Sorry, but it does not happen that way.
No riots, hopefully never any... all that stuff is exaggeration. I never said anything about riots. Congrats on the success of your thread and all - yes I mean that, but at least 3 pages are devoted to my "caveman" stance on the revolution. I'm not complaining, I think it's funny.

Quote:
Equal rights is equal rights.
My workplace allows women to wear earrings, but not men. Should I sue them? Are you going to use this defense for me?

"Equality"... "Revolution".... Let's put two and two together:

Or we could just eliminate the buzzwords and tell it as it is.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Sarcasm. Look it up.
Let me correct myself, you were doing better on here before you went for that 'caveman' cheapshot.

Quote:
Well your comment that this was in reference to actually never deserved a reply, but it was so damn ironic that I had to show my appreciation for the humor.
Thanks for the compliment. If everyone on earth were like you, I could be a filthy rich comedian. Oh wait, that means big brother would interfere with me having too much success.

Quote:
Well it doesn't take thought to follow, but the other thread speaks for itself.
It sure does, and not everyone on it agrees with you that 'conformity is mindless.'
Old 03-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by earthshell
so separate people from their body parts?

ouch, there goes my left nut...
Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I said.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:04 PM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
[q]Women Bare Breasts in Prince Charles Visit

2 hours, 42 minutes ago

By RAY LILLEY, Associated Press Writers

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Two women who bared their breasts in protest were arrested and dragged away as Britain's Prince Charles arrived for an official function Tuesday in New Zealand's capital.

Photo
AP Photo

The two women, described by police as taking part in "unrelated" protests, were later charged with disorderly behavior.

One woman climbed atop a wall, bared her chest and shouted "shame, shame" as Charles walked toward the City Art Gallery doorway. The woman, exposed from the waist up, was grabbed by two uniformed police officers, arrested and marched from the scene as the prince was led into the building.

In an apparent protest against the monarchy, the woman had the message "Get your colonial shame off my breasts" scrawled across her chest and stomach.

Reporters said the prince appeared to look in the woman's direction and smile as he entered the gallery.

Earlier in another part of the Civic Square, a bare-chested woman carrying a small child was hauled away by plain-clothed police moments before the prince would have been confronted by her as he greeted a line of well-wishers.

The woman, also bare from the waist up, was dragged away shouting, "I just want to feed my baby."

Charles did not appear to notice the woman, local media said.

Both women arrested were later freed on bail, police said.

In another apparently linked protest, five anti-monarchists stood atop a wall with banners reading "Death to the monarchy" and "Honor the treaty," a reference to British crown breaches of New Zealand's founding treaty with the indigenous Maori people.

A woman with a bullhorn chanted, "Shame on the British monarchy, shame for years of colonialism, shame for years of genocide."

The protesters shouted "parasites, parasites" as Charles walked through the city's Civic Square greeting some of the more than 600 people gathered to see him. The protests, the first of his five-day visit to New Zealand, caused no disruption.

The prince was on the third day of a five-day royal visit to New Zealand, a former British colony that retains Britain's monarch as head of state.

A growing republican movement wants to end the link and replace the monarch with a New Zealander. Some monarchists also oppose Charles becoming the nation's future king. [/q]
Old 03-08-2005, 06:56 AM   #210
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

My workplace allows women to wear earrings, but not men. Should I sue them? Are you going to use this defense for me?
One you're born with one you aren't.

But also there's the fact that the workplace is much different than that outside the workplace. No one in this thread is saying women should be able to walk around toppless at work(unless of course her work happen to be at a topless place). Businesses have dress codes, end of story. Some allow men to wear earrings some don't.

They aren't even comparible.

Quote:

"Equality"... "Revolution".... Let's put two and two together: