A REVOLUTION I think we can ALL get behind! - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #181
War Child

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
No, sounds more like you're missing my point. Breasts are still going to be considered obscene whether or not we legislate against indecent exposure.
Um, no. They should never be considered obscene.

God did not make the human body obscene.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #182
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:41 PM
I'm not even saying they should be, but I'm telling you that indecent exposure/public nudity is considered obscene by all but 38 members of The House of Representatives. Breasts - not always obscene, certainly not in the bedroom, the mirror, you know... your private life.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #183
War Child

Quote:
I'd laugh at any man who tries to use his mosquito bites for foreplay.
Apparently you haven't tried. Many men admit to enjoy having their nipples used during foreplay.

Quote:

Me too. The House of Representatives passed the Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act in a 389-38 vote. 36 of the minority vote were democrats, if anyone cares to know. With that kind of support on your side, nothing much will happen for 'the revolution' any time soon.
This is a broadcast decency act. Very different. TV and radio have much different guidelines from reality. You don't get fined for cussing, telling a lewd joke, discussing certain political opinions, etc but you do on TV or radio. Even in TV you have different standards in pay TV and public TV.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #184
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America
Apparently you haven't tried. Many men admit to enjoy having their nipples used during foreplay.
Interesting... yet, funny.

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America
This is a broadcast decency act. Very different. TV and radio have much different guidelines from reality. You don't get fined for cussing, telling a lewd joke, discussing certain political opinions, etc but you do on TV or radio. Even in TV you have different standards in pay TV and public TV.
Different guidelines from reality - a little bit, such as in the examples you cited - but not entirely.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #185
War Child

Quote:

Different guidelines from reality - a little bit, such as in the examples you cited - but not entirely.
You're right not entirely, but that's the point I was trying to make. You were using a broadcast standard as your backing for an argument. That makes no sense.

If you are going to use a broadcast standard for a basis on how society would run then you'd be losing your freedom of speech.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:27 PM   #186
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

FINAL THOUGHT OF THE DAY:

Should private life and public life be the same thing?

If so, how?
Any exceptions?
If not? How so?

Not running my mouth, I'm genuinely interested in your perspectives.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #187
War Child

Quote:
FINAL THOUGHT OF THE DAY:

Should private life and public life be the same thing?

No, that's why we have terms like private and public they are pretty self explainatory.

But now you're getting yourself in a whole other debate. If you are going to start down this path then you have to start asking does the government have any right to legislate your private life etc.

I don't think it has anything to do with this debate.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:11 PM   #188
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The House of Representatives passed the Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act in a 389-38 vote. 36 of the minority vote were democrats, if anyone cares to know.
Oh well it that case I'm sold, for we all know the House is always right.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 AM   #189
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
No, sounds more like you're missing my point. Breasts are still going to be considered obscene whether or not we legislate against indecent exposure.
Just as it was thought for a while that women and blacks were not equal even after it was legislated that they deserved to be treated equally.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:49 AM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Just as it was thought for a while that women and blacks were not equal even after it was legislated that they deserved to be treated equally.
Your comment is off-key. Women are given many opportunities in today's society than they and blacks were given in the 1960s. The discussion is not over PEOPLE, but body parts. I'd like to see a better example.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:52 AM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Oh well it that case I'm sold, for we all know the House is always right.
You were doing much better before you made that comment. And this one: . And this one: conformity is mindless.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:31 AM   #192
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
There are times when they are appropriate, and there are times when they are not. If it's Playboy, that's strictly your business how you choose to behave. If it's the Super Bowl halftime show where there are children in the audience - not to mention plain old folks who just want a decent means of entertainment, I won't cry for you if you get fined.
And it was for a split second, and it was something that everybody in the audience has seen at some point and time (yes, even the children have seen them in some way, shape, or form), and nobody got hurt or died...so where's the problem? By making a big deal out of it, that's gonna draw more attention to the incident than if it hadn't been mentioned (and broadcast on the news 20 trillion times). I didn't even see the incident occur, and wouldn't have known that anything happened if nobody'd made a big deal out of it. But they did, and all that does is make kids more curious, especially if they didn't see it originally.

Besides that, I don't know what adults were so afraid of in regards to kids seeing it-I heard stories that there were kids who saw it and thought it was gross, and there were kids who saw it and perhaps laughed about it for, like, a minute, then they moved on with their lives and wished the adults would do the same. You didn't see some big outbreak of kids going around flashing every person they saw afterwards, so I don't really understand why people freaked out so much, and I really wish kids were given more credit in regards to dealing with this kind of thing-most of them will be pretty mature about it all.

Quote:
A women's breast is considered the closest thing to a sex organ, and as a matter of fact, our society has treated them as sex organs. They are used in foreplay in our society more often than not. Therefore, laws have been made to suit the condition of our society. Men's breasts? They're not that attractive, and they are in no way treated as sex organs. I'd laugh at any man who tries to use his mosquito bites for foreplay.
Men's breasts aren't attractive? Tell that to a great deal of women in this world...they'd certainly beg to differ with you.

And women's breasts aren't just sex organs, they're also a means of providing nourishment for babies, too. Besides that, they're only seen as a sexual thing to those who want to see them that way...like I said earlier, there was a guy I talked to one time who didn't find women's breasts the sexiest part of the body. And there's some other guys in this world who feel the same way.

Quote:
Maybe so, but don't forget - you have admitted that reversing the law would not exactly result in desexualizing them. Certainly would not have that effect immediately.
I know...I never said it would. I understand that if this were legalized, there'd always be people out there who'd be bothered by it, and that's fine, they can be bothered by it all they wish. I just have an issue with them trying to ban women from showing off whatever part of their own body they want to show off.

Quote:
It would take many years, we would be OLD or DEAD by the time it happens.
We might, we might not. And even if we are old or dead by that time, well, hey, at least there'll be a new generation of women who'll feel comfortable dressing however they want without worrying that somebody is going to try and stop them from doing so because they personally found it offensive or obscene (yeah, your comment about breasts still being seen as "obscene"-correction, they're obscene to you and to certain other people. Not everybody in this country sees them as obscene).

Quote:
Me too. The House of Representatives passed the Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act in a 389-38 vote. 36 of the minority vote were democrats, if anyone cares to know. With that kind of support on your side, nothing much will happen for 'the revolution' any time soon.
Well, it never hurts to try anyway. Besides that, that bugs me about the government thing-it's not their job to regulate what we can and can't see on TV, that's our personal choice to make. I don't appreciate somebody sitting there and telling me what they think I should and shouldn't be allowed to see on TV (especially considering that our very same government apparently has no problem supporting war footage being broadcast on TV...that personally bothers me, but if they can still show that...). I have a mind of my own, I should be able to decide what I'm comfortable seeing on TV. If there's anything I don't feel like watching...well, the remote control was invented for a reason, after all.

Quote:
And that's understandable to ask those questions. They should be asked and discussed in order to recognize the problems and obsessions in our society. Life/death issue? No, simply a test of passion. I suppose I have a different take on the 'be willing to die for what you believe in' concept than most people. I see honor in that, I think it makes a very strong statement if someone would give their life to make a difference in society, whatever their views are.
I agree, I can see honor in the whole "dying for your beliefs" thing, too...shows how passionate you are about them and everything. But if people don't die for their beliefs, well, that's their choice-it doesn't mean they're any less passionate about them, they just want to find a different means of fighting for what they believe in. Nothing wrong with that, either.

Angela
Old 03-07-2005, 07:34 AM   #193
The Fly

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Quote:
You were doing much better before you made that comment. And this one: . And this one: conformity is mindless.
and you were doing much better before your first post on this thread.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #194
The Fly

Local Time: 12:41 AM
'Should private life and public life be the same thing?'

why should they be any different? it's a shame people have to live a double life, and be a different person in private than in public. a damn shame.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:41 PM
*sigh* I can't really believe breasts cause this much conversation.

Another observation. Where I am living now, breasts are considered a natural and normal part of the female body with the primary use of feeding an infant. To fulfill that task, they are often uncovered. Women wear clothing that is often loose and if you can see underneath and glimpse a breast (even a nipple) no one would stare or even blush. It's life. Now, to add another thought. I happen to be in an intimate relationship with a man of this culture. And to be frank, yes, breasts CAN have sexual meaning even within this cultural contexts. But, it seems that men here are able to distinguish between when seeing them as sexual is appropriate and when it is not. Rather like other parts of the body. Are ankles scandalous? No. But can they be sexy? Sure. Depends on the context. This is a lesson that I would think adults could learn.