A question on the hypocricies of religion - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2001, 10:07 AM   #46
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 11:44 AM
I hate threads like these, just bashing for the sake of bashing.

It is an all too common and arrogant mistake for people to believe that God has failed them when in reality, they have failed God.

Old 03-08-2001, 10:22 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

No offense, DebbieSG, but you imply that Catholics are not Christians. I take major offense to that, and just because Catholicism is not your way does not mean we are lesser Christians. Praying to a crucifix is praying to Jesus. We do not believe that the crucifix itself is Jesus, and we, more often, pray to Jesus without a crucifix. I am tired of God being portrayed as some dim-witted, essentialist Being who judges us solely on how our actions are perceived to outsiders, rather than our intentions behind them. He definitely can read our minds, yes?

The Catholic Church put it better in their official statement against fundamentalism. I wholeheartedly agree with its reasoning.

Melon

------------------
"If I had to choose between the continued possibility of nothing happening and of doing something, I would unquestionably choose the latter...or the former." -- Radiohead

Old 03-08-2001, 11:59 AM   #48
The Fly

Local Time: 01:44 PM
Sincere question: Then, why use the symbols, idols, etc.?

kerc

------------------
k e r c

Pero no hay nada que temer
Soy todo lo que llevo
El final es el principio de lo nuevo
Old 03-08-2001, 02:24 PM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by kerc:
Sincere question: Then, why use the symbols, idols, etc.?

kerc

because it's easier for people to relate to...

------------------
Quote:
"What fish don't know"--Marshall McLuhan
madamc@interference.com
Old 03-08-2001, 08:19 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 04:44 PM
melon, to "you imply that Catholics are not Christians":

No, I was not saying that at all. Please don't take offense. I'm saying that Catholics choose to have Jesus on the Cross, which may be ok. It does seem to go against the law of making images, but if it enhances worship of God, then that would seem to justify it. By Jesus' example, doing what is good is more important than following the law. It is a matter of contention between Catholics and Protestants, BOTH of whom I believe are followers of Christ, and it shouldn't be.

As I said, I prayed to Jesus on the cross and received God's blessing. I was in St. Patrick's church in Ireland (where I attended two masses in other parts of the country) and came up to a woman who stood before a religious statue and felt a strong spiritual presence around her. I also attended an evangelical worship service and felt the holy spirit reaching into the crowd. It's not how we worship, but that we love God and each other!

And don't tag me as a fundamentalist!
Old 03-09-2001, 09:58 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, you had to see my dilemma with one of your statements:

"Before I became a Christian, I was in a very dangerous situation and, being in a Catholic home, prayed to the crucifix on the wall for safety. God answered my prayer; he sent Jesus."

I may have misinterpreted this statement, and I may be a little over-sensitive lately (it's been an odd week at my end), but how I took it originally is that you were Catholic, prayed to a crucifix, which was useless, and then got sent your salvation in "Christian religion," i.e., no longer Catholic. I often get that a lot from the Protestant sects in my area--Catholics are evil, over-ritualistic non-Christians. Anyway, as I reread your quote, I think that that is a misplaced interpretation, and I apologize. I've been on-edge, considering all the debating I've been doing lately! I think that is a cue for me to bow out for a little while...

Anyway, I'm sorry again, and I hope there is no hard feelings!

Melon

------------------
"If I had to choose between the continued possibility of nothing happening and of doing something, I would unquestionably choose the latter...or the former." -- Radiohead
Old 03-09-2001, 08:57 PM   #52
Refugee

melon: nope, no hard feelings. I was Jewish before converting.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:34 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG:
Presbyterian
Debbie:

Would that be Presbyterian (USA) or Presbyterian Church of America (PCA)?

Old 03-10-2001, 01:21 AM   #54
Refugee

U2Bama: You got me there. I didn't know there were different organizations. I just looked on some literature and found that it is from "U.S.A." I go to College Avenue Presbyterian Church in Oakland, CA. I had heard that there was a split between northern and southern denominations, but that they united in 1983. Can you tell me what the difference is?

While I attend this church regurlarly, Christ is more important to me than any particular denomination. I just feel comfortable worshiping in the manner that they do at our church, and feel very much a part of this "family." There is no ethic I espouse that any other Christian wouldn't believe.

If there are splits in denominations, it's really a matter of style. Like Bono saying that Catholicism is "Glamrock." BTW, I suppose that American Presbyterians are different again from those in Ireland. We ought to all get together, leave the church structures behind and praise God together!

Meanwhile, we can sure be thankful that here in America, all these different denominations can coexist without going at each other's throats like they do in Ireland. I pray for unity among us. We are all one body, but different parts. Nuff said?
Old 03-12-2001, 01:04 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

DebbieSG:

The congregation you attend is a member of the Presbyterian Church (USA). It is the oldest group of Presbyterian denominations, and like you said, it was re-unified from 2 groups in 1983. I'm not sure if it was a north/south pattern like the Baptists and Southern Baptists (although you can find strong Southern Baptist congregations anywhere).

The Presbyterian Church (PCA) is a newer group, and I'm not sure if/when the split from USA.

Here in Alabama, the USA group is known for a more formal style of worship but a more liberal stance on social activism (from my experiences, both similar to the United Methodist Church, to which I belong). The PCA group has a more modern style of worship but is more socially conservative.

I didn't realize thhe PCA group was relatively small in relation to the USA group, particularly because the mother PCA churhc in my area (Briarwood Presbyterian) is HUGE and haas also spun off several, fast growing neighborhood congregations. But they are in California and the rest of the nation from what I can tell.
Old 03-12-2001, 01:06 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Duplicate; sorry.

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 03-12-2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 01:43 PM   #57
Acrobat

what kind of Presbyterian is the Rev. Ian Paisley???????

Dream wanderer

------------------
******* If this be madness,then let us make the most of it!***

at times I felt that I had come a long way only to find that which I sought the most was something I had left behind.

from "Everest:The West Ridge"
Old 03-12-2001, 02:57 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by dream wanderer:
what kind of Presbyterian is the Rev. Ian Paisley???????
He is a minister of the "Free Presbyterian Church" which to my knowledge is not affiliated with the PCA or USA groups. The focus of their denomination, which is in Europe and North America, seems to be anti-Catholicism and the infallibility of the Bible (w/o the Apocrypha), so he and Melon would have a lot to talk about/debate.

Another group that goes by the name "Presbyterian" is the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, founded in Kentucky and Tennessee prior to the Civil War. These days, they are mainly rural and/or African-American congregations and are characterized by gospel music in conjunction with the beliefs of mainline Presbyterians.

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 03-12-2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 05:56 PM   #59
Refugee

U2Bama: Thanks for the info! I also learned from my pastor that PCA splintered off because they wanted to be more evangelistic.

Are you affiliated with any church?
Old 03-12-2001, 10:01 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG:
U2Bama: Thanks for the info! I also learned from my pastor that PCA splintered off because they wanted to be more evangelistic.

Are you affiliated with any church?

That sounds right, knowing what I know about the PCA congregations around here. When I was in high school and college, I know their members were very involved in Campus Life and other youth/college outreach.

I am a member of the United Methodist Church, which I have always been because that's what my family belonged to when I was born, and so was/is my wife. I like the style of worship (which varies from congregation to congregation) and I like the recognition that the UMC gives other Christian denominations (Including Protestant, Catholic & Orthodox) as part of the body of Christ. For example, we have open Communion - anyone is invited to partake, though some members of other denominations choose not to, and that is fine.