A Question for Those of You Opposed to the War With Iraq - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:27 AM
A Question for Those of You Opposed to the War With Iraq

Suppose Bush decides to call off military action and continue down the diplomacy trail with Iraq.

Suppose 1 year from now, a dirty nuke, a real nuke or a bomb containing chemical or biological agents goes off in downtown Los Angeles, or Seattle or New York or London or Tel Aviv (or wherever). Suppose hundreds or even thousands die.

Suppose we are able to determine that it was supplied to the perpetrators by Iraq.

Would you reverse course and agree that Bush should have ordered military action against Iraq today? Or would you be of the opinion that now that Iraq has proven their propensity for this kind of deed, military action is necessary.

Old 03-18-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:27 PM
First off, you posted this in the wrong forum newbie!

But seriously, there really is no point in arguing all sorts of scenarios. I guess there are scenarios to fit every agenda, but what we have to deal with is the here and now.

Suppose US forces go into Iraq, Saddam gives Israel a bad look and Israel launches his nukes causing arab nations to retalliate etc. Millions of casualties. Would you still think going into Iraq was a good thing?

Old 03-18-2003, 02:41 PM   #3
Refugee

perpretating war is not a good thing.

i will stand my my feeling on this.

i feel sick inside at the thought of the loss of life.

whats the point of the scenario?
Old 03-18-2003, 02:53 PM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:27 PM
I think someone has been watching too much "24"
Old 03-18-2003, 03:32 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sickened and disgusted by the thought of all of the lives that are going to be lost. This isn't even like Desert Storm, which had UN approval and support. This is going to make any threat more likely, not less likely.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:56 PM   #6
Purgatory

Local Time: 01:27 PM
as long as the american administration thinks theyre right, what more support do they need? the supporters in the streets are fucking hippies who should be poisoned like the rodents they are.

come on, you and whos army
you and your cronies
holy roman empire
you think you can take us all on
you and and whos army
Old 03-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #7
Acrobat

My point is that Saddam is a proven threat to the US, his own people, the region and the rest of the world.

He's been in violation of the resolution that ended the Gulf War for 12 years and is obviously using diplomacy as a ploy.

Nobody thought 9/11 would happen - sounds like a story line from "24", doesn't it? Well, as you know - it happened.

How is today's Saddam any different than an 8/11/01 Osama? He's not.

If we could go back in time, to pre-9/11 - knowing what we know now, wouldn't you support a military effort againt the Taliban and Al Queda?

I sure would.

Saddam has been given many, many chances to avert War. He is not backing down, which implies his guilt as much as anything else.

If we wait, we could very well find ourselves in another huge mess.

War is ugly, but it appears to be necessary in this instance.

Let's just pray that it is swift and as accurate as possible.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:13 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i was reading an editorial the other day and the writer said something about how these attacks could inspire "little osamas" to try and do something against the us.
Isnt the rule in the US "innocent until proven guilty"? If u havent commited the crime, even if ur about to ur still innocent.
i am glad that it is not me in Bush's shoes because the man has had to make some hard choices. However, I do believe that war should be an absolute last resort. A Plan Z if u will.
i was also reading about how one of the UN inspectors said it could take months to disarm. So Bush has been presurred to act. To make choices. And seeing as though he had already sent about a quarter of a million soldiers towards the middle east he had to act soon so that the heat of summer would not affect the moral of the soldiers who were sent.
War should be avoided as much as possible. Let us pray so that Bush makes the right choices. He's the one holding the wheel, he's responsible for the passengers...
Old 03-19-2003, 12:49 AM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Suppose the coalition invades.

Iraq fires chemical weapons etc into Israel.

Israel responds with nukes.

The rest of the Arab states all attack Israel, and the region descends into chaos.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:52 AM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:27 PM
*Just showing how the 'possible scenario' game can be played.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:12 AM   #11
Purgatory

good point brettig, but you make uncle same mad. and making uncle sam mad, aint cool. ask the chix of dixie.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:59 AM   #12
War Child

Re: A Question for Those of You Opposed to the War With Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by One Tree Still
Suppose Bush decides to call off military action and continue down the diplomacy trail with Iraq.

Suppose 1 year from now, a dirty nuke, a real nuke or a bomb containing chemical or biological agents goes off in downtown Los Angeles, or Seattle or New York or London or Tel Aviv (or wherever). Suppose hundreds or even thousands die.

Suppose we are able to determine that it was supplied to the perpetrators by Iraq.

Would you reverse course and agree that Bush should have ordered military action against Iraq today? Or would you be of the opinion that now that Iraq has proven their propensity for this kind of deed, military action is necessary.
This could not be possible, because that would legitimize Bush's actions and we couldn't have any of that...
Old 03-19-2003, 05:37 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!

They did a survey in South of Ireland recently and at the moment 66% are pretty sure Saddam will respond with Biological and Chemical Weapons...........and 33% are thinking he will take war 'into the west'.

I dont trust any of this......

I think we are truly all fuked right now.

Old 03-19-2003, 06:19 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

That's right, suppose Israel messes with Iraq and turns Arab countries into even bigger opposition than they already are?
Old 03-19-2003, 12:40 PM   #15
Acrobat

There are many possible scenarios - a meteor might smash into Iraq and take care of things for us - but my question has still not been answered.

Instead, it's been met by other, more unrealistic scenarios that bring other variables into the mix.