A question for the FYM masses. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
The Fly
 
maude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 102
Local Time: 10:09 PM
A question for the FYM masses.

Why is it that on this forum prejudice is generally not tolerated in regards to sex, race, and religion, but when it comes to political affiliation, it becomes ok? Prejudice is the mark of an ignorant people and I have to wonder when I see otherwise intelligent posters on this forum, from both sides of the political spectrum, reduce so many interesting discussions into democart vs. republican bashing nonsense. If it's wrong to dismiss or show a lack of respect toward an individual based on their gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or religion, then isn't it just as wrong to do so based on their political "label"?
__________________

__________________
maude is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Babyface
 
freetobeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Local Time: 01:09 PM
Very good question. I have often wondered the same thing. Everyone here claims to be so tolerant and inclusive, yet when someone expresses a viewpoint other than the prevailant one, they are attacked. The majority of people here seem to be college democrats, internet libs and are very, very judgemental of others. I guess they're only tolerant of those who are like them. So, aren't they the very thing they claim to despise? Because the mods generally share their views, and mods are apparently chosen on the basis of their views, the mods take their side, thus all of the people expressing other viewpoints are banned from here. That's the way to do it, shut up everyone who disagrees with you, shout them down, band them, so you can be right.
__________________

__________________
freetobeme is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Refugee
 
JMScoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Near Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,268
Local Time: 11:09 PM
i said i wouldnt post here anymore, but i gotta say to this thread. hopefully it wont be locked in 5 minutes.
__________________
My Recordings
http://www.freewebs.com/jmscoopy
JMScoopy is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 10:09 PM
Re: A question for the FYM masses.

Quote:
Originally posted by maude
If it's wrong to dismiss or show a lack of respect toward an individual based on their gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or religion, then isn't it just as wrong to do so based on their political "label"?
Gender, sex, race these are all things we're born with and can't control.

Idealogy is a choice, and they are choices that effect the lives of everyone around us. So it is much different.

Now that being said, no I don't think it's OK to reduce someone down to a label, and one shouldn't make assumptions based on that label.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 07-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by freetobeme
Very good question. I have often wondered the same thing. Everyone here claims to be so tolerant and inclusive, yet when someone expresses a viewpoint other than the prevailant one, they are attacked. The majority of people here seem to be college democrats, internet libs and are very, very judgemental of others. I guess they're only tolerant of those who are like them. So, aren't they the very thing they claim to despise? Because the mods generally share their views, and mods are apparently chosen on the basis of their views, the mods take their side, thus all of the people expressing other viewpoints are banned from here. That's the way to do it, shut up everyone who disagrees with you, shout them down, band them, so you can be right.
Great insight for someone who joined yesterday.

You make general sweeping judgements in a thread discouraging against it. That's great.

So who are you really?
*beware of the troll*
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 07-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 10:09 PM
Ah the joy of alters.

Back to the original post: I find it just a bit amusing (read: disturbing) that you include political affiliation in the same group as sex, race and religion.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:09 PM
I think we should be willing to look at ourselves based on the question. I don't think we should get defensive everytime someone questions the atmosphere in FYM.

To you original statement: Are political positions the same as gender, race, religion? No. So you cannot fully expect the same standards to apply.

That being said, people do learn things about other people's views and, in many cases, something about their own views. Obviously, you see something else happening in these threads. Remember, FYM is not the same thing as face to face or group discussion. You can get away with behvior on line that you would do in person.

People come here for different reasons - good and bad. The real bad apples are either banned or go away on their own. That doesn't necessarily leave us with the paradise of political discussion.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,297
Local Time: 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by freetobeme
Because the mods generally share their views, and mods are apparently chosen on the basis of their views, the mods take their side, thus all of the people expressing other viewpoints are banned from here. That's the way to do it, shut up everyone who disagrees with you, shout them down, band them, so you can be right.
Yes, we ban people all the time for simply expressing their viewpoints.

Maybe you should get your facts straight 'newbie' and read our rules before making accusations or assumptions (Rules) . If people consistantly break the rules while expressing their viewpoints, well they need to take responsibility for their actions. Oh but wait, you already know all about the rules, you've been here for years.

Why dont you stop making alters already, constantly having to hide behind other screen names. It's getting old.
__________________
Sicy is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
That being said, people do learn things about other people's views and, in many cases, something about their own views.
I've come to understand why some people are conservative. I'm a liberal, like most people in FYM. But I also believe that we don't have all of the answers and are perfectly capable of screwing up big time. I don't agree with the conservatives but sometimes I can see where they're coming from. Does this make any sense?
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 11:09 PM
Re: A question for the FYM masses.

Quote:
Originally posted by maude
Why is it that on this forum prejudice is generally not tolerated in regards to sex, race, and religion, but when it comes to political affiliation, it becomes ok? Prejudice is the mark of an ignorant people and I have to wonder when I see otherwise intelligent posters on this forum, from both sides of the political spectrum, reduce so many interesting discussions into democart vs. republican bashing nonsense. If it's wrong to dismiss or show a lack of respect toward an individual based on their gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or religion, then isn't it just as wrong to do so based on their political "label"?
You make an assumption that political dissent is the equivalent of "prejudice." Politics, along with religion, however, have the distinction of being completely learned. No person, alive or dead, is physically tied to any ideology.

And perhaps we can blame this on the post-9/11 collapse of postmodernism. To agree that both liberal and conservative opinions are equally valid would be the equivalent to what conservatives deride as "relativism." As much as I personally tried to argue that "objectivity," as we say, is really a construct of "cultural subjectivity," conservatives would not have that. To them, there had to be one path towards righteousness--an "Objective Moral Law," as they put it. As such, for my past self to state that both conservative and liberal opinions are equally valid would be to incite anger to those very conservatives I was trying to appease.

Frankly, my patience has run out. There is one path, and the conservatives have chosen the wrong one, in spite of all the education, progress, logic, philosophy, and blatant fact that modern civilization provides. In a pluralistic society, it is true that we are free to believe what we would like, and I would never once suggest shutting down dissenting thought through force. But if someone wants to use their constitutional right to believe that there's a leprechaun and a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I have my constitutional right to tell them that they're delusional and full of crap. And, likewise, while it is society's constitutional right to be racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, and misogynist in the privacy of their own home and in the realm of discourse, it is also my constitutional right to do everything in my power to prove them wrong when they try to legislate their ignorance and tyranny onto the rest of us.

After all, this is precisely what conservatives think of liberals. I'm merely returning the favor.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 09:00 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 05:09 AM
^Melon, what precisely do you mean by 'conservative'?
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
^Melon, what precisely do you mean by 'conservative'?
I should be specific in that I'm referring to social conservatives.

I am more than willing to engage in the marketplace of ideas when it comes to political conservatism versus political liberalism, and I bear no ill will towards those political conservatives who do not harbor any of the bigotry that permeates social conservatism. In fact, politically, I have learned a lot from the debate between the two sides.

Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my original response here, but, as you know, American conservative politics is rather inextricably tied to social conservatism. I find the fact that the Tories in the UK have abandoned much of their old prejudices on social issues to be refreshing.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:09 AM
I enjoy your posts, melon. I understand your frustrations, sometimes I have them too, and I have my frustrations in other areas of discussion, particularly some of the discussions of Islam.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I enjoy your posts, melon. I understand your frustrations, sometimes I have them too, and I have my frustrations in other areas of discussion, particularly some of the discussions of Islam.
I think we all have those frustrations (in different areas, depending on each person's view). The people who do best understand that, the people who don't do well whine.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Babyface
 
freetobeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Local Time: 01:09 PM
So much for the 'Hide My IP' program

*uninstalls*

*returns for refund*
__________________

__________________
freetobeme is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com