A question for the conservatives here - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2002, 12:17 AM   #1
She's the One

Local Time: 06:54 PM
A question for the conservatives here

And, yeah, I'm baiting you somewhat, but I also really want to know, so here goes.

You are having dinner with Bono, pretend you won a contest or something; anyway, you've been having a great conversation, intelligent fan to intelligent musician. It's been great. Suddenly, he starts talking politics, and it's stuff you don't agree with: gay rights, abortion rights; hell, let's throw in his work in Africa, asking for your tax dollars to bail out the continent. Do you argue with him? Try to help/make him see the other side? Let it slide, why piss off your favorite musician? What do you do?

And don't split hairs with me; you know he supports gay rights and abortion rights.

If this question pisses you off, I apologize in advance, but I'm really curious how conservative U2 fans handle this.

Old 10-16-2002, 12:25 AM   #2
War Child

one step ahead of me there martha, I was thinking the same thing!
*sits back and waits for replys

Old 10-16-2002, 12:41 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Being non-American, I am guessing that being against abortion means I am a 'conservative'.

It certainly depends on the chemistry between Bono and I on that particular night at that dinner table. If I am not feeling overwhelmed by his presence and instead feel warm and close to him, I'd be more willing to discuss the issue. And I'd go about it more in the spirit of curiosity: How will he persuade me otherwise? Does he have an interesting point of view that I haven't considered? etc

It also depends on whether his attitude gives me the impression that he has made up his mind completely; in that case, I wouldn't bother pursuing the subject cos that'd defeat the purpose of discussion.

foray
Old 10-16-2002, 03:31 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:54 AM
How would "liberal" U2 fans feel in the same situation listening to Bono's support for "W" and the war in Afghanistan and the war on terrorism?(He does, I have the HOT Press article to prove it for the skeptics here) Did it occur to you that there are "conservative" U2 fans that support gay rights, aid to Africa, and other supposedly "liberal" only positions and "liberal" U2 fans who might be against some of the "liberal" policies?

Instead of framing the situation in a liberal/conservative way, I think it would be better to ask: what if you as an individual had a difference of opinion on a particular policy issue with Bono and how would you choose to resolve that in a conversation or not? Very little is known about Bono's views on many issues and everyone here, liberal or conservative, probably would have disagreements on certain issues with him as well as things we would agree on.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:38 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:54 PM
i hate labels

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Did it occur to you that there are "conservative" U2 fans that support gay rights, aid to Africa, and other supposedly "liberal" only positions and "liberal" U2 fans who might be against some of the "liberal" policies?
Totally agree STING2.

I'd talk to Bono about anything and everything, and if we had a disagreement I'd love for him to hear my side and me to hear his.

easy as that.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:45 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Re: A question for the conservatives here

Martha,

I think that two people can have an intelligent conversation and agree to disagree on issues. Bono has proven he is capable of working with people who have a different opinion from his. I wonder if by your question, you are implying that conservatives could not handle behaving in the same manner?

Anyways, here goes.

Abortion...I am against it I would have no problems telling him that. They are legal now and just as you and others have said you are doing your part trying to prevent GW from going to war, I will be doing my part to change the legality of them. I am not saying I support what is happening outside the clinics. DO not get me wrong.

Gay rights. Why would a conservative be against them? That is an assumption on your part that a conservative would be against this topic. There are Gay republicans. There are very Conservative Christians who would be against this topic. I hate how the two have become one.

As for my tax money going to Africa, I would turn it back on you and say hasn't this administration been working with Bono on this issue? Granted many think they are not doing enough, however, it is evident that Compassionate Conservatism does exist. Does that change my belief that I think it is 100% wrong that anywhere between 1/3-1/2 of people's checks are taken from them and given to others? No. I would rather see the individual decide what charities they put their money towards. If we truly believe that people have good hearts, and that the human spirit can rise up and do the right thing, then there should be no need for anyones money to be taken from them. One thing Bono and I would have in common is that we both believe that LOVE is powerful and people will rise up to the occasion.

Peace.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:08 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
I agree, I think Bono is willing to discuss and debate any topic, as long as it is a rational discussion. It's just like in here....you are not going to get you're point across with beligerance(sp?), however a calm and rational discussion can do more to "free your mind." People are more willing to listen to a well thought out argument and consider what is said, as opposed to "well my view is right and if you disagree you can fuck off."

Personally I agree with his views on the topics Martha listed...with the exception of his idea to have sweatshops in Africa to help boost the economy. I would definately like to hear his reasoning behind it.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:16 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

i'm not sure what you mean by conservative. i consider myself liberal in most scenarios, except i'm pro-life. i'm not sure who your question is aimed at.

Old 10-16-2002, 10:43 AM   #9
The Fly

I did not know Bono was pro choice. I must admit, I am surprised. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about Bono, reading everything I can get my hands on. However, I guess perhaps I skim the political stuff since politics don't interest me at all (although I should make more of an effort). It especially surprises me considering his Christian background. I would have thought him to not support abortion, but still to accept those who have had abortions.

If I was sitting down at dinner with him and started with politics, I would try to change the course of conversation because I don't follow politics and there is nothing worse than someone spewing their views when they have no clue what they are talking about. If abortion specifically came up, I would challenge his pro choice views.

I'm disappointed that he is for abortions.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:08 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:54 PM
he is pro-choice, not pro-abortion--it's different

from Mother Jones magazine interview, May 1989

MJ: U2 doesn't seem to tackle the kind of politics that might truly trouble or alienate their fans. In the film you go on about apartheid and then ask, "Am I bugging you?" Just about everyone in the U.S. Is opposed to apartheid. Yet you never speak out on issues like abortion, Israel and the Palestinians, the death penalty, AIDS, gay rights. Let's talk about some of those. How do you feel, for instance, about abortion?

BONO: I just have my own ideas. I believe that it's a woman's right to choose. Absolutely.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:18 AM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Quote:
It especially surprises me considering his Christian background
Not to start another abortion argument, but you should be careful in your assumtions. There are a lot of Christians who believe in pro-choice.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:46 AM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Quote:
How would "liberal" U2 fans feel in the same situation listening to Bono's support for "W" and the war in Afghanistan and the war on terrorism?(He does, I have the HOT Press article to prove it for the skeptics here) Did it occur to you that there are "conservative" U2 fans that support gay rights, aid to Africa, and other supposedly "liberal" only positions and "liberal" U2 fans who might be against some of the "liberal" policies?

Instead of framing the situation in a liberal/conservative way, I think it would be better to ask: what if you as an individual had a difference of opinion on a particular policy issue with Bono and how would you choose to resolve that in a conversation or not? Very little is known about Bono's views on many issues and everyone here, liberal or conservative, probably would have disagreements on certain issues with him as well as things we would agree on.
Exactly! Let's face it, it is not a yes or no issue. Everyone has their own opinions and how it pieces together whether liberal, conservative, or mixed shouldn't matter. All that is anyway is a grouping of similarities. What we agree/disagree on should be our own. To each his own....
Old 10-16-2002, 12:01 PM   #13
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Not to start another abortion argument, but you should be careful in your assumtions. There are a lot of Christians who believe in pro-choice.
Hmmm....good point. One I neglected to ponder. I want to talk about what the Bible has to say about it, but I don't want to be preachy or start arguments.

I will simply say: you are right. I should be careful with my assumptions.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:30 PM   #14
She's the One

Notice how I am answering the question

Quote:
Yes, that occured to me, but most conservatives tend to not favor gay rights to the extent that liberals do; same with abortion rights. There are always exceptions to the rule.

To answer you question, I would like Bono to tell me how this war isn't going to piss off and radicalize a whole new generation of people willing to blow themselves up to kill me because my government bombed their homes. I would ask him that. I would. Then I'd ask him why his ear piercings are so cockeyed.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:32 PM   #15
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by UltravioletU2
I did not know Bono was pro choice. I must admit, I am surprised. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about Bono, reading everything I can get my hands on. However, I guess perhaps I skim the political stuff since politics don't interest me at all (although I should make more of an effort). It especially surprises me considering his Christian background. I would have thought him to not support abortion, but still to accept those who have had abortions.

If I was sitting down at dinner with him and started with politics, I would try to change the course of conversation because I don't follow politics and there is nothing worse than someone spewing their views when they have no clue what they are talking about. If abortion specifically came up, I would challenge his pro choice views.

I'm disappointed that he is for abortions.
Does this affect your opinions of his music? Why does it surprise you? He is usually for individuals having control over their own lives, which extends to their bodies, no matter what their gender.