A question for the conservatives here - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2002, 02:21 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Does this affect your opinions of his music? Why does it surprise you? He is usually for individuals having control over their own lives, which extends to their bodies, no matter what their gender.
You pose some very interesting questions here. I suppose in a sense Bono is a shocking person, so in one aspect nothing is surprising about him (think when he sat nude at a restaurant because a reporter was boring him [or however the story goes]!) It does not change my opinions of his MUSIC, but perhaps a small smidgen of disappointment about HIM sneaks in. Sometimes I find myself "glorifying" Bono too much because I think "look of all the good he is doing in Africa!" I also hear him praying at the Superbowl and singing Hallelujiahs at the Grammies. Then I hear how he thinks it's ok to terminate the life of an innocent human being and I am brought down out of my "Bono world" (which is probably a good thing). I guess that answers the question of why it surprises me. Bono often quotes the Bible and I guess I assumed that since he seems to believe in God and view the Bible as the Truth, then he would have seen the verses that make me believe God does not support abortion.
And yes, I know I shouldn't assume.

I hate it when people phrase abortion as "a woman has her own right to choose what happens to her body" , and apparently that's how Bono stated it. I agree with that statement alone. We are all independent people and we all have a right to choose what is done with our bodies. Some people get odd piercings, some men get vasectomies, some smoother their body with tatoos...it's OUR choice. However, when a woman is pregnant she is dealing with ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. Thus, it is not solely HER choice, it is affecting the life of another living being. Ok, I'll stop, I REALLY don't want this to turn into an argument about abortion.

Back on topic...I guess we all want our pop stars and heroes to be full of chivalry, bravery, and perfectionism. We need someone to look up to, so we look at them through rose coloured glasses. Part of making someone your hero is taking a few of their qualities and ASSUMING that because of those qualities, they have all the same morals you do.

Now I'm rambling.

Old 10-16-2002, 03:03 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Al-Quada does not exist because the USA bombed someone's home. The USA does not target the homes of civilians but rather terrorist themselves. Al-Quada exist because of a lack of education, and poverty, creating the opportunity for desperate uneducated people to be brainwashed by the evil of a strong vocal minority.

I'm not sure if Bono would say it like that, but I'm sure he would say that military force is needed to combat the terrorist organizations(as he already has said) while at the same time economic development is also a key weapon against the terrorist. Both are needed.

Old 10-16-2002, 03:35 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean
Personally I agree with his views on the topics Martha listed...with the exception of his idea to have sweatshops in Africa to help boost the economy. I would definately like to hear his reasoning behind it.
When did he say that?
Old 10-16-2002, 03:45 PM   #19
She's the One

Notice how I am staying on topic

These are the kinds of answers and discussions I was aiming for.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:50 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Notice how I am staying on topic

Quote:
These are the kinds of answers and discussions I was aiming for.
And no one mentioned the unmentionable names
Old 10-16-2002, 05:16 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:36 PM

Bono knows Im a Republican

My hope is MarthaCakes will rethink her definition of "Conservatives" after reading some of the responses here

Conservatives are people too..

DB9
Old 10-16-2002, 07:20 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I think our conversation would center on our respective walks in faith. Put things in the eternal perspective.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:29 PM   #23
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
And don't split hairs with me; you know he supports gay rights and abortion rights.
i just wanted to say really quickly that i agree with you, that i think he does support these. this may sound off the wall, but given his liberal approach on some things, and that he's supported the need for ireland to legalize contraceptives leads me to think that he'd also support gay/abortion rights.

and although i am not a conservative, i hope i'm not being considered as a troll, i just thought i'd point that out.

but i would also like to say if i were sitting with bono, and he brought up things a typical liberal person would disagree with (war on afghanistan and terrorism, etc.) as sting2 pointed out, that i'd probably just say that i valued his opinion but disagree with him, as i try to convey when i occasionally post here in fym. then change the topic to something else we both agreed on!
Old 10-16-2002, 07:45 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Khanada > he supports a woman's right to choose. See previous quote.

And again, I quote from Mother Jones, 1989:

MJ: Aren't these issues, the tougher issues, the ones that actually demand that people give something up, that actually rub people and force them to look at themselves? Don't you let yourself and your fans off awfully easy by failing to talk to them? About gay rights, say, or AIDS?

BONO: I have talked about AIDS. Did you see that in Cuba anyone with the antibody, not even the disease, is being put under quarantine for life? What interests me is that AIDS patients are being seen as the new lepers.

MJ: And aren't those attitudes, and that policy, rooted in homophobia? Isn't that an argument to speak out about gay rights?

BONO: OK. My bottom line on any sexuality is that love is the most important thing. That love is it. Any way people want to love each other is OK by me. That's different from abuse, be it homosexual or heterosexual.

And on nonviolence (although now he seems to make an exception on the Iraq thing):

On nonviolence, Bono sticks to his guns. He "understands" violent tactics against apartheid. And he "sympathizes" with the IRA's opposition to British occupation. Still, "there is no justification for killing. Nonviolence is the best way, and
ultimately the most successful."
Old 10-16-2002, 08:24 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

See I would steer the conversation into things we both aggreed on..
I would also ask him to enlighten me on a few of his views ect..
Then we would drink alot of alcohol and I would ask if he needed ME yes me to help him write any new songs w him or anything else
So there

He would leave that evening thinking to himself-"that DB9 is an intersting , mildly strange but yet intriguing cat"

Thats the deal

DB9
Old 10-16-2002, 09:07 PM   #26
New Yorker

Quote:
And on nonviolence (although now he seems to make an exception on the Iraq thing):

On nonviolence, Bono sticks to his guns. He "understands" violent tactics against apartheid. And he "sympathizes" with the IRA's opposition to British occupation. Still, "there is no justification for killing. Nonviolence is the best way, and
ultimately the most successful." [/B]
Bono has not in anyway articulated his position on the US Iraq situation. He supported military actionin Afganistan in response to September 11th. IMHO, I doubt he would support a unilateral attack on Iraq. That is the first interviewer that got him to speak about his belief in such a clear manner.

Then we'd definitely get into the alcohol to talk religion and sex also!
Old 10-16-2002, 09:41 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry Scarletwine--I meant Afghanistan.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:20 PM   #28
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Sorry Scarletwine--I meant Afghanistan.
Sorry too!
Even on Oprah he stated that since having children he understands war, but believes it to something an individual must fight against those feelings. I think the article in Hot Press was done not too long after 9/11/01. As a sometime resident of NYC, I'm sure he was stirred by the massive destruction the way non-residents are not. He and his family could have been there shopping while he politiced(?)
Old 10-17-2002, 12:06 AM   #29
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:36 AM
So have you gotten the answer to your question, martha?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:18 AM   #30
She's the One

Yes, several good ones! But I want more.