A Question For My Fellow 30+ers - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:41 AM
A Question For My Fellow 30+ers

I am 39 years old. Lately, I've really taken notice of some things that really bothers me about a growing number of "young uns". Seems to me that the line between right and wrong sure seems to be getting blurred more and more. I'm not talking about issues that the rightness/wrongness is disagreed about in society in general (ie: homosexuality, etc.), I'm talking about the basics of right and wrong - you know- theft, cheating, etc. It has shocked me and disappointed me to no end.

Let's talk about theft. Back in my day, theft was considered wrong no matter what the reason. But it now seems to me that a great number of young people think that it's okay to steal from those who they consider to be "bad guys". For instance, I had a long argument with 2 or 3 youngsters. In their view, since they have heard that Walmart treats its employees bad, it's okay to steal from then. Worse than that, an attitude seems to be "well, if a store is careless enough not to train its emloyees properly, then it's their own fault and they deserve it". But even worse than that, another attitude is that as long as its something small, it doesn't matter because it doesn't really cost the store much. Or even worse than that, the attitude: "Well, that store is owned by rich people; a little theft won't hurt them."

And cheating? Wow, just wow. Back in my day, yes there were some cheaters, but everyone knew it was wrong, and no one would dare boast about it, for fear of being caught. But that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Cheating is now a "little thing".

Do "30 somethings" and older feel like I do? Do you also see a disturbing sinking of basic moral values? Does it bug the crap out of you like it does me?

Old 08-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:41 AM
1. i understand how you feel

2. my answer in one word, no

i got a good ten years on you
and in the 70s people who worked for large retailers had the same attitude (rationalization) about stealing

i think there is more cheating in college, these days, than in the 70s

when I have more time, I give some more opinions, examples

Old 08-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:41 AM
I think every generation looks at the younger generation and thinks they're losing moral ground. My grandfather's generation looked at my mother's generation and scoffed at their miniskirts, rock music, divorce rate, etc.

I haven't run into anything like the example of shoplifting you stated. Most of the teenagers I have contact with are good kids, sure they get in trouble now and then, but it's the same thing teens have been doing since the dawn of time.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm 39, the exact same age as you, 80s. There are some things about young people today that I simply don't get, but it's not like everyone our age were paragons of moral virtue when they were teens, either. A lot of people I went to school with thought absolutely nothing of copying someone else's homework. I believe there was plenty of shoplifting back then, too.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
but it's not like everyone our age were paragons of moral virtue when they were teens, either.
Yeah, I don't think teens should ever be looked at as a moral compass. Now if they maintain these views into their 20's it would be worth mentioning.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
Local Time: 04:41 PM
Our 12-year-old son has a friend--he just turned 15-- whose sister--she's 18--stole free chicken sandwich coupons from her place of emplyment and when she got fired for it the sister thought she was the one who was wronged! (But then the poor girl has a hole in her brain from "experimenting" with the meth)...that aside, the brother, nick, had the same justification: Chick Fillet has tons of money and they made the coupons in the first place, so who cares. So I explained to him who cares and why. I find that if you have an open line of communication with them and use logical reasons explaining the wrongness of certain behaviours and provide them with the axiom: if you wouldn't like someone doing what you're thinking of doing to them done to you then don't do it. As far as cheating, kids just need to be reminded that they are only cheating themselves if they choose to do that. I understand your concern 80s, but sounds like you're doing your part by talking with these ethically challenged young uns...and that's all you can do really. I think if they taught philosophy, i.e; critical thinking in tenth grade we might see some changes in earlier development of the the ole Jimminy Cricket.
Does anyone think that all that rap has contributed to the demise in mutual respect for others?
Does anyone think that extreme capitalism and the cultural importance placed on acquiring material things has had a negative influence on developing brains?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: A Question For My Fellow 30+ers

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
"Well, that store is owned by rich people; a little theft won't hurt them."

Well I see people of all ages use this mentality. I know people 40's, 50's, 60's+ who use this mentality when filling out an insurance claim. Well I give them all this money and have never made a claim before so I'll just pad this claim.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: A Question For My Fellow 30+ers

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I am 39 years old.

Do "30 somethings" and older feel like I do? Do you also see a disturbing sinking of basic moral values? Does it bug the crap out of you like it does me?
I just hit 38 a week ago.....

I am troubled by what I see. I try and have a positive influence on the children I meet.

I am not sure I see a sinking. I see less of a middle ground.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I haven't really observed this phenomena. E.g. - the Halliburton managers overcharging the government are older folks. I think technology has allowed cheating to occur more easily - it seems as if one can buy a term paper or college essay on just about any topic online these days.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 PM
I think every generation has a tendency to criticize the morals of the one that comes after it, and it's more of a matter of changing circumstances than anything else. There was cheating when I was a student, and I wouldn't expect it to go away. I think rap has influenced our culture but there's always been a lack of mutual respect between people who are a little different.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by JCR

Does anyone think that all that rap has contributed to the demise in mutual respect for others?

There is plenty of rap that is disrespectful to certain groups. Just like in Country, Pop, and Rock. Rap is a little more blatant though than the mysogyny and violence in other forms.

What I find interesting though is that rap wasn't a threat until white people embraced it. It's very similar to when rock music started, a lot of the opposition to rock music was based on racism...
Old 08-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am not sure I see a sinking. I see less of a middle ground.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?
Sure.....

I would say that there are kids that used to fall into the middle of the road. They did not get into to much trouble and in general they were just good kids that sometimes made a poor choice.

I find children today either really good kids that know and understand right from wrong or thy know right from wrong, yet seem to make selfish choices for themselves, not thinking of others.

Maybe I am not being clear....I just think things are much more black and white.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:55 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:41 PM
I'm 35 & I don't know many teenagers these days but it has occurred to me that most of these little darlings have been raised by our peers and I think some of the blame belongs there.

Maybe this is too simple of a theory, but when folks constantly struggle to keep up with the Joneses and provide their families with every wish or want, you create vapid little leaches with no sense of responsibility or respect. It's a simple lesson: folks care about their own things - especially when they have to put in the sweat equity to attain those things. They also empathize better with others who worked hard. Parents who hand everything to their kids create members of society with no respect for how hard someone else might have worked to get their things. I mean, if replacing your wrecked car is as easy as having Daddy buy you a new one (yes - I did intend to reference a certain song ), you can't comprehend how hard it is for somebody who scrimped & saved to buy theirs.

So many people today - young & not so young - think they're entitled to the good things in life. They DESERVE them, so any means necessary to attain these things is justified.

That's my take on it, anyway. Maybe I'll start with the whole "Kids these days!..." bitching much earlier than I'd originally expected!!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:00 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:41 AM
How do you feel when boomers bag out Gen X?