A Question For My Fellow 30+ers - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2006, 07:22 AM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:58 PM
you haven't seen anything on cheating til you see my 30-something sister play monopoly.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:58 AM
I think basic moral values are sinking amongst everyone, not just people in any particular age group. Lack of manners, sense of entitlement, rudeness, rude behavior in public, bad etiquette or none at all, etc.

But I do notice that it seems far more acceptable for teens, people in their twenties to be rude and dishonest than it was when I was that age. My parents (well my mother, my father was physically there but not there in most other ways) wouldn't tolerate it in me, or from me. I learned responsibility at an early age, my mother worked and I had chores around the house after school. I think in general the parenting these days is more permissive, and kids are more spoiled. Of course every generation says that about previous generations. Most parents do the best they can and even better than that, and DO emphasize manners and all that- but some are just so busy making money and use material things as substitutes. The behavior of kids and teens in public does actually shock me sometimes. Rudeness and lack of manners, and a general sense that they know it all. You might even see that around Interference, then again you can see that here in older people too. Of course for some people the internet/message boards are an excuse to be rude, and they seem to be on it just for that purpose.

Where do teens learn that cheating is acceptable? From adults, and their parents? In some cases, yes. It's a general societal ill to justify anything and everything in order to get what you want. If you could drive around in morals and live in morals that would impress your neighbors and friends and family, morals would be prized. I am far more impressed by someone with high moral standards and good and pleasant people than I am by someone who doesn't have those qualities, but has "impressive" things. Not to say I don't like nice things, but it's hardly a be all and end all for me. Without what's really important, all that really does mean nothing.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:52 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:58 AM
When a society allows people to be honored for who they are instead of what they do and does not hold them accountable for what they do because of who they are--when a society values privilege over performance, nepotism over ability, the fawner over the producer, the lowest common denominator over the challenging, the quick result or quick fixing of the bottom line over longterm planning, you trade in excellence for mediocrity.

I think we are becoming a very mediocre society. (I speak of the US here, because that is my only point of personal knowledge reference).
Old 08-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 08:58 AM
You will find immoral, rude, lazy, and ignorant people in all generations, but it seems to my own Gen-X eyes, that it is more forgivable for the younger generation to act this way than in generations past. There were consequences for bad behavior, now, not so much.

I can remember reading an article in a business magazine about the younger generation coming into the workplace and how they have difficulty with paying their dues and dealing with constructive criticism. The whole gist of the article was that the workplace should adapt and coddle these over-grown, spoiled workers rather than expecting them to deal with reality and grow the fuck up. I was really pissed off by this article, and after dealing with some younger workers, I don't think my Gen-X ass will ever be able to retire. Someone has to write something with more substance than a text message.

If I offended any younger folks on this board, I am sorry. I really like you guys and enjoy your posts. But my Blue Crack life is far different than my real life. I'm just letting off some steam
Old 08-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
you haven't seen anything on cheating til you see my 30-something sister play monopoly.

My 30-ish brother-in-law, too. He's so brutal, his wife will only play Monopoly ONCE A YEAR with him, on his birthday!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #21
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BluRmGrl
[B]I'm 35 & I don't know many teenagers these days but it has occurred to me that most of these little darlings have been raised by our peers and I think some of the blame belongs there.

Yep! And when those little darlings turn 18 they begin to self-reflect and decide to blame you for all of their poor choices...but after a couple of years, lots of talks a few arguments and tears and apologies they come to the realization that they are responsible for their own decisions in life. If you've given love and truly did your best it all works out.

So many people today - young & not so young - think they're entitled to the good things in life. They DESERVE them, so any means necessary to attain these things is justified.

The comtemporary cultural analysts actually call them the Entitlement Generation. Capitalism will beat some sense into them....won't it?....

Hey A_Wanderer, I wonder: do the Bonobos engage in Gen bashing?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl
I'm 35 & I don't know many teenagers these days but it has occurred to me that most of these little darlings have been raised by our peers and I think some of the blame belongs there.

Maybe this is too simple of a theory, but when folks constantly struggle to keep up with the Joneses and provide their families with every wish or want, you create vapid little leaches with no sense of responsibility or respect. It's a simple lesson: folks care about their own things - especially when they have to put in the sweat equity to attain those things. They also empathize better with others who worked hard. Parents who hand everything to their kids create members of society with no respect for how hard someone else might have worked to get their things. I mean, if replacing your wrecked car is as easy as having Daddy buy you a new one (yes - I did intend to reference a certain song ), you can't comprehend how hard it is for somebody who scrimped & saved to buy theirs.

So many people today - young & not so young - think they're entitled to the good things in life. They DESERVE them, so any means necessary to attain these things is justified.

That's my take on it, anyway. Maybe I'll start with the whole "Kids these days!..." bitching much earlier than I'd originally expected!!
I couldn't agree with you more (I'm 42 btw).
I wanted to start a thread about "kids these days" recently, but couldn't find the time nor wording.

My niece just turned 16, and she's all ready to get her learner's permit. She was semi-bragging that's she's driven a couple of times already with friends, and going fast. And she wants the new 2007 Saturn Convertible car (in silver). Unbelievable. I told her maybe she should get a job - and she said she was just too lazy. Told her to get a bus pass then, and she "LOL-ed" that I was being mean. But really, just cuz you turn 16 you think you are entitled to a brand new car, one that you are likely to get into an accident in due to your driving inexperience? I know I had a few when I was younger, and no, I never got a new car when I turned 16. I was handed down my sister's old Datsun (that she bought on her own) that needed a clutch. I think Mom & Dad paid for the insurance or gas or some portion of it (I had a job). When the clutch died, and it wasn't feasible to put more money into it, I then got a new cheap Toyota ($7200 new in '82). I was 18 & attending jr. college, and needed wheels. I think grandma loaned Mom & Dad the money... Not sure what that arrangement was.

And yes, I'm tired of seeing teenagers (or anyone) who thinks they are "entitled" to anything. And keeping up with the Jones' makes me furious, especially with the families that I know of who are struggling to pay their bills yet try & get everything for their kid, either out of their want of the material items or their guilt. Whatever... I don't want to instill those values into my daughter (who is 12).

And speaking of manners... I have luckily instilled in my daughter the need to write 'thank you' cards anytime she has received a gift. Most of her friends just don't do that. And what bugs me as well sometimes is that when we've sent nieces/nephews gifts, we are "lucky" if we get an email or IM "thank you". Not even a conversation - just a "Thanks"

And I don't believe stealing is right, for anyone. There's no rationalizing it, is there?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:33 AM   #23
The Fly

My nieces and nephews are the laziest do nothings i ever knew!On my days off I ask if they want to go to the beach or to the city and all they say is "for what?"Can you imagine?All they do is talk on the phone,watch T.V,sit at the computer or play video games.
I had MTV when I was 15 too,I still went outside and did something.God forbid you ask for help wiyh the yard!What are they going to do???
Old 08-14-2006, 08:26 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:58 AM
I agree with the basic premise presented. Even though “moral decay” is occurring at all ages, it seems that with each successive generation the moral fiber of society is loosened. An entire generation has redefined “theft” (just look at the volume of downloads), redefined “sex” (vaginal intercourse only, the rest doesn’t count), etc. etc.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Young children of Today!!!

Well, I can't really comment, because I'm only 25 you see (and have been for the last 10 + years)
Old 08-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:58 AM
seeing as how i'm 28, you all shuld know thati cheat, lie, steal, have sex, and do terrible things just because it feels good.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
seeing as how i'm 28, you all shuld know thati cheat, lie, steal, have sex, and do terrible things just because it feels good.
Malachi 4
The Day of the LORD
1 "Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and that day that is coming will set them on fire," says the LORD Almighty. "Not a root or a branch will be left to them.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:58 AM
How quickly we forget. Have we forgotten the morals that have improved over the last few generations? Our parents grew up with segregation, it was moral to keep women out of the workplace, and racial slurs were all part of the "moral" language...
Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
in that order?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
How quickly we forget. Have we forgotten the morals that have improved over the last few generations? Our parents grew up with segregation, it was moral to keep women out of the workplace, and racial slurs were all part of the "moral" language...
Good point, BVS... each generation tends to define its own morals to some degree. The general sense of entitlement that I see in many teens/young adults now (note: I said 'many', not 'all' or even 'most') is still infuriating.

If I'm angry and 35 does that make me a grumpy old bitty?