A question for liberals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran against gay marriage, for starters.

Also, quite a few FYMers refer to social conservatives with the same stances as Kerry as "perverts" and "bigots."

Macfistowannabe said:
Ran against gay marriage, for starters.

Also, quite a few FYMers refer to social conservatives with the same stances as Kerry as "perverts" and "bigots."

(seeks example of how he's a pervert)

Actually, the way he pushed aside gay rights like he did was reason enough why he deserved to lose. I hope the Democratic Party learned its lesson.

Melon

I was the one who posted that "religious minded folk" who are oh so interested in other people's sex lives are perverts.

So there's that definition for ya Melon. :)

indra said:
I was the one who posted that "religious minded folk" who are oh so interested in other people's sex lives are perverts.

Oh. Then by that definition, John Kerry is a bigoted pervert. And so is probably 75% of America. It's quite annoying, to say the least.

Melon

melon said:

Oh. Then by that definition, John Kerry is a bigoted pervert. And so is probably 75% of America. It's quite annoying, to say the least.

Melon

I know my state is full of them (pervs). :rolleyes:

indra said:

Thanks, Indra. I was hoping I wouldn't have to look for it myself.

what's a liberal?

you toss it around so easily and so effortlessly, i assume you have a very specific definition in mind. please, share it with us.

Irvine511 said:
what's a liberal?
Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

The standard definition:

a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
c. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
d. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

The Fox News definition:

a. all those fags you see in pink leather tutus parading down the street in San Francisco
b. all those anti-God atheists you see trying to take God out of Christmas.
c. those responsible for 9/11, the price of gas, teenage pregnancy, abortion, Nambla, insecure borders, Terry Shiavo, Michael Jackson, Ludacris, the Tsunami, Spongebob Squarepants, and reality television.

LPU2 said:
The Fox News definition:

a. all those fags you see in pink leather tutus parading down the street in San Francisco
b. all those anti-God atheists you see trying to take God out of Christmas.
c. those responsible for 9/11, the price of gas, teenage pregnancy, abortion, Nambla, insecure borders, Terry Shiavo, Michael Jackson, Ludacris, the Tsunami, Spongebob Squarepants, and reality television.
Was that really necessary?

LPU2 said:
The standard definition:

a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

Is this the self-serving definition or the anti-"conservative" definition?

No, actually it wasn't necessary. I'm sure most Americans know by now what Fox News is all about. Nevertheless, I do find it interesting to compare and contrast the definition of "liberalism" with the perception of it.

nbcrusader said:

Is this the self-serving definition or the anti-"conservative" definition?

You tell me.

It's straight from dictionary.com. But, y'know, with the parts that Macfist didn't want to include.

I think Irvine asked a very valid question. I think Mac you didn't really answer honestly. This question was obviously made to bait, and I've seen your generalizations and stereotyping of liberals over the years in here. So to see your definition of liberal would help in making this thread into something.

Again: I don't care. Back on topic.

The question for conservatives thread is on the ball, and those with liberal politics know who they are as well, and many of you wear it proudly.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:rolleyes: whatever.

yes.

seems like this thread answered it's own question.

if Mac can't even define the terms of the leading, baiting question he means to pose -- complete with a line of thinking he's planning to employ to lead us to a predetermined conclusion -- then it doesn't seem as if it's even worth participating in.

What is a liberal? Inquiring minds want to know. Liberals are *not* people without morals. I'm a liberal and a practicing Catholic. I consider myself a liberal because I believe in government intervention in the laissez-faire capitalism to remedy the problems that come from pure laissez-faire economics.

Irvine511 said:
if Mac can't even define the terms of the leading, baiting question he means to pose -- complete with a line of thinking he's planning to employ to lead us to a predetermined conclusion -- then it doesn't seem as if it's even worth participating in.
The intention was not to define "liberal", but since you insist, I would say:

Self-defined "progressives", social libertarians, financial populists. I think that's clear enough.

The "free from bigotry" is not what I buy. John Kerry is the example, and the thread is to discuss whether he qualifies under liberal definition as a "bigot," since after all, many of you might refer to Bush in the same way, even though their stance on homosexuality is nearly identical. For civil unions, against gay marriage.

Macfistowannabe said:
The intention was not to define "liberal", but since you insist, I would say:

Self-defined "progressives", social libertarians, financial populists. I think that's clear enough.

The "free from bigotry" is not what I buy. John Kerry is the example, and the thread is to discuss whether he qualifies under liberal definition as a "bigot," since after all, many of you might refer to Bush in the same way, even though their stance on homosexuality is nearly identical. For civil unions, against gay marriage.

John Kerry didn't wield bigotry as a political tool to rally the bigoted base of his party the way Bush did. is Bush a bigot on a personal level, probably not -- remember, this is a man who thinks jokes about him giving hand jobs to horses is funny. as a politician, yes, absolutely.

and Republicans have done this for years, they've marshalled hate to get votes (see Nixon and the "southern strategy").

you still haven't defined what a liberal is. and your above definiton is really flawed. many social libertarians would call themselves conservatives and vote republican (fools ... the current GOP is currently constructing a Christian nanny state and bankrupting us all in the process). a progressive is probably different from a liberal ... and what about classical liberals?

the reason i pounced on your use of the word is because i don't think anyone has a clue as to what it really means, and it is used as a word to broadbrush ANYONE who doesn't march in lockstep with the current republican platform. there's such horrible groupthink ... liberals think this, liberals do that ... just look at your comments regarding abortion, and everything that you assume "liberals" believe and you'll see that the word, as you've come to use it, exists only as a McCarthyite political tool and has no attachment to reality.

So, the question is: is John Kerry a bigot? I'm going to say no. To me a bigot is someone who comes out with irrational, intense hatred of a certain group. He should have been more decisive about the gay marriage issue in the campaign. The word "bigot" can be used in different ways. Voltaire was called a "bigot" by people in eighteenth century France because he believed in God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom