A question for liberals - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:49 AM
If I may ramble on, I'd like to drag my example of the Unitarian church.

Let's say I just so happen to go there, and meet someone who believes that Voodoo and Witchcraft will get him into heaven. I wouldn't necessarily be open to that possibility, and the voodooist (sp?) would not likely be open to the possibility that without the belief in Jesus, his way of life is useless.

In conclusion, neither of us are truly open-minded, and willing to accept that we could be wrong.

Old 05-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #62
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
If I may ramble on, I'd like to drag my example of the Unitarian church.

Let's say I just so happen to go there, and meet someone who believes that Voodoo and Witchcraft will get him into heaven. I wouldn't necessarily be open to that possibility, and the voodooist (sp?) would not likely be open to the possibility that without the belief in Jesus, his way of life is useless.

In conclusion, neither of us are truly open-minded, and willing to accept that we could be wrong.
So if you have an opinion you can't be open minded? Don't buy it.

Let's go with your example. Ok now there are those that think THIS way is the only way to heaven. But there are those that believe this is the way I'm getting to heaven but you may get there another way, like me.

But just because I've found my path doesn't mean I'm not open minded.

By your definition to be open minded you would have to change your mind with every suggestion you are given. I think you're missing the point.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #63
The Fly

Local Time: 01:49 PM
I'm not sure if you are interpreting what he is trying to say.(maybe I'm not either) If you have an opinion that doesn't neccesarily mean doesn't mean your not open minded to something else, it means you are more inclined to follow and defend your predeposed position. For example if I say I like to down load U2 in lossless formats. You give me 15 valid reasons why MP3s are the way to go. Mp3s may be the best thing since sliced bread but I am more inclinded to go lossless. Because of my pre-decided position I dismiss your argument. This argument can go for a very many things, including the liberal/conservative debate. All in all I think that his orginal point in that nobody is truly open minded, unless they have no real personal conviction on an issue. Otherwise you are always going to lean one way or the other.

Just on second point I think most people dont change thier minds until they are presented with information about a subject that was unknown to them before. You reevaluate your stance and consider the new info, change your position or hold it. Its just human nature
Old 05-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #64
The Fly

or Im a blithering Idiot, that could be to....hehe
Old 05-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by madroseka
All in all I think that his orginal point in that nobody is truly open minded, unless they have no real personal conviction on an issue. Otherwise you are always going to lean one way or the other.
I get that but I don't buy it. You can have conviction and still be open to other ideas as long as you realize you are human and can be wrong.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:49 AM
If I'm going to be accused of being intolerant of bigots, then hey...I'm guilty as charged.

Melon
Old 05-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #67
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I get that but I don't buy it. You can have conviction and still be open to other ideas as long as you realize you are human and can be wrong.

Thats true, but you also have to admit that being human your going to tend to favor issues that are in line with you beliefs. Your point is taken though.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by madroseka

Thats true, but you also have to admit that being human your going to tend to favor issues that are in line with you beliefs. Your point is taken though.
Very true. I can't claim to be open minded 100% of the time, but I do believe that true open mindedness exists.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think it can exist, but only up to the point where one is willing to admit they may be at fault. Anything after that without universal certainty is likely to be a leap of faith or a jump to conclusions.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #70
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I think it can exist, but only up to the point where one is willing to admit they may be at fault. Anything after that without universal certainty is likely to be a leap of faith or a jump to conclusions.
Well I'm human so of course I will be wrong from time to time. That's how I've always looked at life.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #71
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Fwiw, due to the flame war that resulted, I'm closing this thread.

The closing has nothing to do with the thread's original author or authorial intent--let me be very clear.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:00 AM   #72
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Spokane Mayor Jim West. Now here's an interesting one.

Very outspoken against homosexuals, yet you find out he's gay.

You've got to hand it to the Republicans, they stick together and don't question a thing. Even if it means hating yourself or in the case of the Baptist Minister in the other thread turning your back on God.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Spokane Mayor Jim West. Now here's an interesting one.

Very outspoken against homosexuals, yet you find out he's gay.

You've got to hand it to the Republicans, they stick together and don't question a thing. Even if it means hating yourself or in the case of the Baptist Minister in the other thread turning your back on God.

I'm not surprised. This is going to happen a bunch.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:38 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:49 AM

Quote:
I'd like you to explain that one.
Because if you are set in your ways and steadfast in your opinion an no one can waver it, then your mind is alread CLOSED on that subject. I don't think there's a person here who doesn't fit that description. No matter what side you're on, if your mind is made up on something and it's not ever changing, that's the way it is!

I have a couple of problems with the term myself, as I do with most liberal terminology. First, it's just a catch phrase used by liberals to make everyone feel that if they don't support their positions, they are stupid, backward, lacking, or wrong. If you don't want to be CLOSED MINDED, you'll believe like they do! So it's more of a way to say their positions on the issues are superior than actual closed mindedness.

Think about this: what is open mindedness? You may say, open to new ideas, not shutting the door on possibilities. Yet, everyone here, on both sides, has already made up their minds where they stand on issues, stick to that, fight over it, and refuse to let anyone else's post change their mind one iota. So how "open" is that, really? Sounds closed to me! So again, I think it's the thing where certain positions are supposed to be accepted as 'open minded' rather than actually having an open mind, and that's wrong. Think about this too: if your mind were truly 'open', you'd have no convictions, no values, no mind of your own, really, because if your mind is always changing, what do your really stand for? But of course no one goes around changing their mind back and forth all the time (well, except Kerry and Clinton, but they didn't mean it, they were only being political butt kissers) Who wants to be a wishy washy back and forth spineless, mindless blob anyway? Isn't it better to know you stand for something, and be proud of it?

So- if your mind is made up and it's not changing, no matter what anyone says, if you'd rather lecture someone on the virtues of your position instead of being swayed to theirs, then your mind is closed. I don't see a damn thing wrong with that. My mind is 'open' if I don't have enough info on a subject, if I need to listen to all sides, if I need to research it to see where I stand. I have done this with everything I comment on here (and if you notice, there are many threads I don't post in because I can't do that and won't) but once I have come to a conclusion, that's it, nobody is going to change me. And aren't you ALL like that??!!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:47 AM   #75
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Well like I've said many times in here, I've changed my stance on a few issues over the span of the few years I've been coming to FYM. And my views on many things have changed over the last 10 years of my life outside of interference.

So needless to say I find your view very narrow.