A question for conservatives... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2005, 03:43 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:46 PM
A question for conservatives...

Please help me out here...

What would you do?

Let’s suppose you were in a situation where you agreed to meet up with your older brother’s friend -- a guy you rarely ever see -- for a beer.

Let’s further suppose that you were watching the Chargers-Jets game at the pub.

Let’s now suppose that your older bros. friend at one point during the football game says the following: “I’m not prejudice or racist or anything, but don’t some of those guys on the sideline look like monkeys? I mean, look at that guy” (African-American football player is on screen).

What would you do?

Call him on it right then and there?

Call him on it later, after you’ve enjoyed a few beers together? (After all, you hardly ever see the guy... and he's practically family).

Tell him he does a good impression of “Triumph, the Insult Dog?”

What the hell would you do?

All I know is, I lost yet another piece of my soul tonight.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:09 AM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Hey Pub, blame my ignorance, but why the conservatives?

Old 01-09-2005, 05:49 AM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:46 AM
call him on it right away!!!!

it depends how he said it...... but it is already bad to even dare saying it.....

what did you do?
Old 01-09-2005, 06:14 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Yeah, why is this a question for just conservatives? As a liberal I think I would just laugh at the guy. "I'm not prejudice or racist or anything..." What an epic cliche. :-)

No, calling him on it would be a mistake. It's not like you could enter into a debate and suddenly change his views. Besides, what he said isn't, in and of itself, racist; it's just mean spirited. And he could be one of those neo-racists who've been enboldened by the modern conservative movement in this country, just looking for every opportunity to bait people into a debate between racism and political correctness. God, I can hear his arguments already.

Laugh and let it go. Debating mean-spirited ignorance is impossible. It's not like arguing about tax policy, for example.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 AM
This liberal will get in on the act. I wouldn't say anything. I'd be horrified that I was around someone with views like that. I'd be tempted to ask him how his latest Klan rally went but nah, that's too graphic and confrontational.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Are you sure he meant it that way? I have also known white people who looked like monkeys and got joked on and called monkey or ape, even getting nicknames like "Apeman" and "Monkey Boy." If he did mean it that way, it was awful.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
War Child

Re: A question for conservatives...

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
Please help me out here...

What would you do?

Let’s suppose you were in a situation where you agreed to meet up with your older brother’s friend -- a guy you rarely ever see -- for a beer.

Let’s further suppose that you were watching the Chargers-Jets game at the pub.

Let’s now suppose that your older bros. friend at one point during the football game says the following: “I’m not prejudice or racist or anything, but don’t some of those guys on the sideline look like monkeys? I mean, look at that guy” (African-American football player is on screen).

What would you do?

Call him on it right then and there?

Call him on it later, after you’ve enjoyed a few beers together? (After all, you hardly ever see the guy... and he's practically family).

Tell him he does a good impression of “Triumph, the Insult Dog?”

What the hell would you do?

All I know is, I lost yet another piece of my soul tonight.
First off, calling on only conservatives makes me wonder if you're not as biased or predjucided as this other person ?

Secondly, how much have they had to drink ?

You do NOT call him on it there and then unless you want to risk starting a public brawl (assuming he has had some amount of alcohol)

Deal with it later, bringing it up at that moment will likely get him pissed off more as he wants to watch the game.

Finally, Coach of the year or not, Schottenheimer sucks, and has ALWAYS sucked in the playoffs. The Chargers won't win it all with him at the helm. Typical Marty.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Why is the directed at conservatives?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Are you sure he meant it that way? I have also known white people who looked like monkeys and got joked on and called monkey or ape, even getting nicknames like "Apeman" and "Monkey Boy." If he did mean it that way, it was awful.
I don't think he would have started it with the "I'm not racist but..."

9 times out of 10 then when someone starts a comment like that their a racist.

I would have called him out right then and there, but that's just me.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Yeah, I'd like to know why this is only a "conservative" question to. There are people who have some liberal tendencies but who are also shockingly racist, just as a lot of "old-school" conservatives are conservative about money and government but liberal on social issues.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:27 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:46 PM
you know nothing good is going to come out of a scenario with someone saying 'i'm not racist or anything...'

i've found myself in this same situation more times than i can count. i've tried reacting and pointing out the ignorance in offensive comments, and i've also tried just ignoring them... i've learned that people who say ignorant things do not like being called on them, and then they usually proceed to ridicule me for being so pious and "politically correct," and tell me that i need to loosen up.

it may not be the best thing, but most of the time, it's just easier to ignore the comments and try to steer the conversation in a more civilized direction.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
Acrobat

I think it's a mistake to just assume conservative=racist. As a matter of fact, there would be no civil rights legislation if it were not for conservative Republicans. I can also think of many people throughout history who were "liberal" yet racist. One's views on the role of government does not necessarily overlap with views on race. For example, Pres. Wilson, a progressive Ddemocrat was quite a racist, a good example being his allowing of the segregation of Washington, D.C. In the 1920s and 30s, Sen. Bilbo from Mississippi was very liberal about government and economy but was a virulent racist. The way some people think nowadays, it appears that conservatives might as well wear hoods and burn crosses. If that is the case, I guess conservatives have been somehow fooled by the likes of D'nesh D'Souza, Clarence Thomas, Alan Keyes, Bobby Jindal, etc., etc.

Back to the story of monkeys, apes... One must be careful in areas like this. I read in a sociology class about a government official who introduced another gov. official as his 800 pound gorilla, a phrase used to mean enforcer. It was taken as a racist comment and the white gov. official had to apologize. A prof. I was a TA for called Dred Scott the ugliest man ever and was nearly fired because of a complaint. People ignored that he had simultaneously called Chief Justice Roger Taney the second ugliest. Anyway, just be careful about what you say and where.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I would've called him on it. I do all the time, unfortunately I know a great deal of racists who don't realize that they are.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 PM
One way to show love to another is to point out harmful behavior and help them through it.

Ask him to repeat what he said, and call him on it.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
I can also think of many people throughout history who were "liberal" yet racist. One's views on the role of government does not necessarily overlap with views on race. For example, Pres. Wilson, a progressive Ddemocrat was quite a racist, a good example being his allowing of the segregation of Washington, D.C. In the 1920s and 30s, Sen. Bilbo from Mississippi was very liberal about government and economy but was a virulent racist.
I have always practically considered Sen. Bilbo Satan incarnate because of his race-baiting in his election campaigns. Never mind that he was a populist, he was a truly horrid racist, and there's no way around that diabolical position. It's dead wrong. He was screwing over *everyone* in Mississippi and for that matter America as a whole. I don't give a damn about other positions, the very notion of racism is so abhorrent to me that I think anyone who embraced it was evil.