A question for conservatives... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 08:00 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:31 PM

I guess it all depends on the type of racism you want to see or acknowledge.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:34 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:31 AM
I do not consider racists real "conservatives". A conservative, to me, is someone who either wants limited government or has a certain approach to moral standards or has certain views about intervention in other countries. If someone is racist, that's something else. I use a word we're not allowed to use in FYM.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No where in any of my posts did I say he was a racist. I said more than likely he is and that his comments are very telling. Not the same as calling someone a racists.

yes, good point. one problem i see on this forum -- due to the nature of internet postings -- is that people take the challenging of a belief to be an indictment of a whole person. i've had people yell and scream at me for calling them a homophobe, when the reality is that i've labled a belief homophobic. race is similar. you might hold a racist belief, but to actually be a racist you'd have to be aware of your beliefs, and really not care much.

as for conservatives and racism, i think most liberals would be shocked and appaled if you were to call them or label a belief espoused by a liberal "racist." Racism, as all liberals have agreed, is A Bad Thing. however, this does not mean that a liberal can't be racist, in fact many liberals are quite condescending in their attitudes towards Traditionally Marginalized Groups (i'm a member of one such group, and i slightly resent well-meaning but patronizing comments ... "i just love gay people!").
Old 01-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I guess it all depends on the type of racism you want to see or acknowledge.
NBC is dead on. This would mean that you are probably ignoring any non-whites that make anti-white comments. It could probably also mean that you don't think Black Panthers are the least bit racist.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:40 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
NBC is dead on. This would mean that you are probably ignoring any non-whites that make anti-white comments. It could probably also mean that you don't think Black Panthers are the least bit racist.
thanks for the wake up call

Us whites better stick together.

We have a history of being disenfranchised, lynched and denied pubic accommodations.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Deep, any racism whether it is anti-black, anti-jew, anti-hispanic, anti-asian, etc, and anti-white is unappreciated in my book. Claiming that conservatives are the only racists out there is a sign that some people are picking and choosing, then making excuses when they are caught with their pants down. I'm not saying that whites have been through oppression or any of that crap, I'm saying that we should recognize ALL racism, and any racism that exists is uncalled for. Period.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #52
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Deep, any racism whether it is anti-black, anti-jew, anti-hispanic, anti-asian, etc, and anti-white is unappreciated in my book.
As it should be. But you neglected to address deep's point, i.e., he alluded to the issues of segregation, racial injustice toward African-Americans and socio-economic disparity.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Okay, but I was not exactly going to counterpoint his addressed points about segregation and racial injustice. I think we often forget about other groups who have historically suffered past discrimination from us, such as the Chinese. It kind of gets me when it's completely focused on blacks instead of including other minorities. Please, let's not just focus on the minority's majority.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #54
New Yorker

I initiated this thread because of a racist comment a friend of mine made about African-Americans. When referring to a group of African-Americans on the tv screen, he said, "Don't some of these guys look like monkeys?" I was appalled.

Is my friend a racist? Not as far as I know. But did he make a racist comment. Yes.

You mentioned "anti-white" racism. And you mentioned the Black Panthers (do they even exist any more?).

How much anti-white racism is there in the U.S. as compared to "anti-black" racism? A little? A lot?

*edited for typo
Old 01-11-2005, 12:37 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
I initiated this thread because of a racist comment a friend of mine made about African-Americans. When referring to a group of African-Americans on the tv screen, he said, "Don't some of these guys look like monkeys?" I was appalled.

Is my friend a racist? Not as far as I know. But did he make a racist comment. Yes.

You mentioned "anti-white" racism. And you mentioned the Black Panthers (do they even exist any more?).

How much anti-white racism is there in the U.S. as compared to "anti-black" racism? A little? A lot?
I would hope that you had a talk with your friend about this matter, and I hope it went well. I understand your reasons for starting this thread, but when someone claims that the only racists he knows are conservatives, I will fire questions without hesitation. I chose to bring up the Black Panthers because it's almost a guarantee that the KKK will be brought up in a thread about racism, and so will past mistreatments on blacks. Whether the Black Panthers are still around is beyond me, but they are in the past, just like racial discrimination was. There is an official site for them, and if you are serious about seeing it for yourself, here is the link: http://www.blackpanther.org/. Currently, I would assume that there is quite a bit more anti-black racism than anti-white, but both forms should be considered, as well as any group that is being discriminated against. You don't have to be white to be a poor sport. All forms of racism should be recognized.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:52 AM   #56
New Yorker

Quote:

I understand your reasons for starting this thread, but when someone claims that the only racists he knows are conservatives, I will fire questions without hesitation.
I never claimed that the ONLY racists I know are conservatives. I wrote exactly the following:

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
Is racism equally characteristic among liberals and conservatives? Perhaps. I really don't know.

One thing I do know is that I would never hear anything like the "monkey" comment from my more liberal circle of friends.
Amongst my conservative friends, racial jokes and comments are very rare, but among these conservative friends and acquaintances of mine it seems as though whenever a racial joke or comment is made, it is said with a "wink" that everyone understands and which makes said jokes and comments fair play and fair game for laughter. Hence, why I directed my question at conservatives.
In fact, I never claimed to know any racists at all.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:59 AM   #57
New Yorker

Quote:

I chose to bring up the Black Panthers because it's almost a guarantee that the KKK will be brought up in a thread about racism, and so will past mistreatments on blacks. ... Currently, I would assume that there is quite a bit more anti-black racism than anti-white, but both forms should be considered, as well as any group that is being discriminated against. You don't have to be white to be a poor sport. All forms of racism should be recognized.
I read you as having a "tit for tat" argument with respect to racism. I think you've effectively precluded any chance for productive debate in connection with this issue because your simple response seems to be: "Everybody is racist toward everybody else, so please don't tell me African-Americans have it any worse than anyone else."
Old 01-11-2005, 04:24 AM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

thanks for the wake up call

Us whites better stick together.

We have a history of being disenfranchised, lynched and denied pubic accommodations.
Dr. King's message of "only love can drive out hate," must have been wrong. I guess it's ok to be a racist if you feel any of the above applies.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:14 AM   #59
War Child

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Quote:
Re-read my post. I said every racist that I've met and I know is conservative. I don't know any Black Panthers, and the one Asian friend of mine who's father is racist, is a conservative.

Quote:
I understand your reasons for starting this thread, but when someone claims that the only racists he knows are conservatives, I will fire questions without hesitation.
By the way I'm a she.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:23 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:31 AM
There is racism all over. I once went to a demonstration protesting racism. It turned out that the group that put on the thing was a "black nationalist" outfit, and all of the whites in the demonstration had to stay behind some huge banner. It was the most insane thing I've ever been involved in. These people were involved in *promoting* biases, not in solving them. So it's not fair to equate racism with conservativism. It doesn't work that way.