A question for conservatives... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Which team looks like monkeys? Would it be the Chargers of the Jets?
Oh knock it off.

The poster said that his friend was talking about "some of the players on the sidelines," not the entire team.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #32
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

If it was a single, isolated dumb comment, I don't think it's fair to label him as a racist.
I'm not labeling him as a racist. However, I was VERY troubled by the comment he made.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #33
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

I'm not labeling him as a racist. However, I was VERY troubled by the comment he made.

Don't worry, I wasn't talking about you. Some of the others who read your post were quick to label him a racist-- that's who I was addressing.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Oh knock it off.

The poster said that his friend was talking about "some of the players on the sidelines," not the entire team.
Ok but which team has several monkey looking individuals on their team?
Old 01-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #35
Refugee

Quote:

Ok but which team has several monkey looking individuals on their team?
No idea. Wasn't there, didn't see the guys on T.V. this person was talking about. Did YOU?

Sorry, I'm just willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have no tolerance for racists, but saying something dumb doesn't warrant being labeled a racist in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:36 AM
It's especially hard when that someone making remarks like that, or using the "n" word everytime an African American shows up on tv, or wherever, is your mom's longtime boyfriend, who you like OK, except for this major flaw.

I guess my mom is going along the same lines as you maybe be, letting this one (major, IMO) thing go because he's such a good guy in other ways. Personally, I have to leave the room when he starts in on crap like that, but if she can live with it, fine.

I have no real advice to offer, but I know how you feel.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #37
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
It's especially hard when that someone making remarks like that, or using the "n" word everytime an African American shows up on tv, or wherever, is your mom's longtime boyfriend, who you like OK, except for this major flaw.

I guess my mom is going along the same lines as you maybe be, letting this one (major, IMO) thing go because he's such a good guy in other ways. Personally, I have to leave the room when he starts in on crap like that, but if she can live with it, fine.

I have no real advice to offer, but I know how you feel.
Thanks, LMPA.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No idea. Wasn't there, didn't see the guys on T.V. this person was talking about. Did YOU?

Sorry, I'm just willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have no tolerance for racists, but saying something dumb doesn't warrant being labeled a racist in my opinion.
Yeah I watched the game (great game) but didn't see the monkey looking group on the sidelines.

As quickly as people will label some as racist there are also those that will blow it off or justify such comments just as quickly. Not saying that is what you are doing
Old 01-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Well, I'm not a conservative, but if you're interested in what I would do, here it is.

When he made his comment, I would have asked him "what did you say?" and if he repeated it and did NOT explain it in a way in which it was clear he had not meant it in a racist manner, I would have gotten up, said goodbye, and left. I'm far too old to put up with that kind of crap. I may not be able to change him, but I don't need to be friendly with people who think that is fine.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #40
Refugee

Quote:

Yeah I watched the game (great game) but didn't see the monkey looking group on the sidelines.

As quickly as people will label some as racist there are also those that will blow it off or justify such comments just as quickly. Not saying that is what you are doing
I say I give the guy the benefit of the doubt because I don't know him or what kind of person he is. I'm not justifying jack or shit. As I've already said: I think racism is aweful, absolutely aweful. But in this case I haven't seen enough information on this guy to go label him as a racist as you obviously do. I'm merely saying that pubcrawler should take into account what he knows about this person to decide what he meant by the comment.

Wow, anything that doesn't fit into that nice little p.c. world of yours and you're off labeling someone that you don't know after reading about 1 stupid comment they made. Very sad...
Old 01-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:36 AM
I would probably look at the guy like this and ask him why he would say that. I'd be tempted never to spend any more time with this guy.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I say I give the guy the benefit of the doubt because I don't know him or what kind of person he is. I'm not justifying jack or shit. As I've already said: I think racism is aweful, absolutely aweful. But in this case I haven't seen enough information on this guy to go label him as a racist as you obviously do. I'm merely saying that pubcrawler should take into account what he knows about this person to decide what he meant by the comment.
No where in any of my posts did I say he was a racist. I said more than likely he is and that his comments are very telling. Not the same as calling someone a racists.
Quote:

Wow, anything that doesn't fit into that nice little p.c. world of yours and you're off labeling someone that you don't know after reading about 1 stupid comment they made. Very sad...
You don't know me yet you had no problem labeling me.

I was just trying to make the point that it does go both ways. You said there are those that are too quick to call people racists and I was trying to make the argument that some people are too quick to let comments like this go and write off those that are bothered by them as being too PC or sensitive.

I've never seen a group of humans that look like monkeys. I certainly didn't see them last night. I find the comment pretty offensive and it has nothing to do with being PC.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:39 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Not all conservatives are racist, obviously

I would assume that African Americans are offended by being called/compared to monkeys. I would assume they would view that as a racist comment. Yes, PC goes too far sometimes, but racism is one area where I personally can't tolerate comments at all.

Once I called out an older female coworker (she was in her late 50's) for using the n word in front of me-it was just the two of us talking. That word makes me sick, and I tried to be polite in telling her so, only because there were customers around. She acted shocked that I would even say so I liked her previous to that, but never felt the same way about her after that. I think you have to call people out for racist comments, whether they are blatant or more subtle. When someone prefaces it by saying "not that I'm racist" well, that is a red flag as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:54 AM   #44
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Would it be entirely inappropriate to make a joke about W and the missing link?

*runs for the hills*
Old 01-10-2005, 06:56 AM   #45
War Child

Have you ever noticed no one ever claims racism? Even the Klan chalk it up to "not wanting the races to mix".

Every racist that I know and met have been conservatives, but by no means has every conservative I've met been a racist.