a question for catholics - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2001, 01:37 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:08 PM
I have met people who have ceased practicing Judaism (sp?) of any form but still call themselves Jews...is that something similar?

I was raised in fundamentalism...and stopped going to church for a while...I was under the impression if fundamentalism was wrong..then all of Christianity was wrong. It was an either/or thing..I failed to see that I could cease to be a fundamentalist...but remain a Christian. I realize that now...

I think its normal for young adults to stop going to church for a while...especially if they were forced to go as kids...if they are going to go back...the time off is less than five years..

Old 09-10-2001, 02:20 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mikal:
For me, going to a Catholic school drove me a way from the Catholic church. There is so much hypocrisy and clicks. But I guess it's probably like that in all religions.
I'm not attacking you here, but this is frankly something I never understood. People say "I don't got to church because there are too many hypocrites." I always ask, "Do you still go to work? Do you still go to the grocery store? How about over to your friends' houses? How about to the movies? the mall?" My point is that hypocrisy is everywhere. Churches certainly don't have a monopoly on that, and "religious" people aren't the only hypocrites. How many of say we believe one way, but our actiosn don't necessarily show it all the time? I would dare say all of us. So, I'm sorry, the hypocrisy thing doesn't work for me.

Old 09-10-2001, 02:46 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Heh...who would have thought we would agree on something regarding religion, 80s?

Melon

------------------
«Confused by thoughts, we experience duality in life. Unencumbered by ideas, the enlightened see the one reality.» - Hui-neng (638-713)
Old 09-11-2001, 02:32 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha:

I don't follow your logic here.
Because I dont go to church as often as I should.

------------------
The Chairs Are All Stacked
The Swinging's Stopped Swinging

Sicy's Website
Old 09-11-2001, 03:40 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Quote:
Originally posted by mikal:
For me, going to a Catholic school drove me a way from the Catholic church. There is so much hypocrisy and clicks. But I guess it's probably like that in all religions.
I'm not attacking you here, but this is frankly something I never understood. People say "I don't got to church because there are too many hypocrites." I always ask, "Do you still go to work? Do you still go to the grocery store? How about over to your friends' houses? How about to the movies? the mall?" My point is that hypocrisy is everywhere. Churches certainly don't have a monopoly on that, and "religious" people aren't the only hypocrites. How many of say we believe one way, but our actiosn don't necessarily show it all the time? I would dare say all of us. So, I'm sorry, the hypocrisy thing doesn't work for me.

I'm not talking about the people there. I'm talking about the church itself.

I can see why you took that way though because I mentioned clicks in the same sentence. My bad.

------------------
"Look what you did you little JERK!"

"Kevin! You're such a disease!"
Old 09-11-2001, 08:05 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Because I dont go to church as often as I should.
SG,
This may sound strange coming from me, but I'm not exactly fond of church. I have a hard time paying attention to sermons, no matter how good the preacher. I go regularly, out of a sense of obligation and also because of the Bible verse "Do not forsake the assembling of the saints". However, in my opinion, that could also include a small Bible study of friends, not necessarily "church".
But my point here is this. Don't get bogged down by church attendance. Salvation isn't based on anything you do, anyway. Anything any of us can ever do would not be enough to earn our way into God's good graces. Salvation is a free gift. Do you believe that Christ is the Son of God who died and rose to set you free? Have you confessed your sin and asked forgiveness, and invited Jesus to be the Lord and Savior of your life? If so, then you are a Christian, no matter what denomination you are, and you have the power of the Holy Spirit within you to live for you and guide you in the path which God would have you go.
-Mike