A question for Atheists regarding the Big Bang. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:00 AM
A question for Atheists regarding the Big Bang.

Howdy everyone,

I am not here to debate. I have sworn off debating in online forums. I just have a quick question for the Atheists here. Those Christians here that wish to answer that is fine as well, but this is more directed towards our Atheist friends.

What are your feelings about the Big Bang? Do you agree that it is a sound theory which explains the origins of the Universe? Again I am not asking this to open up a debate. Whatever views I have on this will go unsaid. Just wanted to get um.. statistical information! So just a yes or no will do.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Take care,

Carrie

Old 01-30-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 10:00 AM
I don't know there even was a beginning of the universe, or that "nothing" has ever existed, so the Big Bang Theory or Creationism Theory is irrelevant to me. Besides, a universe without a beginning or end is no more far-fetched than an uncreated creator.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:00 AM
I believe God could have "used" the BBT when creating the universe.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:42 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 02:00 PM
Re: A question for Atheists regarding the Big Bang.

Quote:
Originally posted by thacraic
Howdy everyone,
What are your feelings about the Big Bang? Do you agree that it is a sound theory which explains the origins of the Universe? Again I am not asking this to open up a debate. Whatever views I have on this will go unsaid. Just wanted to get um.. statistical information! So just a yes or no will do.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Take care,

Carrie
How can one possibly argue the merits/flaws in this theory without knowing the science behind it?
Old 01-31-2005, 07:19 AM   #5
War Child

I personally think it takes just as much faith to believe in the Big Bang as it does to believe in a Creator.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
I personally think it takes just as much faith to believe in the Big Bang as it does to believe in a Creator.
Again, how can you say something like that without knowing the science behind the theory?

I'm not professing to be an expert -- I don't know it either -- but that's like saying it takes the same faith to believe in a Creator as written in the Bible as it takes to believe in special/general relativity or quantum mechanics... it's just not comparable.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
War Child

Matter cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, at one point, whether you believe in Creationism or the Big Bang, matter appeared and formed the universe as we know it. How did that happen? Neither side can explain it scientifically.

I don't think one needs to be well versed in evolutionary science in order to realize that. Nor does one need to be an expert in theology or creationism. Both beliefs cannot account for how matter was generated from nothing. Therefore I believe that both views require a certain measure of faith.

Also....I dont think it takes faith to understand relativity. It has been proven in countless experiments. Tests done in airplanes flying at very high speeds have accounted for the slowing down of time that Einstein predicted in his theory.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 AM   #8
War Child

The Big Bang theory and belief in God don't have to be exclusive. You can believe in a creator and still believe there was a "Big Bang" behind our current universe's beginning.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
Matter cannot be created or destroyed.
Energy superheated to an extremely high temperature (i.e., 10,000,000,000,000 degrees) creates an equal amount of matter and antimatter as it cools down. Matter and antimatter, when in contact, annihilates each other. It is thought that, for whatever reason, the universe created a disproportionate amount of matter versus antimatter; hence, here we are.

Basically, under normal physics, matter cannot be created or destroyed. However, outside of that, it is possible, as listed above.

With that, I'm one of those who believe in a God-created "Big Bang" and evolution. Faith and science should not be incompatible...unless, of course, you're purposely trying to be incompatible.

Melon
Old 01-31-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
Acrobat

Hey everybody!

Wow. It turned into a bit of a debate! lol.

Well thank you everyone who has contributed thus far.

I look forward to more responses.

Take Care,

Carrie
Old 01-31-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
Acrobat

Re: Re: A question for Atheists regarding the Big Bang.

Quote:
Originally posted by saltines17

How can one possibly argue the merits/flaws in this theory without knowing the science behind it?
I am not asking for a anyone to discuss the merits /flaws of the Big Bang. I am just asking if people who are Atheist do accept the Big Bang. This does not require they understand the fundementals of Physics or Cosmology. I am just asking what their personal feelings are on it.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

With that, I'm one of those who believe in a God-created "Big Bang" and evolution. Faith and science should not be incompatible...unless, of course, you're purposely trying to be incompatible.
When scientists were first studying the implications of general relativity for cosmology, it was hypothesized, given the current rate of expansion of the universe, that the entire universe had originated from a single point of infinite space-time curvature at some finite time in the past.

Many scientists noted that this could be construed as having been caused by God, and they started derisively calling this theory the "Big Bang".

Funny how things have turned around.

(If you want my opinion -- I believe in God, and I'm pretty sure the Big Bang or something like it occurred.)
Old 02-01-2005, 03:27 AM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 01:00 AM
As I understand it the BBT requires no first cause as there was no "before". But the real question is where do the mathmatical contsants behind quantum physics as we know it come from? As far as I can undertand, science struggles to really explain the 'beauty' of these and the intricate design that appears to be evidenced in them. The only answer put forward beside a creator is the idea of an infinate number of parallel universes of which ours just happens to be the lucky one with the right parametres for the universe as we know it.

To me this seems like more of a cop out than simply taking the evidence at face value- design = creator. The simple fact that something such as human conciousness even exists to consider these things makes it all the more obvious to me.

But to simply answer your questions, yes I believe it is a theory which describes the way our universe unfolded- but doesn't answer the deeper question of "why?"
Old 02-01-2005, 03:37 AM   #14
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:00 AM
No, I dont think I believe in it.

~Agnostic/athiest/too unsure
Old 02-01-2005, 06:40 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I'm an agnostic. I'll weigh in.

I believe in the Big Bang theory. There's just too much evidence. Yes, it does take a leap of faith to believe it, of course. But it's certainly not completely implausible. Redshifting, the Hubble Ultra Deep Field (and the space-time warping in that photo)...there's just too much evidence for me to be able to believe that something of that kind didn't happen.

I don't know if God did it or if it's a force of the universe. At this particular moment I lean towards the natural side (as I do on most things), but it's really quite spectacular when you think about it.

It's like a lot of things we don't fully understand. I was looking in my biology book the other day and saw this figure showing the Signal-Transduction Pathway in plants for the hormone auxin. And it just stuns me how much that thing controls. Proton pumps, RNA transcription, ribosome functions, production of growth factors...so much goes on inside these tiny little cells that works so perfectly and so precisely. I have a difficult time believing that something like that was the cause of random atoms coming together in a proper environment that was zapped by lightning. But I just don't know.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't believe that God caused the Big Bang, but that it did happen.