A provocative question as usual...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm agno-atheist... if there was a god, we would be aware i would think.

so i have no answer how this benefits me, other than the gift of thinking for myself at all times.

trevster2k said:
Hey Miggy,

I think you should tone it down. Acrobat Man posted an opinion not a thesis for critical analysis. It is a bullet list of their thoughts, not exposition looking for validation by others. People just post their thoughts and don't expect to be ridiculed or insulted for these thoughts. If you don't agree with Acrobat's post, fine, no need to insult the person's intelligence or be condescending. If we all went around criticizing each other for what is opinion, no one would post anything or we would all be banned from the site. Debate is wonderful but ridicule of another person's ideas is not cool.

I may have reacted a bit harshly, but I think if someone is going to post a bullet list of something that states that religion makes you prejudiced, war-hungry, ignorant, and capable of terrorism, amongst other things, then the person should back it up.

Had AcrobatMan written more, and explained his ideas, rather than just posted (what I believe to be) a radical list, I don't think I would have been as offended. I may be agnostic, but at one time I was a practicing Christian, and my family still has the faith, and I do find his post offensive. I would have gotten just as angry had he said that atheists are basically war-mongering terrorist racists. Usually when I visit this forum I just sit back and read because mostly everyone has something reasonable to say, or at least backs up what they think with thoughtful explanation. I think it's irresponsible to put a bomb in the middle of a forum and walk away from it like that.

I was a little hot under the collar, but I believe his post was in poor taste. If you're going to say something radical and controversial, you should at least explain it.

-Miggy D

Indeed; if we are going to be controversial here then backing up does help one's arguments. Also, if you feel that a post is controversial and feel an aggressive reaction to it, perhaps its best to refrain from posting.

Either way, lets everyone cool down as we proceed.

Ant.

Asking someone what atheism has done for them is like asking the Edge what baldness has done for him. I never "chose" atheism, and cannot "pick and choose" my beliefs. If I could, then believe me I would probably have chosen something else. The only benefit I've gained, is knowing I know myself, and maybe a little more open minded perspective on religions and their belief systems and how they should relate to our society.

Asking someone how atheism has benefitted them is just a reversal of the often asked question of how their faith has benefitted them.

You don't believe you made a decision to be an atheist? Don't you believe in free will?

I have free will to post on the internet, drive a car, get a job, do volunteer work, etc. Choosing a belief, is slightly different. I could say I think homosexuality is wrong, join anti-homosexuality groups, and all that, but in the end on the inside, I'd still think there is nothing wrong with it. Beliefs, I find, tend to not be a product of the kind of grocery cart shopping scenario implied by the begining of this thread. They are influenced by a persons experiences, ideas, thought process, etc. and ultimatly are a result of a person discovering who they are and what they believe. I don't pick my hair color, nor eye color, yet I can mask them, cosmetically alter them to appear different, but at the end of the day, they're still what I was born with.

Miggy D said:

religion makes you prejudiced, war-hungry, ignorant, and capable of terrorism, amongst other things, then the person should back it up.

-Miggy D

You are ASSuming things.

I have said atheism hasnt given us war or terrorism - Atheism isnt organised ... It doesnt tell you to distinguish between believers and non-believers.

I never see whether a guy is religious or not... thats his or her personal matter..

If I were ANTI-religious..I would have had no friends in my life...By the God's grace, I have many good friends in real life...and most of them are religious.. My parents are very religious..so are my siblings...

There has been wars based on religion...ACCEPT it...doesnt necessarily mean religions teach you war or anything.. doesnt mean there cannot be other reasons for war.

There has been terrorism based on religion...ACCEPT it...doesnt necessarily mean .........

"Terrorism based on atheism" - have you heard of it ?

Whatever I am saying is based on FACTS and not reading some grand old "BOOK".

Dude, you got it all wrong...you have a closed mind thinking...you cant infer things.

Enough said... Keep reading books.

Good luck.

AcrobatMan said:

You are ASSuming things.

I have said atheism hasnt given us war or terrorism - Atheism isnt organised ... It doesnt tell you to distinguish between believers and non-believers.

Actually I believe you did. War and terrorism are two of the things you listed as:

"what is that atheism hasnt given the atheists."
There has been wars based on religion...ACCEPT it...doesnt necessarily mean religions teach you war or anything.. doesnt mean there cannot be other reasons for war.
I believe I did say in my post that there have been wars based on religion. You might want to re-read that. I did say that not all wars were based on religion.
There has been terrorism based on religion...ACCEPT it...doesnt necessarily mean .........

"Terrorism based on atheism" - have you heard of it ?
Again, I never said there wasn't terrorism based on religion. I merely said that religion was not responsible for all terrorism, and that terrorism has been committed for secular reasons. 'Accept it,' as you would say.
Whatever I am saying is based on FACTS and not reading some grand old "BOOK".
I'm not even really sure what you were saying. Nor have you backed anything you've said up with 'facts.' If you could post some facts that proved that all wars are caused by religion, I'd concede to your point. As it stands, you posted a list of words and then never really explained what you meant. You still haven't.

By the way - keep on hating books. They aren't good for anything! Burn them, I say!
Dude, you got it all wrong...you have a closed mind thinking...you cant infer things.

Enough said... Keep reading books.

Good luck.

I'll try and keep reading books, but it's going to be hard, considering how worthless they are.

-Migdilio

Last edited:
Miggy D said:

all wars are caused by religion,

-Migdilio

Did i ever say that ? Atheism hasnt gives us war

Does that mean "all wars are caused by religion" ?

That "I hate books" is another assumption you are making :shrug: I am reading a book myself that has to do with computer programming.. I like knowledge-based books...and I dont hate books.

Stop assuming, start deducing !!

I think that whether a person consciously "chooses" to be an atheist or a believer is different for different people. We are all products of the societies and families we've been born into and can't escape some degree of conditioning. That's not to say that many people don't stop and evaluate their views and convictions later on in life, and often make complete turnaround. But in my case, the fact that I can no more choose to believe in God than in a Tooth Fairy has a lot to do with the fact that I grew up in a non-religious family.

I would consider myself agnostic. I am not, nor have I ever been an atheist. Having said that, I have read writings of some atheist thinkers that I find interesting and thought provoking, but they did not convince me to become an atheist, neither has reading religious writings convinced me to become a believer.

Techie2000 said:
I have free will to post on the internet, drive a car, get a job, do volunteer work, etc. Choosing a belief, is slightly different. I could say I think homosexuality is wrong, join anti-homosexuality groups, and all that, but in the end on the inside, I'd still think there is nothing wrong with it. Beliefs, I find, tend to not be a product of the kind of grocery cart shopping scenario implied by the begining of this thread. They are influenced by a persons experiences, ideas, thought process, etc. and ultimatly are a result of a person discovering who they are and what they believe. I don't pick my hair color, nor eye color, yet I can mask them, cosmetically alter them to appear different, but at the end of the day, they're still what I was born with.

Cannot find a flaw with this post at all. Said beautifully what I was unable to articulate. Thank you.

Macfistowannabe said:

You don't believe you made a decision to be an atheist? Don't you believe in free will?

I believe that your background has alot to do with the choice of religion. I am not from a christian family, but i have still read the bible and have found nothing worth believing in.

I made a decision based on my search for " something ", and i am happy with that choice.

Techie2000 said:
I have free will to post on the internet, drive a car, get a job, do volunteer work, etc. Choosing a belief, is slightly different.

This really means something to me b/c as a Christian, I do not believe in free will, just as the way you are describing it here. It's nice to know two polar opposites can still arrive at the same conclusion.

Miggy D said:
Interesting, because free will is discussed in the Bible. It says that we have it.

Like I've said repeatedly in various threads, in the theology I've learned and accepted, "free will" does not = one's ability to make their own choices. That is something called "freedom" and everyone has it. Free will is ONLY concerned with one's actual will, or soul, heart, whatever you want to call it, and what that part of you wants more than anything else.

The Bible also talks about a donkey farting.

Hello all,
I thought i would drop in my personal opinons here on this quite intresting thread!
I am not an athiest but I have talked too many athiests throughtout my life, so I understand where they come from, and why they believe the way they do. But I would just like to say what religion gives to me in my life. I know that what the scripture teaches us and Jesus, is that I do have a purpose here on earth, Im not just here to work, and have fun, etc.., and then die. Also that I have free agency to choose between good and bad everyday, we all have been given a concious for a reason, we know and feel what is good and bad, and we make decisions everyday, in my beliefs in religion, it keeps me from stealing, lying, commiting immoral sins or whatever, because I know that I will be judged for those sins after this life by God. What i have gained by my beliefs and religion, is that this life is a test, and God is testing us here on earth, he is giving us the free agency to decide for ourselves what we want in the long run(afterlife) for what we do in this short life we have here on this earth. I know that if I did not have these beliefs or religion, or if I did not believe in God, I would have no meaning in my life, I would ask myself what am I doing on earth, or does anything mean anything. And I would probably be more likely to commit alot more sin, because I would think there is no consequence, even steal when I had the chance, lie to people,etc.. But I know with religion and my beliefs that I may get away with it here on earth, but God knows everything I do. So for me, my religon is a huge boost, it gives me purpose and meaning for life, and not just this life to look forward too but for all eternity!

Back
Top Bottom