A person with opposite politics but you adore/respect? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2004, 06:03 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 PM
I like John McCain, Colin Powell

I also get crushes on "regular guy" Republicans, but then I eventually come back to reality

I had a momentary lapse of reason a few years back and had a crush on Sean Hannity

Old 09-27-2004, 02:56 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:56 PM
My Republican Congressman, Spencer Bachus. He's a terrific compassionate conservative. He supports debt relief and has worked with Bono. He's a really good guy. I also like John McCain.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:21 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Nixon was brilliant...but he was also very corrupt.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:17 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Nixon was brilliant...but he was also very corrupt.
As a historian I will agree that Nixon was a smart politician, but he actually was not "very corrupt" in the grand scheme of things. Yes, Watergate was a huge deal, but in terms of politics, this is nothing out of the ordinary. So many dirty deeds go on under the radar in politics....it's just that Nixon actually got caught. If he would have been indeed "brilliant," he would have destroyed all documentation(the audio tapes). Like I said, he did nothing out of the ordinary if you really research into presidential history, it's just that he got caught. A good example for recent times is the Lewinsky Scandal. It really wouldn't have been that big of deal, but Clinton obstructed justice by lying to a grand jury. Dumb move, but really no that out of the ordinary in politics--everyone knows that JFK and other presidents have had mistresses, but they never got caught.

Sad but true...you don't become the most powerful person in the world by being a nice guy in this day and age.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:38 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, in the grand scheme of things Watergate was basically politics as usual. Nixon got caught. He wasn't quite clever enough to get away with politics as usual. You're right, you don't get to be the most powerful man in the world by being nice. You get to be basically by being aggressive as hell. Eisenhower got away with telling the press he had the flu when he'd actually had a bad heart attack! That's no longer possible.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #36
Refugee

I have to say that I respect Arnold Schwarzenegger, though I find his politics disagreeable, at best. I really do respect him, and his 'girly men' speech was the funniest thing on television since Blackadder. As for 'actual' politicians, well, I respected Nixon to a degree, much the same way that I respected Thatcher. That woman had more balls than her entire cabinet of men put together.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 09-30-2004, 07:46 AM   #37
The Fly

Well, this isn't along the lines of what other people's responses, but my last boyfriend was a staunch conservative. I didn't agree with him on a lot of things, but we both were able to respect each other's opinions and discuss things without taking things personally. If anything, I learned a lot.

I have to also say one thing, here...I have found that sometimes, people with certain "leanings" find it hard to listen to the other side. And I KNOW it's difficult, I feel it's important. I feel it's have to know your opposition. I know a few people who just didn't bother to try to watch the Republican Convention because they "just weren't interested" enough and knew they would find it aggravating. I tried - I didn't make it all the way through, but I tried. I'm not better than my friends who didn't watch, but I feel I understand their position better and can make a more educated decision - and I can counter arguments better without taking things personally. I don't know....just my "two cents".
Old 10-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

chuck schumer... while i may not agree with all of his politics, i can certainly say that everything he does is to benefit the people of new york state, not his own political career, unlike some of our other senators from new york, no names mentioned of course...
Old 10-04-2004, 09:47 PM   #39
Refugee

Wait...must be Hillary!

Well, I guess I respect that Obama guy in Illinois. He seems like a compassionate, smart worker for the people.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:56 PM
My best friend. I describe her politics as "uber-Republican" (she's still in mourning for Reagan ) while I'm more of a conservative Democrat. I always accuse her of secretly being a WASP High Priestess...she accuses me of ruining the country with my past presidential votes. Oh well, all's fair in love & war, right?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:43 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Joe Liebermann, Alan Colmes, Zell Miller
Old 11-11-2004, 03:46 PM   #42
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Tucker Carlson...

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:54 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I can't remember if I put Rudy Giuliani in my original post. He was so good after 9/11. He deserved his knighthood, trust me.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:03 AM   #44
The Fly

U.S. Senator Edward M. Kennedy

Attention: M.F. Wannabe
"Lieberman" is w/ one "n"
(not two "n"s as U put it)
Sen. Joe is openly Jewish!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:08 AM   #45
The Fly

Tucker should tuck -- his tongue!

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Tucker Carlson...
Pax is right-on with this one. Tucker is a total phoney. He is simply a foil on the commercialized and highly-staged "Crossfire" (a show I stopped watching quite some time ago). Ducker Tucker is allegedly or used to be a "conservative". When recently asked on air for his prediction for the Presidential election outcome, he incredibly retorted: "KERRY -- by two points". What a political imbecile! Even IF he actually thought that (doubtful), he should have shut up. U can be sure real conservatives definitely don't like TC now.