A News Story Worth Following - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:45 AM
A News Story Worth Following

Anonymous acts of kindness catch on

Quote:
Before Bob Haslam had a chance to thank her, she was gone. In the drive-up lane at a Starbucks in Lynnwood, Haslam reached out for his usual — a nonfat raspberry latte with two Splendas stirred in. But the barista wouldn't take his money.

"She leaned way out and said, 'You're not going to believe this, but the lady ahead of you paid for your latte. She said she wanted to make your day.' " Mary Ann Johnson had a similar experience. She had just finished a salmon pot-pie dinner at Chinook's at Salmon Bay, topping it off with a chocolate sundae.

"When I got ready to go, the waitress told me, 'Your meal's been paid for by another patron. They said it was a random act of kindness.' "

Events like those don't typically make news.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:45 AM
So very cool!!!

Old 07-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:45 PM
Worth following indeed. It's like the stories of oprah (who can afford it) giving the toll booth a $50 note and saying to let the next number of applicable drivers through for free.
Paying it forward.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:45 AM
The timing of this thread is interesting...

I was just at the corner store down the street after getting home from a concert, the woman in front of me had bottled water and 2 dollars cash. She asked if she had enough for the water and advil. The teller rang it up and she was short 30 cents. She looked at him and asked if she could bring it later and he just looked at her and said, one or the other. So I gave her a dollar, for I didn't have change. She tells me "You're blessed", I said "no problem". Then she says, "well now I have enough for this gum too." She grabs the gum and places it on the counter. She leaves, and the guy behind me leans over to me and mumbles "typical". I said, "what, I gave it to her". He just looked at me and shook his head... I was extremely appauled by his reaction.

The only reason I tell this story, is that no matter what, there are still going to be those that oppose such acts of kindness, and I will never understand.

I felt good about doing such a thing, but I was also angered by the reaction of some at the same time.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #5
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 01:45 AM
it was nice what you did, bvs.

there's a woman who is a regular patron at the library where i work who always purchases one of our leather bookmarks (a three dollar donation) and tells us to give it to the next child who checks out a book. we've given away well over a dozen of them so far.

not only do the kids love it, but the staff enjoys giving them out as well.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Why would anyone oppose that? Because they're stuck up and insecure I suppose...

Anyways that's really nice. I may try it sometime. Maybe if there's a really hot girl behind me I'll pay for whatever she's getting and have the barista give her my phone number, just like on that commercial. Heh heh.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I did something like that for someone yesterday. It made me feel good after a nasty encounter I had with someone else a few days ago. The person was so appreciative too.

There will always be people who are just nasty for whatever reason no matter how hard someone else tries, whether it's their life circumstances or they're just that way. We all have bad days too but we also always have the power of choice in how we deal with people and circumstances.

However it's so difficult sometimes, people can really try your patience.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
The only reason I tell this story, is that no matter what, there are still going to be those that oppose such acts of kindness, and I will never understand.
Was he really opposing your act of kindness do you think or just commenting on her apparent lack of manners in not reciprocating your kindness by offering you change back or at least a piece of gum?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

That's nice. Why would anyone oppose an act of kindness? I don't get it.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
The Fly

I wouldn't oppose random acts of kindness but I would prefer to direct mine to those in real need rather than buying people lattes at Starbucks.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:45 AM
I've been on both the giving and receiving ends of random acts of kindness. It feels so wonderful to experience both. Good to hear that stories like this are getting more notice.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

Was he really opposing your act of kindness do you think or just commenting on her apparent lack of manners in not reciprocating your kindness by offering you change back or at least a piece of gum?
Based on his reaction to my, "I gave it to her", I'd say he opposed the act all together.

The woman was very kind and appreciative, I wouldn't have taken the change or gum...
Old 07-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #13
War Child

'Pay it Forward: a novel' by Catherine Ryan Hyde. The book is better than the movie.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by silja
I wouldn't oppose random acts of kindness but I would prefer to direct mine to those in real need rather than buying people lattes at Starbucks.
That seems kinda catty.

I don't know if you meant it that way, but your comment seems very similar in tone to the jerk behind BVS at the store. A kindness is worthy, even if it isn't directed to only those in "real" need.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I think everyone needs kindness-obviously those in need need it more than others, but we can all benefit. It creates a ripple effect that makes people more generous in spirit and generous with their time and money, hopefully to those in need.