A News Story Worth Following - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I think everyone needs kindness-obviously those in need need it more than others, but we can all benefit. It creates a ripple effect that makes people more generous in spirit and generous with their time and money, hopefully to those in need.
I agree.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #17
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

That seems kinda catty.

I don't know if you meant it that way, but your comment seems very similar in tone to the jerk behind BVS at the store. A kindness is worthy, even if it isn't directed to only those in "real" need.
Well, hello indra. Thank you for calling me a jerk

I didn't say that such a kindness is unworthy - brightening up someone's day never is. If it, as Mrs.S points out, creates a ripple-effect then all is well but I might be a bit wary that some people could see these little kindnesses as substitutes for contributing to solving the real problems.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Implicit in your comment is the idea that we can rank the world's problems in such a way that we focus our attention on one area before turning to another. I think the world would implode while we waited for such a ranking.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #19
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Implicit in your comment is the idea that we can rank the world's problems in such a way that we focus our attention on one area before turning to another. I think the world would implode while we waited for such a ranking.
If you read it in such a way then I'm sorry. I meant no such thing.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:40 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Don´t give silja such a hard time.

I think being kind is just being kind, it is a good thing to do, to whoever. nbc, you´re a kind person.

Silja just pointed out that our help should go to the persons who are in need of that help. There´s nothing wrong with that, just like there´s nothing wrong with paying a lunch for a millionaire.

Still, nbc, when we focus on help, you will agree that dolphins or other endangered species, or people who have no roof and no clothes and no food and are ill, need our contributions much more than someone who already got aforementioned things and is not ill. I understand your skepticism, because everyone deserves our kindness, and we should not make a difference. But I respectfully disagree with your opinion that a list would be bad. See it this way,, if the money donated to Falwell would go to the African Well Fund.. - we all have our preferences, and it wasn´t about pulling a list deciding who´s more worthy of our kindness.

Everyone is worthy, still, some need it more than others.

The positive effect of randomly being kind is the exciting thing about this. That you don´t know who gave this present to you and why. And then you find out: just because he wanted to make your day a little better. So you get a lot of positive energy. The best thing is to pick it up and spread it further!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:42 AM
I would never compare it to the needs of the truly needy- but you also never know if that person at Starbucks just lost a loved one, lost his or her job, has a terminal illness, or is in any number of sad to hopeless life situations. In that case a kindness such as that could mean more to them than you know.

Sometimes when you feel like you want to give up and you're barely hanging on or don't even want to hang on, a random gesture of kindness could be the one thing that gives you the smallest sliver of hope. I think most human hearts tend to work that way.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:19 AM   #22
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I would never compare it to the needs of the truly needy- but you also never know if that person at Starbucks just lost a loved one, lost his or her job, has a terminal illness, or is in any number of sad to hopeless life situations. In that case a kindness such as that could mean more to them than you know.

Sometimes when you feel like you want to give up and you're barely hanging on or don't even want to hang on, a random gesture of kindness could be the one thing that gives you the smallest sliver of hope. I think most human hearts tend to work that way.
Good point. The specific act, or its monetary value, is irrelevant. When somebody helps a complete stranger, looking for nothing in return, the kindness can be contagious.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:50 AM   #23
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 07:42 PM
^ agreed.

When I worked part time at a local supermarket, we had lots of pensioners come in to buy groceries. Sometimes they barely had enough money to cover the essentials and we had about 4 or 5 people regularly come up at the till when they were there and say 'its all on me' The look in these old person's eyes was heartbreakingly real. Thankfulness, but also slight shame that they couldnt afford everything they needed. In turn they were always coming into our shop with knitted booties, or scarves or small knee rugs to be given to people who needed them. I felt very blessed to be a part of it all.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:08 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by silja

Well, hello indra. Thank you for calling me a jerk

I didn't say that such a kindness is unworthy - brightening up someone's day never is. If it, as Mrs.S points out, creates a ripple-effect then all is well but I might be a bit wary that some people could see these little kindnesses as substitutes for contributing to solving the real problems.
Anytime.

How you phrased you original comment to BVS's act did imply (to me anyway) what he did was not nearly as important as what you would do -- and that was my problem with it.

And I think that if we all did nothing unless it would help solve "real" problems, we would all do nothing -- period.