A New Yardstick for Media Bias - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:06 PM
I think the analysis begins to fall apart with the assumption that media=corporations=conservatives That may be part of the liberal bias itself, or the need to demonize corporations as the common enemy.

There are plenty of wealthy liberals (actually, there are more of them if you believe the studies bantered about come election time about how liberal voters are wealthier and better educated). But, I digress.

Another factor overlooked is that there is just as much money behind liberal causes as there are conservative causes.

Yet another factor is an individual's sensitivity to opposing views. You could be hearing plenty of left leaning commentators all day long, but the conservative ones will stand out. A conservative will "miss" the right-leaning commentators when the liberal ones are aired.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:06 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Yardstick for Media Bias

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Interesting how the claim of left-wing bias is dismissed as unfounded, and the dismissal is supported by the claim that certain outlets have an obvious right-wing bias.

i've gone through this so many times, i hardly have the energy.

but Fox News and Drudge will come out and say that, yes, they are biased. they will use things like "fair and balanced" which is really a method of taking the centrist media, and by positioning themselves as right-of-that-established-center, pushing the *perception* of CNN or whatever to the left, which actually does the work of bringing the entire discussion further to the right.

also, look into the Swift Boat fiasco/smear/pit of lies to understand just how effectively coordinated Fox News/Rush/Drudge are in taking a bogus story, batting it around the web and talk radio for weeks, creating a sense of hype, and then laughing all the way as the centrist media eats it up. the story had no validity, yet essentially discredited Kerry's greatest strength and appeal to voters -- that he was (and is) a hands-down war hero.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
I think the analysis begins to fall apart with the assumption that media=corporations=conservatives
Except it's documented.

http://www.opensecrets.org/

It's well hidden, but the information can still be found. If you find out who each media outlet is owned by, you can see who they give to on opensecrets, and with a few exceptions, the corporate owners of the media (i.e. GE owning NBC, etc) strongly favor republicans.

On top of that, you have huge advertizers in the Oil, Tobacco, Pharmacutical, etc, industries, all of whom seem to favor republicans when it comes to giving money. And when they do give to democrats, it's either the moderate ones, or the ones who were recently elected, as "sorry, no hard feelings" gesture.

Sure, there's money behind liberal causes, but that has little effect on the media.

I think "liberal media" is something the right-wing willingly propogates. It allows them to push a right-wing agenda, then point at it and call it "liberal bias". The goal is to re-define what the center is and allow them to push further right agendas, agendas that would probably be rejected if a perception of liberal media bias did not exist.

It's ingenious, actually.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by cydewaze
I think "liberal media" is something the right-wing willingly propogates. It allows them to push a right-wing adgenda, then point at it and call it "liberal bias". The goal is to re-define what the center is and allow them to push further right agendas, agendas that would probably be rejected if a perception of liberal media bias did not exist.

It's ingenious, actually.

and you're absolutely right.

i've already quoted Bill Kristol -- editor of the Weekly Standard -- who has admitted that they fabricated the charge.

i suppose myths die hard, and there are always those willing to latch on to anything that helps them hold onto precious, comforting certainty when their worldviews are challenged by an open media and vigorous jouranlism.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I guess you can collect isolated facts to support such a contention.

And I think you can see the another break-down in the argument by citing an agenda driven organization like opensecrets.org

You could easily swap the statements to say "conservative run corporations" is something that the left-wing willingly propogates.....
Old 12-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
And I think you can see the another break-down in the argument by citing an agenda driven organization like opensecrets.org
I find it amusing that providing data is considered agenda driven.

It's all public information. If you donate to a politician, that's public information. I googled my zipcode and found that one of my neighbors donated to one of our senators in 2002. Public info.

If facts appear to have a liberal bias, perhaps something else is wrong.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:44 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Rich Bond, RNC chariman in 1992: "There is some strategy to it [bashing the 'liberal' media].... If you watch any great coach, what they try to do is 'work the refs.' Maybe the ref will cut you a little slack on the next one."

James Baker: "There were days and times and events we might have had some complaints [but] on balance I don't think we had anything to complain about."

Pat Buchanan: "I've gotten balanced coverage, and broad coverage--all we could have asked. For heaven sakes, we kid about the 'liberal media,' but every Republican on earth does that."

also, are you discounting the influence of, say, Fox News, the Wall Street Journal editorial pages, the Washington Times, the New York Post, The American Spectator, The Weekly Standard, the New York Sun, National Review, Commentary, Limbaugh, Drudge, etc?

what distinguishes these pieces of media from the "liberal" media like CNN, MSNBC, the major networks, is that the ones listed above never include any pretense towards balance and comprehensive evaluation and represenatation of the facts. conservatives are extremely well represented in every facet of the mainstream media, which belies the point that even the genuine liberal media -- i.e., The Nation -- are not so liberal nor are they nearly as ferocious and commited compared to the massive, coordinated conservative media structure that determines the shape and scope of our political agenda.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:46 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:06 PM
it gives me great comfort while basking in the sure knowledge
that
the fym fourm of interfernce.com
contains the most impartail
well balanced
informed
clearheaded thinkers
of a grrreat
generation.

if only they would turn off their i-pods

Old 12-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Yardstick for Media Bias

Quote:

Interesting how the claim of left-wing bias is dismissed as unfounded, and the dismissal is supported by the claim that certain outlets have an obvious right-wing bias.

i do not dismiss that there are left wing media sources

i did read the report when I saw it listed on Drudge

i found some of it credible
and some of it way off

i did look into how the research was compiled

as a regular listener to public radio it has gotten more balanced in recent years
i also believe PBS if fairly balanced
they both have large corp. sponsors and depend on a more conservative congress for some of their funding

when I hear them assailed as liberal
it says more about the accuser than the stations

Pacifica public radio is liberal
the nation is liberal

to what extend abc, nbc and cbs are liberal is in the eye of the beholder
they sure joined the feeding frenzy on the Clinton/Monica so-called scandal

and pretty much let the Bush Admin set the news cycle in the 02 and 04 elections

i just found the study without merit
when they said Drudge was balanced
they can use the method of all stories linked on his page
to try and support that finding

But what leads in Bold, large type
does often set, or influence the news cycle

and there is a definite right slant
his advertisers prove that out.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by cydewaze

I find it amusing that providing data is considered agenda driven.

It's all public information. If you donate to a politician, that's public information. I googled my zipcode and found that one of my neighbors donated to one of our senators in 2002. Public info.

If facts appear to have a liberal bias, perhaps something else is wrong.
Selective provision of facts can be exceptionally biased.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:23 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Obviously, but what does opensecrets omit? There are plenty of industries listed that are dem-friendly. I originally found out about opensecrets on Free Republic (a rigth-wing website) when they were using numbers from it to assail the gun control industry.

The numbers are based on search criteria the user specifies. I don't understand what's selective about it.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

i can agree with that