"a new ideology of evil" - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2005, 08:53 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:38 PM
I'm sorry if I was generalising but I've done it myself trying to be the bigger liberal than the next guy which is pure stupidity, I'd expect to be flamed biblicly for sugguesting that sort of thing but I find it true and people who proclaim the pope is an asshole is pure ignorance, I'm certain they might of thought of Ghandi as a prick

Old 02-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude
This is the kind of thing that denies me hope for all of mankind, yes what the pope said may have been wrong imo but you and anyone else in this thread who personally attacked the man is no better, has he not done many good deeds aswell though, tell me he hasn',t more than you have probably, I mean we cannot take the moral high ground over him at all,
Here's the difference: the "Pope" and the entire Vatican, for that matter, almost literally put themselves one step above man and one step below God. So when they talk, they don't talk in "opinion." No, they claim to represent "God's will."

When I hear such an arrogant old man speak vile and hateful things, I have every goddamn right to call him on it, because you know what? He does the same exact thing on a regular basis.

I lament the fact that the shit that Poop spouts off on a regular basis is the reason I left the Catholic Church. When he dies, I will not mourn his death.

Melon

Old 02-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Here's the difference: the "Pope" and the entire Vatican, for that matter, almost literally put themselves one step above man and one step below God. So when they talk, they don't talk in "opinion." No, they claim to represent "God's will."

When I hear such an arrogant old man speak vile and hateful things, I have every goddamn right to call him on it, because you know what? He does the same exact thing on a regular basis.

I lament the fact that the shit that Poop spouts off on a regular basis is the reason I left the Catholic Church. When he dies, I will not mourn his death.

Melon
I'd bet there is a sizable difference between the number who will "mourn" his death and the number who actually accept and follow what he teaches.

At least you are honest about your feelings on this.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 AM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

To Melon

I'm sorry but your coming across as an arrogant person yourself and when you make arguements your points don't seem to be greatly validated by describing the situation as the Poop spouting shit. It seems to me ridiculous that we're in my opinion turning the tables on the world religions and judging them from the outside and at this we'll end up like them contradictory and foolish, it's all a bit of a vicious circle really and I'd like to have everyone at peace but we'll stop ourselves so it seems
Old 02-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #170
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:38 PM
You sure are making a lot of judgements on people in here today. It's very clear you haven't spent any amount of time in here or you wouldn't have said half the things you have.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^
Fair enough it's just the vibe I got from this thread that most people were pointlessly bashing the pope with personal attacks which is just childish anyone with good arguements et al fair play what he said was wrong, sorry for wasting time then
Old 02-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #172
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
^
Fair enough it's just the vibe I got from this thread that most people were pointlessly bashing the pope with personal attacks which is just childish anyone with good arguements et al fair play what he said was wrong, sorry for wasting time then
Interesting.....that isnot what I got from it....but to each their own.....
Old 02-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #173
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgement day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away. "
Old 02-26-2005, 01:11 AM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
"Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgement day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away. "
*Random: Our school choir did that song back in...10th, 11th grade, for a pops concert. Good song, good message*

Anywho, back to the topic at hand...

Angela
Old 02-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #175
New Yorker

Quote:
To Melon

I'm sorry but your coming across as an arrogant person yourself and when you make arguements your points don't seem to be greatly validated by describing the situation as the Poop spouting shit. It seems to me ridiculous that we're in my opinion turning the tables on the world religions and judging them from the outside and at this we'll end up like them contradictory and foolish, it's all a bit of a vicious circle really and I'd like to have everyone at peace but we'll stop ourselves so it seems
you're, as in 'you are'. Sorry, but I get like that when it comes to spelling and grammar. Anyway...

So, are you saying that nobody should question faith? That we should take everything taught by whichever Church/group/movement we are interested in, at face value? That we, as individuals and as connected members of national, and global society, should follow dogma, like unthinking sheep? That we shouldn't develop our own moral standards, but should stick rigidly to orthodoxy?

I ask you this (apologies for the Blairesque phrasing there). What is the point in accepting everything one religious organisation preaches, if it means nothing to you personally? Faith is a wonderful thing, and also a very personal thing. We need to follow our own paths, not become blind.

(Yes, I was mostly raised at Church of England schools - I'm still able to think for myself.)
Old 02-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life

Interesting that the sooner the Vatican releases its latest verbal assualt on homosexuals, the Pope falls ill a day afterwards....

Maybe God is trying to tell us something.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #177
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by FullonEdge2
Um hello? The Bible condemns homosexuality!

If you're not a Christian, then that's fine, but if you are, I don't see what your argument is.
Grow up. I went to church school for many years. Bigotry is bigotry.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:59 AM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:38 AM
Quote:

This is the kind of thing that denies me hope for all of mankind, yes what the pope said may have been wrong imo but you and anyone else in this thread who personally attacked the man is no better, has he not done many good deeds aswell though, tell me he hasn',t more than you have probably, I mean we cannot take the moral high ground over him at all,

I believe there is a mindset here to see who can be the biggest liberal, I'm not against any group of people except those who are purely ignorant against others, I'd defend the someone who is a decent human no matter be they straight, gay, man, woman or transexual, I find that many here need to look beyond some people archaic believes to see that a good human being essentially is there, sure how I can preach I'm far from perfect but alot of you are being purely reactionary for a reason you feel the need to conform to, hey maybe how the old hate the sin not the sinner here

I'm sorry for those you have keep this civil incase I create an arguement but un needed bashing is not a good thing, I don't agree with any arguement against same sex marraige but I felt the need to speak here

Haha I knew that my spur of the moment post would have got at least one Interferencer all heated up against such a simpistic statement.

Indeed, I maintain anger towards the Pope, on his bigoted, almost selfish stance against gay marriage.

Anyone who considers homosexuals as a "second rate" and not deserving of the same rights as heterosexuals (eg. marriage based on love), posess a "moronic" mindset in my opinion.

Yet although, as was evident on a documentary shown down under a few weeks ago based on the Pope's life, he has done numerous good deeds (concerning his desire for world peace and disdain towards the poverty and political strife in Africa), I still despise the bloke for his views regarding homosexuality.

I mean, what does the guy want? Sure he encourages peace amongst religion and race, yet his persistent stance against homosexuality suggests that he couldn't care less about bringing about peace between sexualities.

It's like walking down a street and interfering when a Catholic is bashing up a Jew, but as you walk on you later see a straight man bashing a gay man, but letting such abuse continue.

The Pope just adds fuel to any hatred that could exist between sexualities.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:45 AM   #179
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:38 AM
I'm not following this love and support of the pope here. What the hell is so grand about him perpetuating division and hatred toward homosexuals? People have mentioned his good deeds. Well boo fucking hoo. He's the bloody pope, you'd hope that SOME of the basic principles of God and love and all that caper would have sunk through his thick skull. No one is here to argue or discuss what good he does, it's the bad. Is he essentially a good man? You know, I doubt it, but I dont know him so any response is not with certainty, but I do doubt it. I dont think it is a great or good person who believes so fully in keeping gay rights off the agenda. I think it is actually pretty fucking appalling. Too bad the person we are discussing happens to be the head of the Catholic Church. And him being sick is too bad, it doesn't exonerate him.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:07 AM   #180
The Fly

Local Time: 09:38 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry if I was generalising but I've done it myself trying to be the bigger liberal than the next guy which is pure stupidity, I'd expect to be flamed biblicly for sugguesting that sort of thing but I find it true and people who proclaim the pope is an asshole is pure ignorance, I'm certain they might of thought of Ghandi as a prick
not ignorance, just the opposite. he thinks he knows all because he is the pope, therefore, we evaluate his stupidity and bigotry and come to the conclusion that he's a phony. ghandi wasn't a prick by the way. you should know better than to make that call.