A new era begins for Cuba - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:51 AM
A new era begins for Cuba

Quote:
Castro resigns as president, state-run paper reports

(CNN) -- Fidel Castro announced his resignation as president of Cuba and commander-in-chief of Cuba's military on Tuesday, according to a letter published in the state-run newspaper, Granma.

Castro, 81, temporarily handed power to his younger brother Raul Castro in July 2006 after undergoing intestinal surgery. He hasn't been seen in public since his surgery, but he has appeared in numerous videos and photos in state media.

In December 2007, a Cuban television news anchor read a letter reportedly written by Fidel Castro promising he would not "cling to office" or be an impediment to rising young leaders. Castro rose to power in 1959.
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/am...tro/index.html

Not sure how I feel about this. While he is (was) a dictator in almost every sense of the word, Castro's done some truly great things for Cuba.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

WOAH

I can't wait to see what the US does re: sanctions. Which should have been dropped years ago anyway.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:51 AM
Nothing will change....yet anyway. Still, We take what we can get at this point.
I'm sure my family in Cuba is privately celebrating...in their heads, of course, to avoid detection and arrest.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Raúl will continue as if nothing has changed. He's practically been running Cuba since 2006 anyway.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Who would be in line after Raul?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

One of his minions? There's no chance of a real election anyway, so the power will just be handed to someone else.

So much for a "Presidency"
Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
WOAH

I can't wait to see what the US does re: sanctions. Which should have been dropped years ago anyway.
I think a lot of bad things have been blamed on Fidel and no one has really stopped to think about this terrible and cruel embargo placed upon Cuba by the US. Shame on the US for trying to control the world.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's a two way street.
U.S. money has been outlawed in Cuba.

And somewhat in the same vein:
Quote:
On Wikipedia, WITH sources
Although Cuba initially declined to engage in such trade having even refused US food aid in the past,[8] seeing it as a half-measure serving U.S. interests, Castro began to allow the purchase of food from the U.S. as a result of Hurricane Michelle in November 2001. These purchases have continued and grown since then. By now (2007) The US is the largest food supplier of Cuba[9]and it's 6th trading partner.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

The US embargo on Cuba is really one of the most hypocritical, nonsensical foreign policy issues the country has. And given the current state of US foreign policy, that's really saying something.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:51 PM
I agree.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I hope the U.S. will lift the embargo.

It would be nice to purchase a Cuban cigar legally.

Wishing Cuba liberty and free elections
Old 02-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
WOAH

Nonsense. The U.S. is doing what is best for the people of Cuba, just like it is doing for the people of Iraq. This is the reason why we are the most respected and loved country in the world, becasue we reach out to help others.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: A new era begins for Cuba

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

Not sure how I feel about this. While he is (was) a dictator in almost every sense of the word, Castro's done some truly great things for Cuba.

Apparently not enough to convince the 2 million Cuban exiles and political refugees now living in the United States to return home or to stop the thousands of "balseros" (rafters) that continue to risk their lives every year to join them.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: A new era begins for Cuba

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

Apparently not enough to convince the 2 million Cuban exiles and political refugees now living in the United States to return home or to stop the thousands of "balseros" (rafters) that continue to risk their lives every year to join them.

Which is kind of ironic considering that the US should be blame for a part of what is putting the country in misery.

I visited Cuba last year and it´s a whole different ideology there.

While there are some good aspects about their communism (ie: hardly any theft, security for everyone, etc.) something happened to me over there that just left me with a sour taste of the whole thing.

Long story short, we were given a bottle of rum at some show we attended. None of us wanted to drink rum so we bought beers and I was carrying the bottle of rum in the back pocket of my jeans. We went to this public carnival and I decided it would be fun to take out the bottle and do some straight-out-of-the-bottle shots. One of the cubans who were there asked me if he could have a drink so I was like "Go for it". As soon as he grabbed the bottle lots of other cubans just swarmed him begging for a drink and trying to have as much as they could. It felt like when you throw a piece of bread at a pond with sardines.

I have lots of mixed feelings towars Cuba´s situation. I think that Fidel has a good natured idea to stand up to the "Empire" but the price his people pay is too high to expect anyone to pay. It´s too much of a sacrifice over an ideology.

I may be wrong, though, and I am definitely willing to learn more about different points of views regarding Cuba.