A Mighty Heart-The Daniel Pearl Movie - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 PM
A Mighty Heart-The Daniel Pearl Movie

I'm posting this here because of the subject matter of the movie, I think it's FYM worthy

The movie is out tomorrow, I will be seeing it. Last night I saw Charlie Rose's interview with Mariane Pearl and Angelina, if you can catch a rerun I highly recommend it. Mariane Pearl is such an impressive woman. She said her revenge is living her life the way she lives it.

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/200...-mariane-pearl

I have always wanted to read the book but I'm ashamed to say I haven't. Now I must buy it.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 05:32 PM
alright...i cant get sound on my computer here at work and don't have the net at home.
how exactly....does she "live her life"? I'm a bit afriad to see the movie...not afraid like OH NO!...just....i dunno...it's sad.
I dont wanna be sad right now...lol

Old 06-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:32 PM
I want to see this movie. I was amazed by Mariane Pearl's strength after her husband disappeared and was killed.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

She basically says she is not terrorized by the fear, is not hateful, she focuses on promoting who Daniel was etc. You can sort of get the idea here..

The Associated Press
Updated: 3:10 p.m. ET June 20, 2007

LOS ANGELES - The filmmakers behind the Daniel Pearl drama “A Mighty Heart” wanted to honor the slain journalist by doing what he did best — tell the straight story, unadorned by opinion, ideology or bias.

Starring Angelina Jolie as Pearl’s widow, “A Mighty Heart” unfolds in docudrama style, its just-the-facts approach putting viewers in the midst of the anguish, hope and heartache that family, friends, and colleagues underwent in the weeks after his kidnapping in Pakistan in January 2002.

Sympathies clearly are with Pearl and his loved ones as victims, but “A Mighty Heart” does not preach or condemn, does not take sides or point fingers. Like last year’s Sept. 11 saga “United 93,” the film simply tells what happened, chronicling the horror and humanity experienced by one family in our new world of terrorism.

“We were making a film about a journalist and felt we should try to reflect that,” said “A Mighty Heart” director Michael Winterbottom, who often applies documentary style and improvisation to heighten the sense of authenticity in his films, which include “Welcome to Sarajevo,” “In This World” and last year’s “The Road to Guantanamo.”

“Mariane and Daniel are both journalists. Obviously, they were trying to report on events and make sure they give as fair a view as they could. We didn’t want to build any opinions into the film; to try to tell it as accurately as possible. Why change it? Why try to dramatize it? Tell it as truthfully as you can.

Though “A Mighty Heart,” which opens Friday, features one of the biggest stars on the planet and was produced by Jolie’s romantic partner Brad Pitt, the film is notably free of Hollywood trappings.

Jolie buries herself in the role of Mariane Pearl, a French radio journalist who was six months pregnant with Daniel’s son at the time her husband was kidnapped.

What follows is a harrowing four weeks in which Jolie’s Pearl copes with false hopes and false alarms, frustrations with the multinational collection of investigators and bureaucrats on the case, and packs of reporters covering her husband’s abduction.

“This story and this time is something that everybody remembered,” Jolie said at May’s Cannes Film Festival,” where “A Mighty Heart” premiered. “Even studio heads actually care about this, they care about Danny Pearl and they care about Mariane. Even when we came to the publicity, they didn’t ask for things that were silly. All anybody had to say was that didn’t feel right, and nobody pushed.”

Based on Mariane Pearl’s memoir “A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl,” the film begins on the day of the Wall Street Journal reporter’s disappearance.

Daniel Pearl — played by Dan Futterman, the screenwriter of 2005’s “Capote” — told Mariane he might be late for dinner, as he had a meeting with a sheik for a story on Islamic militancy. He never came home, and authorities later determined the meeting was a ruse by Islamic militants to kidnap Pearl, who later was beheaded by his captors.

Almost overnight, Mariane Pearl’s circle of friends and associates widens to include U.S. diplomats, Pakistani authorities and dozens of others who take a deep interest in bringing her husband home alive.

‘Our world is becoming so much smaller’
Winterbottom had his actors spend time with their real-life counterparts, allowing the performers to get a better handle on their characters and also giving them insight into how many lives the Pearl story touched.

“When you hear them speak about that event, personally it’s changed their lives forever,” said actress Archie Punjabi, who plays Daniel Pearl’s Wall Street Journal colleague Asra Nomani. “Each one of those people is somebody’s son or daughter or husband or wife. Each one of them stopped their entire life to focus on Danny, and when you meet them, you can see how the events affected their lives.”

One of those affected was the Pearls’ son, Adam, born in France months after his father died. Futterman said he felt great responsibility playing Pearl, knowing the film could one day convey a sense of the man to his son.

“He never got to meet his father. He may see this at some point, and hopefully it will expose him to certain things about his dad and the kind of man he was,” Futterman said.

The fact that “A Mighty Heart” comes from British filmmaker Winterbottom brings the story to a wider audience than if a Pakistani director had shot the film, said Irrfan Khan, an Indian actor playing a Pakistani counterterrorism official who becomes a key ally to Mariane Pearl.

“It’s a great thing that somebody from the Western world has taken an interest in this region,” Khan said. “Our world is becoming so much smaller and smaller, and you cannot remain unaffected by other parts of the world.”

As critical to the story itself is its message of standing fast against terrorism, the filmmakers say.

“The kidnappers, their whole point is to terrorize people,” Jolie’s Mariane tells friends after they learn of Danny’s death. “I am not terrorized, and you should not be terrorized.”

Mariane Pearl felt it was critical to refuse to give in to the fear and hate that terrorism can elicit, Jolie said.

“I think she is a great example of that, because under the most extraordinary circumstances, she remained very focused on ... having sympathy for the other side, even after they did that to her husband,” Jolie said. “And having the openness to learn about them. And I’m sure she feels all that we expect her to feel, but somehow on top of that, she managed to rise above it.”

The filmmakers stuck to that notion, showing a wildly disparate group of people — Americans, Europeans, Pakistanis, Indians and others — coming together with a common goal to bring Daniel Pearl home safely.

“When I met the people involved, it struck me a lot of them had felt defeated, ashamed in a way that they hadn’t brought Danny back. Mariane manages to make them not feel like that. She made them understand a lot of positive things came from that experience,” Winterbottom said. “That must have made a huge difference for them.”
Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

THis has gotten great reviews. I'm going to try to see it this weekend.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm really wanting to see this, too. I've heard wonderful things about Jolie's performance. It's cool to see her humanitarian work and then she's got the talent, too.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

From what I have read it is not political, does not take sides, does not overdramatize- it is documentary style like United 93. So from that standpoint I'm sure it will disappoint some people. But when you listen to Mariane Pearl you realize that this movie should not have been made any other way.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
see her humanitarian work and then she's got the talent, too.

yeah, it is encouraging.

i'm sure she's, erm, complex, but there's no doubt that she's done a great deal of work with refugees and has done the legwork in a manner similar to Bono. she's also a genuinely talented actress, and probably one of the most beautiful women in the world, and in a very distinct way -- no one looks quite like her.

i mean, i'm sick of her and all, but i don't really begrudge her all that much.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:32 AM
The fact that this film got a CAIR endorsement doesn't seem too promising, but im open minded and will probably see it eventually.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The fact that this film got a CAIR endorsement doesn't seem too promising
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
but im open minded
you always write the cleverest things.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:32 AM
How are the two contradictory? Just because a rather dodgy group endorses a film doesn't make it bad, it's merits are found by watching the film itself. Going into a film with pre-existing biases (be it through reviews etc.) happens to all of us, I expect that the movie is going to be politically neutral and focus on the human element, I wouldn't think poorly of it if it does.

I haven't seen the film, I shouldn't make my mind up about it. I have seen CAIR and it's links to Islamist groups as well as advocacy to expand hate speech laws to cover religious belief and have a pretty set picture of what it represents.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Did anyone see it? It tanked at the box office (10th place, 4 million). I think they made a major mistake releasing it in the summer. That is a fall or winter movie.

As a documentary of what went on and what Mariane went through, a small fraction of that, it is good and powerful. But you are left wanting to know so much more-about Daniel Pearl and about their relationship and about the backstory. It just seems like too much of that was left out in the effort to make it a straightforward documentary. I thought Angelina gave a very credible performance.

I don't know anything about what CAIR has said about it, never heard of it. It's definitely not some political rail against all Muslims and all Muslims are terrorists. You can see how the people in Pakistan who happened to be Muslim helped her-and it does show the one general using torture to try to get information about Daniel before he was killed.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Did anyone see it? It tanked at the box office (10th place, 4 million). I think they made a major mistake releasing it in the summer. That is a fall or winter movie.

i agree, but it was on less than 1500 screens, i think. so it might have legs if word-of-mouth is good.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i agree, but it was on less than 1500 screens, i think. so it might have legs if word-of-mouth is good.
I looked it up

"1,355 screens. But the real gauge here is its per screen average, which was extremely low, indicating weak interest in this well-reviewed pic despite a ton of publicity featuring tabloid-favorite Jolie. I believe releasing it this blockbuster-crowded summer, even as counter-programming, was a dumb move. September would have been a better time"

Hey I figured that out all on my own, I should work in Hollywood I think too many people who are moviegoers would rather see something like Evan Almighty, not that there isn't a place for both. I'm not a movie snob, but I have zero interest in seeing that and I won't.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

instead of this movie, i saw "Knocked Up" this weekend and loved it.

it's also such a bummer of a movie, and we know the ending. the appeal of it is Angelina.