A little talk about Christianity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just another point to add, Goal is Soul is for discussing U2 and thier faith and is not to be used as a platforn for religious debate.

my bad...thought you were going with a different discussion. well, if you want to discuss Christianity (though i realize you are tryiong to get another thread back which is...well whatever) you need to say something. so try that.

i'm up to chat about christianity...just ask me something...my beliefs are an open book for who wants to know...

Sorry, RavenStar, but I don't think this will work at all.

Can a discussion about a religion be forced to start in a certain place on request?

Are we Christians supposed to direct our responses to this thread when we see misinformation about us in other threads? or are we just supposed to keep quiet and let other people believe any wrong thing about us they want to? Are we supposed to separate the religion that forms our understanding of the world from our responses and queries in the other religions thread?

What would the reponse be I wonder, if Christians requested that people of other religions stayed out of our debates? The protest would be deafening......

Is respect only one-sided? Must the majority be the only one to respect others and not be entitled to respect in return? Should the majority be afraid to contribute to public debate for fear stepping into a minority's "space"?

What you're asking for just won't happen especially if I see misinformation about my faith. I'm with Bubba on that. I am not going to stand by and just let misconceptions go unchecked.

I can assure you that the intention of the Christians who responded to that thread was never to dominate it or to turn the discussion away from the topic. It just so happened that way. But I believe we've said our piece for now. So feel free to talk away. Just remember that we'll be back if we've got a good reason to.

:mac:

I've never seen Christians as a whole agree on any one thing.
Tell me what some of the 'Christian' perspectives are on people who dont believe in religion? Like are you a sinner? Are you heading for a different place?

Curious.

Depends on what you mean by not believing in religion.
I for one have alwasy hated people referring to me as 'religious'.
It implys ritual and ceremony when christianity is not about that at all.

I'm not religious, I'm christian.

But if by saying you don't believe in religion you mean you don't believe in God or that Jesus came and died for us all thats whole other story!

I hate the term sinner, it implys the person is constantly evil or something. Its a stupid term. I hate a lot of the cliche christian terms people use.
Cut the code talk.

No more "Oh my fellow lambs you must be washed in the blood of the Lamb so that thou may have thy infirmities covered.." etc etc

We've all heard it a hundred times.

So in answer I wouldn't consider that person a "sinner" I'd consider that person somebody who doesn't believe in christianity, probably has misinterpretations of it, probably has had bad experiences with it. Somebody who'd I'd certainly like to sit down and clear things up with.

And as to "the other place"
I guess I would have to say that if someone died not believing in Jesus he/she would maybe not make heaven.

This is a touchy issue because no christian likes saying that to someone, nobody wants to preach hell and brimstone. Its wrong, for one, to place judgement on someone ourselves.

I don't like that particular part of your question

Well, i saw one American politician here onTV.He was talking about the the invasion of the Netherlands to free American prisoners of war. Then he said, we do not have to justify us for our actions too other country`s, we only have to justify us to god. Weell, talking about a easy way out. :( Just bomb other countrys and then say, we only need to justify us to god.

Question,....what for type off Christianity is that ?

That would be abusing religion in order to reach your own selfish goals. I've seen that a hundred times before.

Rono said:
Well, i saw one American politician here onTV.He was talking about the the invasion of the Netherlands to free American prisoners of war. Then he said, we do not have to justify us for our actions too other country`s, we only have to justify us to god. Weell, talking about a easy way out. :( Just bomb other countrys and then say, we only need to justify us to god.

Question,....what for type off Christianity is that ?

Thats not any type of christianity.
neither were the crusades we get so much flack for.
neither does child abuse have any place within christianity.

christianity is none of these things.

Im just saying that the other post is for religions OTHER then Christianity. If it was about lets say...hotdogs(this is just an example, albeit a lame one) and everyone started talking about hamburgers, the ppl who were talking about hotdogs wouldnt be happy. Especially if the post was for discussion on hotdogs only. See my point?

wow basstrap, i really REALLY like what you're saying, just thought i'd share that with you.

rono, you need to take several key items into play here.

1. he's american.

religion here is not the same as anywhere else in the world. the attitude that people carry IS different and i think that people approach religion/God in the same way. it's like a 'deal with it later/find someone else to deal with it later/i can change this to fit me better' kind of attitude. it's hard to explain the american attitude...it always makes us look terrible...probably because a lot of americans are self-centered and--nevermind, this is going nowhere. but my point is that his attitude toward Christianity is going to be different than someone say living in the netherlands (which is not, by any means intended to defend what he's saying, just offering perspective).

2. he's a politician.

these people get paid to bend the truth to justify what they're doing. :rolleyes:

3. just wondering, was it rumsfeld? sorta sounds like him...

Yeah thanks Basstrap for your reply, much appreciated. :)

I hope you weren't getting the wrong impression with my last question. I dont like it either, but I hate the answers it gets even more sometimes. Thats part of the reason why I'm not just non religious, but maybe even anti religious. I am not comfortable with rules of faith or belief being dicatated in a way where there is a right and wrong way. It is something so based on personal choice, and when you apply the pomp and ceremony of many organised religions you suddenly find there are rules to obey, certain norms, ways of approaching things. I dont personally see any evidence to back any of that kind of caper up. To me it is all about faith, and faith is just that. It isnt necessarily based on fact or evidence, merely what basket you choose to put your eggs in so to speak.
I guess for me, i'm hesitant to define my views too clearly for fear of finding they match a particular organised religion and then be told "hang on you're stuffing it up and doing wrong because what you entirely believe in falls short here, here and here" [insert examples here].

I dunno. Its hard to explain, lol.

Back
Top Bottom