A lil' sumthin for my lefty Christian congregation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
http://www.cafepress.com/turn_left

This one reminded me of Melon
23038705_F_store.jpg

For Verte
22152631_F_store.jpg

For Scarletwine
23038799_F_store.jpg

And for the future first Madame President of the USA, U2Dem (maybe I can be her Sec of State ;) )

22152632_F_store.jpg

And finally, for HipHop...not sure why this one reminded me of you, but it did....
24057712_F_store.jpg

I think that all this falls into the same damn trap ~ I don't much care for people dressing up their politics with religiousity; and that goes for every side of the equation.

LOL!

These are great..the "church and hate" one is priceless.....can you blow these up, I'd love to make pins out of them....

BTW, where is your "lefty church" Sherry? Do they have a website? And just FYI, are they located in a suburb or a city setting? All the "God's Politics" churches here seem to be located in city (read: Blue, or lower-income) locations. I'd love to think that there are some suburban chruches that haven't all turned into open Bush recruiting stations....But if it's in a Blue area, that's fine for me too.

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
LOL!

These are great..the "church and hate" one is priceless.....can you blow these up, I'd love to make pins out of them....

BTW, where is your "lefty church" Sherry? Do they have a website? And just FYI, are they located in a suburb or a city setting? All the "God's Politics" churches here seem to be located in city (read: Blue, or lower-income) locations. I'd love to think that there are some suburban chruches that haven't all turned into open Bush recruiting stations....But if it's in a Blue area, that's fine for me too.

Some denominations, like the United Church of Christ or the Episcopalian Church are generally theologically liberal across the board, there are a few exceptions but those are in the minority. It doesn't really matter what kind of neighborhood you live in, if a church is connected with a liberal denomination it will probably be liberal as well.

Liberal, however, in the theological sense. Politically they won't take sides though the congregation may lead a certain way. (Though to be fair, when it comes to politics in church, I gotta agree with A_Wanderer).

AWanderer, you raise a serious and valid concern. I intend the thread to be lighthearted, but still, your point is good. However, for my entire lifetime (I'm 30), the media, much church leadership and US culture in general has widely assumed that to be Christian is to be conservative. The left is to blame for this just as much as the right, with their "people of faith need not apply" attitude that some have. (Note the "some".) I actually think raising teh kinds of points and questions that are found here in these silly buttons and bumperstickers is an important act as a Christian, one that God demands if I'm serving him with my *mind*. There are strong points to raise about the death penalty, about fighting poverty and how to best do it, about gays and interpretation of the Bible, about women, about war, etc. For too long, those questions have been unasked and those debates have not happened--because of the silence of lefty and moderate Christians, and because of the manner in which SOME (again note the some) conservative Chrisitans have demonized liberal politics to shut down debate rather than encourage it.

Plus, you know, I'm pretty certain that my conservative brethern here might like some of these, too, at least a few. "God Bless everyone, no expections"--I could see NBC being on board with that. He's stated, if I recall rightly, that he doens't feel hate preechers like Jerry Falwell and co speak for him, even if they are painted by the same brush labled "right". If conservative Christians aren't well represented by the Gary Bauers and James Dobsons and Richerd Whatshislastname, well, they need to speak up too!

The monlogue has now ended. :)

Teta, I'm in Arlington, which is indeed pretty urban. No connection to these bumperstickers, though. I just found them on the website in my original post, which is where anyone interested can find them.

Sherry, they ARE attempting to speak up. That's what I meant by a "God's Politics" church. ("God is neither a Republican nor a Democrat.") Jim Wallis, the author of the book, is a Republican, but his book and website, sojo.org, is a clarion call to people who refuse to fall into one "side" or the other. A "God's Politics" churuch is liberal in Lemonfix's sense....theologically liberal (ie: inclusive.)

Presently, they're attempting to organize conscien tiouscongregatrions to come together across the divide and form Dobson-style "Rapid Action" teams to counter, say, the fantastically hypocritical "Restoration Project" currently under way in Ohio and Texas....USA Today had a big article on this about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the tips though. The myth being currently propogated by Bush's Taliban minions is that the "right" churches ("right" as in this is the right church to go to) are located in suburbs, in middle class environs, while anyone else who goes to a "liberal" church (but hey, liberals don't go to church at all, as everyone knows!) is in a "Blue" area.....not suburban middle class (read: not like you and me) and in the cities.

Re: Re: Re: A lil' sumthin for my lefty Christian congregation

Sonoftelepunk said:

I think it's funny that there's no question mark there. So it's not asking a question.

I think a question mark was just not visually pleasing in that design. But the "would" leading off makes it a question anyway.

Teta040 — are you sure Wallis is a Republican? I know he's pro-life, but I thought he was more of a pro-life democrat? :eyebrow: Maybe not.
Whatever the case, everyone should read "God's Politics." It's truly amazing. I think even liberals and non-Christians would be shocked with some of his points.

Sherry Darling said:

And finally, for HipHop...not sure why this one reminded me of you, but it did....
24057712_F_store.jpg

Thanks :) you really have picked out the one that fits me most.. very nice :hug:

Re: Re: A lil' sumthin for my lefty Christian congregation

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Thanks :) you really have picked out the one that fits me most.. very nice :hug:

:D I'm so glad you liked it! :hug: BTW, a little something is headed your way in the mail. :hug:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom