A Job For Every Graduate!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Suicide U.: Iran registers volunteers for martyrdom

LONDON ? Iran has established what could be the first training center for Islamic suicide attackers.

Iranian sources and media asserted that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps has established a center to train suicide attackers throughout the world. The sources identified the center as the World Islamic Martyrs and Fighters Staff Headquarters.

Now, this type of education the world can do without....

It's part of Iran's comprehensive "faith-based" social services. :p

Religion pisses me off.

Melon

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Athiesm doesn't have much going for it either (USSR, China, Cuba, North Korea).

You can defeat rational ideas (communism), but irrational ideas (religion) are just too preposterous to even counter.

That's why I think the "war on terrorism" will likely end up as futile as the "war on drugs." Because think about it:

1) If a religious fanatic gets good luck and support, that means that God likes them.
2) If a religious fanatic gets bad luck and is derided, that means that Satan is trying to tempt them, and God likes them.
3) If a religious fanatic lives a long life, that means that they are blessed and God likes them.
4) If a religious fanatic is killed, that means that they were too good and God still likes them.

Get the pattern? No matter what you do, the outcome is still the same. Perhaps the only way terrorism will end is to hope that human greed will topple Islam just like human greed toppled communism. Rather than slap sanctions and blow up their infrastructure, maybe it is time to unleash the raw destructiveness of American multinational corporations, with their flashy logos, large amount of packaging waste, and their desire to plaster their logo on everything, living or inanimate.

Melon

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Shouldn't the word "material" be used instead of "rational". Communism and the like is strictly a material world view.

No. "Rational" simply means based on reason and logic. Religion isn't based on any form of reason or logic, but rather on "faith." Put simply, you can have a logical discussion about the merits and disadvantages of a philosophy such as communism. You can never have such a discussion about religion because those who follow a particular religion do so out of faith, not out of any sort of reason or logic.

I think a few people here are being too hard on religion, to the point of putting "faith" in quotes. I have no problem with people being atheists, agnostics, or seekers, but notice I don't put any of those terms in quotes.

It is possible to be both religious and intellectual (see St. Thomas Aquinas, Edith Stein, Elizabeth Johnson, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King...). Being intellectual certainly requires some logic, and persons who are religious do not have to surrender to the logical doublethink Melon describes.

I have a bit more FAITH in all of your senses of fairness and intelligence than what a few of you are displaying. Please play fair.

So reason and logic is behind the Stalinist purges and famines, Lenin's terrorizing of the kulaks, and the mindless violence of focoism? When boiled down to its essence, Communism is also faith based-faith that humans will put aside all differences and cooperate in a utopian society.

Back
Top Bottom