A few thousand reasons why the USA is still great - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2004, 09:24 AM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

Why am I to believe France or Germany or Kofi Annan, when it is proven FACT that France, Germany and the UN were involved in a huge scandle with Saddam, and that if Saddam was removed from power, those parties would stand to lose billions of dollars, money which was supposed to be going to feed Iraqi citizens in the first place. What makes them the moral authority on this issue? They've got their hand in the cookie jar, too.
I find it very interesting that the left has been so quiet about this issue. So many people stated that the motivation for Bush to go to war with Iraq was because of oil but you very rarely hear what other countries'motivations were for NOT wanting us to go to war. These guys (France, China, Russia, Annan) need to get off the moral high horse because their hands seem to have a little dirt on them as well. They all talk about the horrors of Bush is doing to the Iraqi people but you know what? They frickin' stole food out of Iraqi's children's mouthes! That's low.

I also find it interesting that there was no mention of the Oil for Food Heist in the Moore documentary. Hmmmm...biased! No way. You wanna talk conspiracy, let's talk about the greatest heist of all time.

Old 11-12-2004, 03:04 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23
There seem
Oh, by the way, apologizing to Europe?! Puuulease! How about them apologizing for their blatent involvement in the largest heist in world history (Oil for Food Heist), and all that at the expense of innocent Iraqi people.
Who do you think "Europe" is?

The USA is one country with one government.

Europe is a continent with how many dozen countries, how many dozen languages spoken, how many dozen cultures, how many religions practiced? So you know what, no, you cannot blame "Europe" for the "blatant involvement in the largest heist" because the vast majority of European nations had nothing whatsoever to do with it at all - they neither participated nor benefitted.

Please be more specific, because I'd love to know what some peasant in Kosovo or Malta is responsible for when it comes to Food for Oil.

Old 11-13-2004, 01:00 AM   #48
The Fly

Anitram is 100% correct.

Let's not throw the babies out with the Freedom Fries!

It's not Europe, it's the corrupt, guilty-as-hell gov't of France.

If only France and many other ungrateful countries would pay America what it owes US -- multiple millions since WWII -- America would have no national debt!
Old 11-13-2004, 02:02 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 AM
more reasons ?

terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi

and a lieutenant, Abdullah Junabi, both escape
Old 11-15-2004, 02:05 AM   #50
The Fly

Sad-damn Hinsane didn't! The two evil monkeys U stated will be got. Not to worry that America is losing its touch; we're not! Outta curiosity, what country are U from -- or just down deep?

P.S. Ahnold for President!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:18 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
59 million reasons America is still great:

The American people told Europe to shove it and re-elected President Bush.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:02 PM
You've all got such naive, simplified views. That goes to both sides of the argument.
The truth is grey, not black or white.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
You've all got such naive, simplified views. That goes to both sides of the argument.
The truth is grey, not black or white.
I don't consider my views simplified. I know they're complicated, and I try to present them for other people in a way they can understand them. Am I doing too good of a job?

To explain why I hold complicated views, let me set some examples on some issues my party supports that I question or disagree with...

#1: Gun Issues.

I know there's been cases where gun ownership has saved lives, but there's been plenty of cases where children, friends, and family members have been shot or killed by misuse of it. I do question the 2nd Amendment's relevance in modern times. Our population has grown enormously over the past 50 years, therefore we have more criminals living in the US than ever before. I have a gut feeling that we should start banning firearms in highly populated areas, particularly urban ones because they have a higher crime rate. I think we would see an enormous drop in the crime rate.

#2: Capital Punishment.

Unless we can prove for a fact that we have the right killer, and he had a prior criminal record, there is no basis for the death penalty. However, I still believe that if we can prove beyond any reasonable doubt, that this killer did an unusually cruel act, then yes, he (or she) deserves a punishment that fits the crime. I get tired of hard rightwingers in my own party that say that murderers deserve very painful punishments. In my eyes, it's society that deserves justice, and if we must kill the killer, we should continue to make it as painless as possible.

#3: Allowing Torture To War Criminals.

I don't even think I need to explain why this is flat out wrong.

#4: Affirmative Action.

From having a mild hearing disability, I will credit the left on this: you have advanced the workforce in order for my uncontrollable hearing impairment not to be discriminated against. I still question why make race such an issue though. Shouldn't we allow minorities to feel that they're as valued in our society as us whites? Feel free to disagree.

#5: Negative Advertising.

I understand that politics can get nasty, but I had respect for John McCain to draw the line when my party was considering running a very demeaning ad campaign against Kerry. I feel that both parties need to make an effort to work together on more non-partisan issues to make the world a better place.

There you have the left/moderate side of my brain. I hope you think I'm greyer than an old man.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:59 AM   #54
The Fly

Deep Doo-Doo

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
more reasons ? Terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi
and a lieutenant, Abdullah Junabi, both escape
It's queer, unfair and unbalanced that U would pick 2 of the 3 that we know escaped for the moment yet fail to mention the tens of thousands who have been killed and jailed!

Moreover, the topic of this file is 59 (updated to 60) million reasons that America is still great! U are totally off topic, as U well know via your diversion.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:18 AM   #55
Refugee

Y'know before joining in the dialogues here at interference my assumption was that most U2 fans are liberal. Obviously U2 fans are far more diverse. And, that's not such a bad thing.

as of 3:04 am EST Nov 17, 2004 there are 294,773,654 reasons America is great. All of these people (red, yellow, black and white) are precious. Even if 53 percent of the voters on Nov 2 voted for the wrong guy (in my opinion) that doesn't take away their worth. I certainly am guilty of this, but can we please make stronger arguments than europe sucks ass, and all republicans are idiots. Let us tone down the heat.
Here are some questions I'm interested in: 1) if Bush is such an idiot, how has he managed to beat us three times (if you don't want to count the 2000 election fine, but he still beat democrates in texas for the governorship and just recently)? 2) why shouldn't europe care about our elections? (globalization)? 3) why is it okay for the US to bomb places where it is known that little children will die, but abortion is wrong? 4) why is it wrong that the US bomb children and not wrong to have an abortion? 5) what the hell is up with that girl and the gun? is that supposed to make me feel safe?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:32 AM   #56
The Fly

Bono is politically pragmatic!

Bono is more diverse politically than most people realize, too!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:22 AM   #57
Refugee

He certainly has claimed to be bipartisan which is so unhip for rock stars, especially rock stars with causes; however, this is what makes our man, the man. AIDS, the quality of human life, love and (ooh insert cheesy line) all that can't be left behind, are far greater than party lines and politics.
We know the Edge and larry are not comfortable with some of the people bono has met, but the cause is too great. Some have suggested that Crumbs is Bono frustrated at America's religiousness; I think Crumbs is Bono pleading with them, not slapping them. the woman who asked jesus for "crumbs" was not negative to jesus, she was desperate. ok, i'm off topic here.
I guess what I am saying is maybe we ought to look to our favorite singer as far as politics are concerned. There is left and right, and then there is the higher ground.