A diamond/PBS invitation, for the curious, openminded, and intellectuals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will you accept the invitation and watch the Frontline/PBS special on Mormons?

• Yes, I'm very curious and will watch it on 4/30 and 5/1

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I may if I have time.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Yes, I absolutely will.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I won't watch it as I think the LDS/Mormons are a godless cult

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I have no opinion but will form an opinion after watching this on 4/30 and 5/1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • diamondbruno9, are you trying to sell us something?

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I plan to watch this and offer my thoughts after viewing this

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I will watch this to validate all of my fears about the LDS/Mormon religion.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's funny, you say you've forgiven those who question your faith, but you keep making personal attacks because I have a different view. And I haven't even attacked you personally.

No one has personally attacked you in this thread, but only called you out on how you present Mormons as not being Christian as you understand it.

You've admitted not being an expert on Mormonism, you have not read the book of Mormon, nor the Bible in it's entirety, based on what I gather from your posts. You only repeat worn out arguments I've heard for the last quarter century, where nobody can prove if it's true or not, it's comes down to a person's faith.

You listen to Evangelicals who are divisive, label certain religious groups, Christian and Non Christian, and give potentail converts to Christiany a bad name.

And for that I hold no animosity towards you, and know one day
that we'll both know what is truth of all these matters in due time.

In the meantime, in this earth life I think that we should preach of Christ the best way that each of us understand him, with respect for one another's beliefs without pointing out who we think who has the better understanding of Him.

Fair enough?

dbs

Last edited:
diamond, calling me names like "antimo" and linking me to Right Wing Republicans when I say I'm not one isn't exactly proof you hold no animosity toward me. You either do, or you don't. You either forgive, or you don't. Does that make sense? And just because I disagree with you in spiritual matters doesn't mean I don't hold you in high esteem from what I've read in your other posts, or even for your dedication to your faith. That's great. I still believe a good discussion on the differences in our faiths can take place though. Why is that such a bad thing?

And yes, you are right on one thing -- I don't see Mormonism as Christianity because it's not. I feel I've clearly laid out the case for that, and I've heard very little in response to contradict it. If what I'm saying is a worn out argument, then where are your answers to them? I'm not saying that to attack you, it's a serious question.

And yes, I agree, we should share what we know about Christ. That's our job as followers of him -- to share his love, mercy, compassion, forgiveness and above all, how to have a relationship with him that brings salvation. The problem though is that you and I believe in different Christs.

Like I've said before, if we believe in different Christs, but both claim to be Christians, what's up with that? Why is there a difference? I think that's worth discussing. There's nothing wrong with discussion and friendly debate. It's healthy. It's important. It gets us to the truth.

Maybe the problem is the churches I've attended in my life each encourage this, and, according to the PBS documentary and from what I've heard from ex-Mormon family members, the Mormon church doesn't encourage people to question matters of faith. Is that part of it?

That you don't acknowledge me or other faiths as Christains is what I, as well some others I'm sure take offense to, and I do not think Evangeicals such as yourself have the authority to do so.

And being a Christian I don't see things as black and white from your Evangelical view point, nor will I ever.

I'm secure enough in my relationship with God and my Faith, to not find fault with other Faiths. This is in contrast to what you've presented here, and what Evangelicals/Born Agains seem obsessed with.

And for that I forgive you and love you unconditionally as a brother in Christ, but I do not love or accept what you say about certain Christian sects.

Understood?

dbs

Last edited:
But that's just it. You're ignoring the fact that I do acknowledge other faiths. Like I've said before, there are beautiful aspects to other faiths. I can't deny that. And there's some great people that follow them, I'm sure you're one of them, I can't deny that either. There's nothing wrong with discussing differences though. I don't see why you feel that way. You say you're secure enough in your faith to not find faults in other faiths, but did you know many leaders of your faith - including the Book of Mormon - say that all other faiths, including mainline Christianity, are wrong? If your faith says that, but the Bible says stuff like "Woe to those who preach a different Gospel" and such, how can we not discuss things? And again, stop with the labeling. What are you trying to get at with calling me Evangelical and Born-again. If you're a Christian, you're evangelical and born-again. There's no way around it.

Why don't we move on to something else other than trying to label me.

Based on my posts in this thread, I think I've been conciliatory, and I know my Church to be more inclusionary than Born Again/Evangelical movement.

Yes, I've accepted Christ long ago, so that makes me 'born again'.

I know that Mormons are Christians, and I know that some born again Christians mis label other Christian faiths -Mormon being one, and many others.

The question is who commissioned the Born Again/Evangelicals to speak for Christ?

Did Christ come down in his glory and appear to one of them and say "go forth and tell all Mormons/Muslims/Hindu/7th Day Adventists/Amish/Jehovah's Witnesses/Buddists/New Age Spiritulists that they are wrong and all damned to Hell"?

Or did they appoint themselves?

This is what Born Again Christians do, as evidenced in this thread. As a believer in Christ I think they are in error and will let God and Christ judge between me and them at the last day.

Are we clear?

dbs

Have I said anyone was going to hell? You're right. It's up to God.

Besides, everything you just posted can be turned around and said about you.

You should read BVS's post. He's exaclty right.

Now, can we move on to something a little more indepth? Is that OK?

Coemgen,

So if it's up to God and Christ did not appear to you personally, and authorize you to critique Christian Mormons, why don't you leave it up to God, instead of picking apart the Faith of others?

dbs

I said this earlier in the thread:

That said, I will answer your questions once for the benifit of the participants inthis thread,but I will not debate you , you have your beliefs and I will not fault you, you're entitled to them and that you're not actually really curious about by faith other than trying to tear it down, I thought it would necessary to address and answer some of the claims you've made against my faith -which I take offense to.

That said the majority of the participants have remained neutral, friendly or ambiveliant about Mormonism, except one.

My object was to let people here know of another Christian Faith (Mormons) that has interesting American and polictical roots in our country.

If there was an a PBS Special on Amish, I would not sprout off saying "Umm you know these people aren't really Christians."

Most Mormons, like myself, are far more concerned with reconciliation with God through Jesus Christ than by affirmation from other Christians. How Jesus Christ judges my Christianity is infinitely more important than how other Christians judge it.

So 'dude' get over it.

dbs

diamond said:
Coemgen,

So if it's up to God and Christ did not appear to you personally, and authorize you to critique Christian Mormons, why don't you leave it up to God, instead of picking apart the Faith of others?

dbs

There's a difference between discussing differences in people's faith and telling people they're going to hell. There's nothing wrong with discussing differences. Besides, if you want to go back to the Bible, questioning those who may be outside of the faith's core is nothing new. It's good. It's encouraged.

Last edited:
diamond said:
How Jesus Christ judges my Christianity is infinitely more important than how other Christians judge it.

You know what? I agree with you here. :wink:

Let's just leave it at that.

Did you have a good weekend?

They've put up some good games. They're a contender.

I haven't been into the NBA much since Magic, Bird and Jordan left (Stockton and Malone, too). It's fun to watch the playoffs though.

Back
Top Bottom